Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 06:41 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I don't think Boeing is the primary suspect. But they may end up a victim anyway especially since Southeast Asia countries have ordered 493 B737 Maxs and possibly some of the 850 unidentified orders.

If Lion Air goes bankrupt that alone is a huge number of Boeing orders.
I didn’t even think of that. I have no idea what Lion Air's financial standing is, but I tentatively think that even after the lawsuits they should be to weather it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
No report of any findings yet. Here is an "Indonesian aviation expert"'s guess of possible cause: Possible fault in Lion Air plane similar to a cause of Air New Zealand Airbus A320 France crash
It sounds like it possibly could be misinterpreted readings from the instruments that resulted in the crash. There’s only so much a manufacturer can do to prevent errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 04:58 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
From the many plane crash videos I watched, a lot of accidents were caused by improper maintenance. Wrong parts install, even a single wrong screw can take hundreds of lives. I think I read that the plane just had maintenance service the day before. If it's maintenance problem, the airline would be responsible. But let's see.
On one of the cable channels there is an airplane disasters show that's very eye opening. It shows a lot of the plane crashes and how pilots used to do their own job but not know how to communicate with each other if they had issues, resulting in crashes. IIRC training changed after that, especially in the US. I want to say it was world wide but I can't recall because it's been a year since I saw it.

You're right, so many things can make a plane crash from wrong or broken parts to pilot error. This was a new plane, I'm guessing it will be part plane malfunction, part pilot error.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:03 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I didn’t even think of that. I have no idea what Lion Air's financial standing is, but I tentatively think that even after the lawsuits they should be to weather it. It sounds like it possibly could be misinterpreted readings from the instruments that resulted in the crash. There’s only so much a manufacturer can do to prevent errors.
Well someone has to take the blame. You have a brand new aircraft with 800 hours of active service that didn't even undergo a serious maintenance session. The jet had problems minutes after taking off. Logically it is probably some serious error. But organizations are quick to try and spread responsibility.

Personally, I don't remember a crash with such a new jet in history.

B737 Max Orders (variant not specified) total 4754
Southeast Asia 493
East Asia 314
South Asia 342
Central Asia 1

North America 1214
Europe 755
Unidentified 850

Caribbean 95
Central America and Mexico 121
South America 161

Africa 47
Oceania 49
Middle East 312

Old 11-01-2018, 11:24 AM

1,057 posts, read 868,076 times
Yea I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the plane. Unfortunately in this part of the world, there are probably more air crashes than anywhere else. Let’s just wait and see what went wrong.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:40 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Indonesia has one of the worst airline safety records in the world. Until only recently, several of its airlines including Lion Air were banned from flying in the European Union and US for many years. Looks like they lifted the ban to soon. The AirAsia flight that crashed a couple years ago killing all 155 onboard was another Indonesian airline. It was caused by pilot error. Boeing had nothing to do with it.

Lion Air: A look at Indonesian airline's deadly past
https://news.sky.com/story/lion-air-...-past-11539154
Bingo. There was a recent thread here where a poster cited an incident where a crew didn't set the pressurization properly, and wondered how such a thing could happen. I took a look at the origin and destination airports, and looked up on Google to see where the heck these places were. Once I determined that, I needed no other contemplation. The same applies to the disappearing MH flight that consumed much of the media's attention a few years back. And the same also applies here.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Im wondering if it was damaged by staff at an airport and no one said a word. but still all assumption or now. A plane New or Old is still a mechanical object, so it can fail any day of the week. Im pretty sure whatever went wrong on the previous flight was not fixed.
If the displays were running amok on the previous flight, the aircraft should've been repaired at the gate if possible, or removed from service.

My guess is that the problem also affected the automation, and the airplane didn't do what it was suppose to when they engaged the autopilot. So they either set there trying to figure out the problem, or disengaged the AP and hand flew it into the ground due to lack of airmanship. The crew on the previous flight may have experienced the same issue, but that crew was able to successfully make it to the airport.

There's an unusual amount of accidents with airlines from that part of the world, related to lack of the crew's ability to transition from automation to hand flying, when an abnormality occurs.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
There have only been 219 B737max jets delivered so far

I'm not up to snuff on the MAX. I know it has different engines. What else has changed? Are the avionics different than the -800 and -900?

Old 11-01-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe I didn't word it better, but my impression is, South East Asia has perhaps been connected to more plane crashes than other parts of the world, whether it's the area or their airlines. Am I right or wrong?
There's retired airline pilots that take up second careers, as simulator and ground school instructors, with the companies that have contracts to do type specific training for many of the airlines in question. Their stories, while entertaining, are also scary.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
I am not sure I would equate it to a specific region, but less "developed" nations, with airlines do have a higher accident rate. I am not sure if it is still policy, but after the San Francisco accident, foreign carriers were required to fly the ILS to the runway no matter how good the weather, but the local air carriers were allowed to fly a visual approach. When I was flying, I use to hear it all the time.

If someone is lacking in skill or training (pilot or mechanic), any airplane model will crash if there is a serious, or even a minor problem if not dealt with properly. Of course to add some problems are just to great.
They are taught to be systems managers early on. There's no training pipeline like in the US, where pilots have a variety of hours and experience before being put in the cockpit of an airliner. Also, their cultural and upbringing, is adverse to Cockpit Resource Management.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:25 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Bingo. There was a recent thread here where a poster cited an incident where a crew didn't set the pressurization properly, and wondered how such a thing could happen. I took a look at the origin and destination airports, and looked up on Google to see where the heck these places were. Once I determined that, I needed no other contemplation. The same applies to the disappearing MH flight that consumed much of the media's attention a few years back. And the same also applies here.
That was on an A320 I believe. How do you set the pressurization on an Airbus? Please be detailed in your explanation.

For bonus points now may pressurization modes are there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation