Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 05:32 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Has more than once saved me from having to overnight in Atlanta by letting me grab one of the remaining seats to my onward destination that same day.
That would be much harder when one is traveling with the wife. I don’t fly except when she is with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If you arrive at the airport and your phone battery is at 15%, get a paper pass at the kiosk. If I'm checking bags (which is always outside the country) I just print the boarding pass at the kiosk at the same time I'm printing the bag tags.
I call this “seat of your pants” flying. This won’t work for someone for whom Murphy of Murphy’s law follows him around. I never check bags, I use carry on only. I never let my phone get down below 50%; I have a mobile external battery in my under the seat bag which is good for 3.4 full charges. These things happen to people who are accustomed to good luck. My son has phenomenal good luck. Everything always works out for him at the last minute.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:22 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I've never had a smartphone imaged boarding pass refused, so that's what I normally use. But I'm not entirely happy with this system, either. Sometimes the display times out or rotates just when I'm trying to pass it under the scanner. Ideally I would rather have an old school boarding pass because I think it's so much easier to hold out a piece of imprinted cardboard, but there again I'd have to stop at the kiosk.
I've been noticing that the American Airlines boarding pass remains on my phone once I've opened the app and my phone doesn't go dim at all after the 2 minutes of non use that I have it set for. Yesterday I used the app to get through security in DFW then put my phone in my purse. Half an hour later I got my phone out (I'm not one that is always on my phone) and the app was still displaying my boarding pass. I wonder if this is a setting on the AA app? I do prefer my phone to dim out so it uses less battery.

I'm android, not iPhone.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I've been noticing that the American Airlines boarding pass remains on my phone once I've opened the app and my phone doesn't go dim at all after the 2 minutes of non use that I have it set for. Yesterday I used the app to get through security in DFW then put my phone in my purse. Half an hour later I got my phone out (I'm not one that is always on my phone) and the app was still displaying my boarding pass. I wonder if this is a setting on the AA app? I do prefer my phone to dim out so it uses less battery.

I'm android, not iPhone.
I’m answering a question you didn’t ask, which is not an answer to your question. On the iPhone(that you don’t have), I have to manually delete the boarding pass from the Wallet.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,674 times
I've probably flown on 50+ legs the last couple of years, and the boarding pass on my phone was only denied once that I can remember, and this was only because they had a problem scanning it.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:19 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,844 times
Which Airlines in USA charge money for printing Boarding Pass at their Airport Kiosk ?

Is it possible that they might refuse to print Boarding Pass for the passenger ?

Old 03-30-2019, 06:21 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I’m answering a question you didn’t ask, which is not an answer to your question. On the iPhone(that you don’t have), I have to manually delete the boarding pass from the Wallet.
My phone doesn't have a wallet. I open the AA app within 24 hours of my flight and click on the Boarding Pass and it opens... once the flight is flown, it doesn't show up anymore.

I could take a screenshot of the boarding pass I suppose and save it to my gallery, then I would have it if the app malfunctioned. That might be similar to an iPhone wallet?

Old 04-03-2019, 07:46 AM

93 posts, read 63,226 times
I fly weekly and have been using my phone for every flight for the last two years. I've flown into about 100 different airports in two yrs and have never had anyone quaestion the boarding pass on my phone.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:08 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,854,815 times
Always print the boarding pass, Don't trust the iPhone.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:04 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
My daughter encouraged me to get the iPhone and use it as a boarding pass. But now she tells me that almost nowhere that she travels(and she travels a lot in and out of the USA, flies at least 15 times a year) will security allow her through on just a smart phone. My daughter always gets a kiosk printed paper boarding pass at the airport, and uses it for getting on the plane. Her iPhone pass is actually back up for paper.

But online it says you can use your phone at all TSA checkpoints.

Today she was flying into Miami from security in Boston and the security guy didn’t like her JetBlue kiosk printed boarding pass because he said it looked funny. The another guy told him they redesigned it.

My daughter has been pushing me to have a smart phone for all this, and now I discover that for boarding and security she uses PAPER EXCLUSIVELY. She doesn’t even try to use her smart phone.

Do you guys and gals agree with her?
Yes. I always use a paper boarding pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation