Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:10 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times

Advertisements

I guess we all know what kind of students the flight instructors like. What kind of students do they hope not to get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 09:33 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Dangerous ones.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:33 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
My guess would be those who think they've learned it all once they've soloed.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:23 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
My guess would be those who think they've learned it all once they've soloed.

Or those who know it all before they solo.

I had, as an instructor in the F-16 FTU (the schoolhouse) a couple of students who, because they had MS Flight Sim or similar, knew everything about everything. Which they didn't. One washed out.

I have been told by a CFI friend from college (probably close to 10K hours now) that the worst students are the arrogant know-it-alls when it comes to training, they put themselves into situations from which they can't get out. However, I also knew, before I joined the Air Force, some very timid, hesitant novice pilots. They can be equally dangerous because they may freeze up or fail to act when something goes awry. The couple I did know back then never finished training.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:26 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
One of my CFI's had a student that froze up, and wouldn't release the yoke in an aggravated stall, then spin scenario. The Instructor had to punch the guy to get him to give up control of the plane, or they would have both died. Yeah, the arrogant ones must be a pain in the *ss too.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Or those who know it all before they solo.

I had, as an instructor in the F-16 FTU (the schoolhouse) a couple of students who, because they had MS Flight Sim or similar, knew everything about everything. Which they didn't. One washed out.

I have been told by a CFI friend from college (probably close to 10K hours now) that the worst students are the arrogant know-it-alls when it comes to training, they put themselves into situations from which they can't get out. However, I also knew, before I joined the Air Force, some very timid, hesitant novice pilots. They can be equally dangerous because they may freeze up or fail to act when something goes awry. The couple I did know back then never finished training.

Yeah, they're out there!

I had been trying to generate some interest in forming a flying club in my area with little success. One of the responses I got to a Craigslist posting was from a 23 year old who told me "I know everything there is to know about light aircraft". I couldn't hit delete fast enough.

Two of the CFIs I spent the most time with were both ex-USAF (C-141s and B-52s respectively) and both furloughed Eastern Airline pilots. One day I asked one of them if it wasn't a bit boring in the C-150s after some of the things he'd flown, his response was he continued to learn new things virtually every flight he took. He was a wonderful instructor to fly with.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:22 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Yeah, they're out there!

I had been trying to generate some interest in forming a flying club in my area with little success. One of the responses I got to a Craigslist posting was from a 23 year old who told me "I know everything there is to know about light aircraft". I couldn't hit delete fast enough.

Two of the CFIs I spent the most time with were both ex-USAF (C-141s and B-52s respectively) and both furloughed Eastern Airline pilots. One day I asked one of them if it wasn't a bit boring in the C-150s after some of the things he'd flown, his response was he continued to learn new things virtually every flight he took. He was a wonderful instructor to fly with.
When I was a young lieutenant in the A-10, the day I was certified as a flight lead my ops officer stated "Every time you fly, strive to learn something new, good or bad. Otherwise the mission has been a waste of JP-4." He was a great man, former Misty FAC in Vietnam, full of sage advice. I took it to heart, and found I could sometimes learn from the young guys or even from students.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
When I was a young lieutenant in the A-10, the day I was certified as a flight lead my ops officer stated "Every time you fly, strive to learn something new, good or bad. Otherwise the mission has been a waste of JP-4." He was a great man, former Misty FAC in Vietnam, full of sage advice. I took it to heart, and found I could sometimes learn from the young guys or even from students.

Good teachers are a joy to study with, bad ones the pits. I once had a calculus professor who though brilliant, would fill three blackboards going through one problem and be completely unable to understand why we all hadn't been born knowing what he'd just done.

I always tried to learn something new during every flight and feel I was lucky to draw some really good teachers. I also find it a good plan to try and learn something new everyday, if nothing else it helps keep the dogs of boredom away.

I know the meaning of FAC but does 'Misty' have some significance?

Old 10-20-2018, 12:55 PM

674 posts, read 608,609 times
Quote:
I know the meaning of FAC but does 'Misty' have some significance?
MISTY FACs | Over North Vietnam: 1967-1970

My father-in-law flew F-5s during that war, and spent 12 years in a POW camp after the war ended.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
MISTY FACs | Over North Vietnam: 1967-1970

My father-in-law flew F-5s during that war, and spent 12 years in a POW camp after the war ended.

Thanks for that! Interesting piece.

I never realized POWs were imprisoned so long after the war, was that an unusual circumstance or?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation