Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:42 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,301,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Nothing can be as bad as Air India.

Skytrax has a perfectly reasonable review of them. They're ok. Very Chinese, which means meh food and sometimes questionable service, but they're not bad.

https://www.airlinequality.com/info/...tern-airlines/
I think the biggest factor about flying Chinese airlines, particularly if you need to do a connection at their hubs, is the chance for delays. The infrastructure can't keep up with the demands.

Which is why I took a high speed train from Shanghai to Beijing, then a taxi to Beijing Capital Airport to catch my flight back to the US, instead of a connecting flight directly from PVG or SHA to PEK. Too chancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 03:27 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,230,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I think the biggest factor about flying Chinese airlines, particularly if you need to do a connection at their hubs, is the chance for delays. The infrastructure can't keep up with the demands.

Which is why I took a high speed train from Shanghai to Beijing, then a taxi to Beijing Capital Airport to catch my flight back to the US, instead of a connecting flight directly from PVG or SHA to PEK. Too chancy.
Totally agree. I'd take advantage of the free visa, fly into PVD, spend a day in Shanghai, and then catch your flight out the next day, that way you're not as stressed if there's a delay. It's odd. Their trains run fantastically on time. Aircraft, not so much.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:30 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 3 days ago)

43,406 posts, read 44,120,956 times
I have only flown China Eastern once on a Chinese domestic flight from Jinan to Xi'an in 2013. The service was very good and the legroom on the plane was fine but it was only an hour and half flight. I also got Delta frequent flyer miles from the flight as they are a partner of theirs which I found out when I checked into the flight in Jinan.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:04 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,518,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I flew LOT Polish which was over 1,000 dollars less than Lufthansa or United. The service or food wasn’t as good
For a thousand dollars I could put up with a lot of horrible food. In fact I'd be fine with no food for G, I could spend $15 in the airport to bring something. Hell I'd probably let every flight attendant hit me with a bag of cotton balls for a thousand bucks difference.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:38 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 3 days ago)

43,406 posts, read 44,120,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have only flown China Eastern once on a Chinese domestic flight from Jinan to Xi'an in 2013. The service was very good and the legroom on the plane was fine but it was only an hour and half flight. I also got Delta frequent flyer miles from the flight as they are a partner of theirs which I found out when I checked into the flight in Jinan.
I also want to mention that I was even served a light meal (vegetarian style) on this short flight which was unexpected but quite nice.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:53 AM

One must keep in mind that some of ratings for China Eastern are the fault of the Chinese aviation system, if the majority of their flights originate/arrive from really busy airports that are known for delays across all airlines it will reflect on their statistics.

Bottom line = it's same ****, different toilet. You go to airport, get onto plane, hear the same announcements in whatever language, and arrive at your destination.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:47 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,301,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
One must keep in mind that some of ratings for China Eastern are the fault of the Chinese aviation system, if the majority of their flights originate/arrive from really busy airports that are known for delays across all airlines it will reflect on their statistics.

Bottom line = it's same ****, different toilet. You go to airport, get onto plane, hear the same announcements in whatever language, and arrive at your destination.
Well put. In this context, I'm more concerned about flights getting delayed significantly as opposed to differences in inflight service.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:18 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,135,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well put. In this context, I'm more concerned about flights getting delayed significantly as opposed to differences in inflight service.
It depends on the length of the flight. If it extends over 8 hours, I care about the service.

Because if it is a long haul flight, usually by the 6th hour the bathroom becomes filthy and even running out of toilet papers. Only flight attendants of certain airlines, i.e. those based in Japan and Korea, will clean up the bathrooms.

Usually I select to fly them even if I have to pay a premium.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:06 PM

With stuff like that I can always get caught up in more "could you pay me to do that" mental gymnastics.

If a flight is $200 more but has cleaner bathrooms at the end of the flight I'd be thinking what I'd do if someone offered me $200 cash to choose the dirtier bathroom for the two minute event. Invariably I decide I would accept their offer and enter the dirtier bathroom with $200 in my pocket on the way out.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:45 AM

326 posts, read 668,609 times
I find it interesting how almost everyone seems to take safety for granted and only worries about cost, comfort and on time performance. Trust me people, I have enough info from fellow pilots that have flown for Chinese carriers that I won't fly on them. Yes, they don't crash left, right and center, but that's not proof of a good safety culture. I'm sure things have changed for the better and will continue to do so but I still feel safer on board a Western aircraft. I'll give you an example: Western companies usually have a just safety culture which is no-blame if honest mistakes are being reported so that everyone can learn from them. Chinese carriers not so much from what I hear. In fact you may have salary decoctions for safety events. So the result is people will try to cover up and sweep under the carpet rather than owning up and making the system safer. That's not just in the cockpit but throughout the airline organizations and beyond (maintenance, air traffic control, authorities etc). Then there are the cultural differences including the desire to not lose ones face. Again, not what is needed in a safety critical environment where it shouldn't be about who is right but what is right. Just wanted to leave those thoughts with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation