Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 01:58 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times

Advertisements

Why are ticket prices so high on SW? Better question why do so many think their low.

I have been trying to book a RT flight from Tampa to Providence for my neighbor. Its for this month into mid Oct. The prices are a joke. $200 to $500 each way. No matter what day the fares are like this. He wants SW because they have at least 1 nonstop flight. These fares are for stops or changes in Baltimore as well.

I ran into this a few years ago, when I needed a ticket. I wondered then how an airline, that has no seat assignment get away with such high fares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 02:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I just made some sample look ups for mid Oct and found prices very reasonable, around $215 round trip. That includes about $60 in government taxes too. All carriers were about the same. United, American, etc.

I think your neighbor is expecting too much, around $100 each way...that is crazy cheap relative to the value that you get.

SWA isn't a low fare airline anymore.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:07 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Summer travel time. Check back in February.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:55 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
I don't know how long your friend wants to go our how specific his dates are, but the best fare with one stop is Oct 16 - Oct 23 on American Airlines. Plebian class.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:31 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
If you want non-stop from TPA to PVD and to fly in the next 30 days, it's not going to be cheap. If you wanted a cheap or low cost non-stop flight between those two cities, somewhere in the mid-September to mid-October range, I would have booked it awhile ago. Plus, it looks like only two airlines fly non-stop between TPA and PVD, Southwest and Frontier.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:52 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Thanks for taking the time to look up some flights, and the comments. My neighbor is almost 80, and that's why he wants a nonstop. He has some trouble walking, so a nonstop is only what he is comfortable with. It doesn't seem like he will be able to make this trip. Its over His budget I imagine. His family will probably come and visit him down here.

Thanks again

Old 09-14-2018, 08:05 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times
Frontier will likely have cheaper flights, but the comfort and the service won’t be as good. There will also be more fees.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:06 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
SWA isn't a low fare airline anymore.
I agree with that but they're still a solid option. The AA fares above, for example, are Basic Economy (the poster did note that they were "Plebian Class"), so pretty much nothing but a seat that they select for you, with probably no overhead bin space since you board last. Checked baggage extra (true of all the legacy airlines unless you have their credit card or Elite status, or on very expensive fares). Southwest does not charge for bags and does give you the chance to "upgrade" to early boarding.

I also find them to be actually happy that you're on the plane, and their use of a single aircraft (737s) means it's easier to swap them out when something goes wrong. I just booked them for a trip where they were the only nonstops. Total RT was $317 MCI-LAS.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:32 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,212,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Why are ticket prices so high on SW? Better question why do so many think their low.
Well many who think they're low aren't going into it with unrealistic expectations - as in flying out of a minor airport in Florida but demanding a non stop flight.

Quote:
I have been trying to book a RT flight from Tampa to Providence for my neighbor. Its for this month into mid Oct. The prices are a joke. $200 to $500 each way. No matter what day the fares are like this. He wants SW because they have at least 1 nonstop flight. These fares are for stops or changes in Baltimore as well.
Sorry that you think $200 round trip is a joke. You will not find cheaper flights, let's be realistic.

Quote:
I ran into this a few years ago, when I needed a ticket. I wondered then how an airline, that has no seat assignment get away with such high fares.
What do seat assignments have to do with anything? Southwest is literally the only US airline that does this. In other words every other airline assigns seats. Don't search Southwest if this bothers you.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:02 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I agree with that but they're still a solid option. The AA fares above, for example, are Basic Economy (the poster did note that they were "Plebian Class"), so pretty much nothing but a seat that they select for you, with probably no overhead bin space since you board last. Checked baggage extra (true of all the legacy airlines unless you have their credit card or Elite status, or on very expensive fares). Southwest does not charge for bags and does give you the chance to "upgrade" to early boarding.

I also find them to be actually happy that you're on the plane, and their use of a single aircraft (737s) means it's easier to swap them out when something goes wrong. I just booked them for a trip where they were the only nonstops. Total RT was $317 MCI-LAS.
IMO the basic economy and SWA fares are similar. The big difference in that at SWA you can check your bag for free at the ticket counter. At AA, you can either bring it on board or check it at the gate, both for free. Since both don't have seat assignments that is also similar.

I do agree about consistency of their product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation