Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 05:38 PM

23 posts, read 32,730 times

Advertisements

Hello. I was looking into pursuing a career as a pilot, and had an introductory lesson the other day. Um... I wouldn't say I had that WOW feeling you hear from people sometimes after that first lesson. I understand you need a lot of passion to do this, or it could lead to burn out. In fact after we took off I felt a bit disoriented lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 07:50 PM

12,846 posts, read 7,065,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel360 View Post
Hello. I was looking into pursuing a career as a pilot, and had an introductory lesson the other day. Um... I wouldn't say I had that WOW feeling you hear from people sometimes after that first lesson. I understand you need a lot of passion to do this, or it could lead to burn out. In fact after we took off I felt a bit disoriented lol.
Why do you want to have a career as a pilot? I have a real passion for it but when I took my first intro flight I have to admit I was little scared and disoriented. All I could think about was the engine will quit no place to land a 172 over a city. I still want to get my PPL I think the nervousness and disorientation goes away as you build hours get used to it like anything. Remember the first time you drove a car on the freeway? I went to a driving school instructor had us drive a few miles then he was like okay get on the freeway. I grew up in CA everyone went 85 mph with 1/2 car length between cars.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:40 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,139,069 times
Quote:
Try another demo flight........you will know more then where you're at.......

Old 12-24-2018, 06:03 AM

43,352 posts, read 44,062,834 times
I too think the OP should take another introductory flight before making any final decision.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:55 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,785,170 times
A commercial pilot is, when all is said and done, a heavy equipment operator. You should speak to a few people who are in the business in order to get a better feel for what you'd be looking at.

If you wish to get into the business, then you really ought to have a very strong desire to do so. Initial pay is quite low, as people in the field need to have lots of "hours" before they can be hired (and there are "hours" and there are "hours" -- Turbine being the most desirable).

Rich

Commercial Rotary-Wing, SE Land
Pvt Sea Plane

Old 12-25-2018, 05:09 AM

290 posts, read 247,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Initial pay is quite low, as people in the field need to have lots of "hours" before they can be hired (and there are "hours" and there are "hours" -- Turbine being the most desirable).

Rich

Commercial Rotary-Wing, SE Land
Pvt Sea Plane

These are important points for the OP to consider. I've got quite a few students driving big silver birds around the sky, and all of them had to spend years not only working their way to the hours necessary, but ensuring those were the "hours" that counted. Mainly turbine PIC (Pilot in Command).

It's a very lucrative field for those who keep their eye on the prize. My son is in his late twenties, in the Captain's seat, and is also a training captain, sim instructor, and line-check airman. He's making about 15K per month, most months. Some higher some lower.

pullin
Commercial, Instrument, Multi, CFI, CFII.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:23 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,979,703 times
there's a learning curve and natural aptitude factors which come into the skills of flying.

an "intro" flight barely scratches the surface of what you'll need to learn and become proficient at to pursue a pro career.

your concerns and fears stem from not knowing what flying is all about.

Your opportunity to overcome this is developed by education; ie, more hours and more study of the systems and the skills required. Perhaps taking another intro flight and/or starting to take flying lessons will be the solution for you.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:09 AM

17,028 posts, read 21,709,421 times
Quote:
Hey it wasn't for you, no big deal.

I don't care what the money is, it isn't a job I would be interested in at all. If I ever buy a jet I'd hire pilot/co pilot in a heartbeat and not have to be concerned with flying the plane. I don't want to be JFK Jr, John Denver or any of those MLB players that figured out flying wasn't their strongest skill.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:47 PM

63 posts, read 77,655 times
I once took an introductory flight around the year 2005 or so. It was in a Cessna 152. I went for a 30 minute introductory flight and loved it but the cost was a huge concern to continue flying. Fast forward about ten years later I started taking lessons. This time in a Cessna 172. I also loved it but as I became more of a pilot and became aware of how damn hard it is to become a pilot I started getting more nervous about doing things wrong while piloting the plane. It took me many hours to solo because of it. It was hard getting over the feeling.
Becoming a pilot is a difficult and the training and feeling behind it is tough. It's not for everyone. There are many things to adjust to while becoming a pilot.
One of these days I will obtain my Private pilot certificate. Many things took place where I did not finish it. My CFI was moving onto better/different things, money was becoming low. Once you have the Private pilot, where do you go from there if you do not have an airplane?????Especially if you do not want a career in aviation....Maybe once I can obtain a decent priced Cessna 172 I will finish it up.
Anybody near Grand Rapids Michigan that want to sell me their C172 for cheap???

Old 02-12-2019, 06:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,676,785 times
Quote:

dont jump to conclusions after just one flight. the first flight can produce feelings of joy, to what you felt. i personally would take a few more flight lessons, not just introductory flights, and see if you have an aptitude for flying beyond just being able to say you can fly a plane.

and passion has nothing to do with flying, in fact you want to eliminate that passion while flying so you dont have euphoric moments that can get you into trouble in the air.and dont get me wrong, passion for something can be a very good thing. for instance a passion for playing football or baseball is great. passion for racing is also great, but you have to temper that when you get behind the controls, and flying is the same way.

you may find that once past the disorientation that you have a real aptitude for flying, and that you would indeed make a good pilot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation