Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 06:35 AM

23 posts, read 32,730 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year! Right after you complete training, you don't qualify for a lot of flying jobs unfortunately. What are some jobs you can get with around 250 flight hours? I would imagine this period could be kind of stressful, especially if you're strapped financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 08:15 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,139,069 times
Pilots don't usually see jobs and low time in the same sentence........banner/glider towing takes some skills.......with pilot shortage CFI might be a bit easier to get into......just a guess

Old 12-31-2018, 03:30 PM

7,928 posts, read 12,632,750 times
Flying Jumpers?

Crop dusting? (need to pay for agricultural flying school https://www.agaviation.org/flightschoolinformation )

Sight seeing flights?

Co-pilot for old guys that lost their medical or would like a second pilot.

Ferry flight co-pilot? While your insurance rates would be too high to do solo you might be able to build hours.

You would probably learn a lot and build more hours as an FI though.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:14 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,139,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel360 View Post
Happy New Year! Right after you complete training, you don't qualify for a lot of flying jobs unfortunately. What are some jobs you can get with around 250 flight hours? I would imagine this period could be kind of stressful, especially if you're strapped financially.
https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comm...low_time_jobs/

Old 12-31-2018, 05:57 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,159,269 times
I had 1,000-1,500 hours logged before I got a commercial license, and I wasn't really looking for a job, just some part-time paid fun. I immediately went to work on a part-time basis for a small FBO as a single-engine charter pilot. (I was like a fill-in. If they needed an extra pilot, they'd call me, and if I had free time at the moment I'd accept the flight.) Sometimes I'd carry people, sometimes it was just freight -- usually parts for the oil drilling industry.

Another flight job I had was flight inspection of pipelines -- flying over buried gas and oil pipeline routes looking for leaks and/or erosion. There were two routes, 2 and 3 hour flights, iirc, and I flew both weekly. After I quit that job, a friend of mine retired from his corporate accounting job, got his commercial license and took the pipeline job. I think he had the minimum number of hours needed for his license. Pay was horribly low, but he was a little like I was, not doing it for income as much as just doing it because he preferred to be up in the air rather than playing golf. He did it for at least a decade, maybe two, before he just got too old for it. It's kind of a fun job, as you're flying low and slow with some twists and turns.

That also makes it a little dangerous. One of my instrument check pilots, a very good young pilot, killed himself flying pipeline -- banked too sharply while flying too slowly and entered an accelerated stall a few feet above the ground. That kind of flying isn't really necessary, mind you, but when you're puttering along by yourself in a Cessna 152 for hours on end, some of us tend to look for something to add a little fun to the flight. That "fun" stuff can get you into trouble. (I liked to dive-bomb herds of deer and antelope.)

The best job is probably as a CFI/CFII if you like teaching. If you don't like it, do yourself and the would-be students a favor and don't do it. Personally, I think an instructor should be required to have 1000 hours logged before he can start teaching. Flight instruction is too important to be done by someone who just wants to log the hours, imho.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 12-31-2018 at 06:14 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 AM

557 posts, read 600,110 times
Banner towing or aerial pictometry

Old 01-08-2019, 06:13 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,483,430 times
Hopefully the OP realizes that any paying flying job (with a few loopholes) needs a commercial license and >250 hours TT with at least 100 PIC. And most jobs would need an instrument and more than 250 hours, or at least their insurers will.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:18 AM

3,483 posts, read 8,968,791 times
Banner towing, flying jumpers, Aerial photography, sight seeing tours

Old 01-27-2019, 02:24 PM

131 posts, read 155,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
That "fun" stuff can get you into trouble. (I liked to dive-bomb herds of deer and antelope.)
If I saw you doing that, I would for sure make sure you got into trouble. Harassing wildlife is a real jerk thing to do.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:00 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,983,451 times
AG/Utility work, if you're willing to spend a year or two on a ground crew first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation