Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I suspect there's an industry-wide implicit agreement that you just don't do that kind of thing.
Do you really think so? So if Spirit Airlines, Allegiant Airlines, Frontier Airlines, or JetBlue take out an advertisement that says All Airbus Fleet that would violate an industry-wide agreement.

I think we all agree that it would not be in anyone's interest to mention a crash in an advertisement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 07:53 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
The Boeing 737 MAX has already blown over. The New Zealand mosque shootings have overtaken it in news coverage. I’m expecting that Brexit will also surpass the MAX this week.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:58 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
There's really no benefit to Delta touting their all-Airbus order, other than to make the Francophiles (OK, Europhiles) among us smile. And they risk ticking off the "If it ain't Boeing I ain't going" crowd. Besides, who's to say that some safety issue won't crop up with Airbus tomorrow?

Of course, there's nothing wrong with touting the fact that you're buying a bunch of new planes, because people tend to prefer newer planes to older ones, just like they tend to prefer newer cars to older ones. But I see no benefit, and possible downsides, to drawing any attention to Airbus vs. Boeing.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
But I see no benefit, and possible downsides, to drawing any attention to Airbus vs. Boeing.
You may be correct. But people get information from the internet without relying on advertising.

Southwest's whole fleet acquisition plan was to just acquire the MAX aircraft for the next decade. We may see slipping business at Southwest while Spirit Airlines, Allegiant Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and JetBlue become the preferred LCC choice for millions.

Sun Country is really very tiny airline with only 30 B737 Next Generation aircraft. They have not even ordered any MAX jets so they may simply be unaffected.

Alaska is scheduled to start receiving Max aircraft in three months. I guess we will see what happens.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:10 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Do you really think so? So if Spirit Airlines, Allegiant Airlines, Frontier Airlines, or JetBlue take out an advertisement that says All Airbus Fleet that would violate an industry-wide agreement.

I think we all agree that it would not be in anyone's interest to mention a crash in an advertisement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
There's really no benefit to Delta touting their all-Airbus order, other than to make the Francophiles (OK, Europhiles) among us smile. And they risk ticking off the "If it ain't Boeing I ain't going" crowd. Besides, who's to say that some safety issue won't crop up with Airbus tomorrow?

Of course, there's nothing wrong with touting the fact that you're buying a bunch of new planes, because people tend to prefer newer planes to older ones, just like they tend to prefer newer cars to older ones. But I see no benefit, and possible downsides, to drawing any attention to Airbus vs. Boeing.

I agree with Bus Man here.... and remember, the industry needs the population to believe that flying is safe
and accidents like the ones with the MAX are rare anomalies. If instead people were to start thinking
in terms of, "is aircraft A safe than aircraft B" or "is airline X safer than airline Y" the entire industry loses,
because they want people to take safety as a given. They'd rather compete with each other
on schedules, amenities and frequent-flier rewards.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:07 PM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:
YSouthwest's whole fleet acquisition plan was to just acquire the MAX aircraft for the next decade. We may see slipping business at Southwest while Spirit Airlines, Allegiant Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and JetBlue become the preferred LCC choice for millions.
Southwest only has 34 MAX 8s in the fleet currently which are replacing the older NGs. If they wanted to they could stop fleet renewal and still have a relatively modern fleet.

The cost of Southwest going to Airbus or other plane is going to be enormous.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:20 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
AFAIK Spirit Airlines, Allegiant Airlines, and Frontier Airlines are the only major USA airlines to have a fleet consists entirely of Airbus aircraft.
Doesn't Allegiant also have some of the worse maintenance records/issues?

Now that I think of it, maybe the only reason Allegiant's planes with their sloppy maintenance haven't crashed is because they use Airbus!

Allegiant Air Safety Issues Have Persisted for Years, Investigation Finds

Old 03-18-2019, 05:44 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
It would be almost like advertising after 9/11 that Delta was safer because their planes weren’t hijacked.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
It would be almost like advertising after 9/11 that Delta was safer because their planes weren’t hijacked.
That would be obvious idiocy. The first rule of advertising is you advertise against your competitors, you don't trash your industry.

It takes minimal research to learn that MAX aircraft have been delivered to 3 of 11 USA airlines (Southwest, American, and United). Alaska has them on order with the first scheduled to arrive in about 12-15 weeks before the accident. The other 7 airlines don't have any, nor do they have any on order (Delta, JetBlue, Hawaiian, Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, and Sun Country).

If the MAX starts flying again some people may avoid the 3-4 airlines that fly the MAX because they are afraid that a last minute equipment change could happen and they will find themselves on a MAX plane.

I think it would certainly be in bad taste to advertise that an airline is MAX free. I asked about "ALL AIRBUS".

I think that if United, American, and Alaska lose the option of buying more MAX jets, there will be a financial impact, but they will recover. In some sense, it may be better for them that this happened before they bought very many of them.

I don't know if Southwest can recover. I could imagine them on a mad scramble to buy all the used -800s that they can gather.

If a 3rd MAX crashes, then Boeing may not be able to recover. They have 621 unfilled Dreamliner orders and 344 unfilled 777X orders, but it will be difficult to remain viable while they develop the B797.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Doesn't Allegiant also have some of the worse maintenance records/issues?
Yeah. Which is a bummer for me because Allegiant runs a mini-hub from my local airport and we'd do a fair number of weekend getaways with them if they had a surly-but-safe approach like Spirit or Frontier does.

They are doing better since the Airbus switch though- if you're going to keep a fleet heavy in older MD-88s you have to take care of them at least as well as Delta does and they didn't. The newer Airbus aren't quite as fussy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation