Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 02:39 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times

Advertisements

My daughter encouraged me to get the iPhone and use it as a boarding pass. But now she tells me that almost nowhere that she travels(and she travels a lot in and out of the USA, flies at least 15 times a year) will security allow her through on just a smart phone. My daughter always gets a kiosk printed paper boarding pass at the airport, and uses it for getting on the plane. Her iPhone pass is actually back up for paper.

But online it says you can use your phone at all TSA checkpoints.

Today she was flying into Miami from security in Boston and the security guy didn’t like her JetBlue kiosk printed boarding pass because he said it looked funny. The another guy told him they redesigned it.

My daughter has been pushing me to have a smart phone for all this, and now I discover that for boarding and security she uses PAPER EXCLUSIVELY. She doesn’t even try to use her smart phone.

Do you guys and gals agree with her?

Last edited by slyfox2; 03-24-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 06:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
150+ flights / yr... I have never seen a Smart Phone denied at TSA (unless dead...)

I use both, (Phone and paper)

Old 03-24-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
150+ flights / yr... I have never seen a Smart Phone denied at TSA (unless dead...)

So you always make sure that you have paper as a back up? Or do you use paper and keep the phone as a backup. its not because you have Elite status, right?

Old 03-24-2019, 08:43 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
I've been using electronic boarding passes exclusively for years and have never had it denied. Ever. With elite status or without. Normal line or precheck line. I have always gotten through security and have always been able to board using my phone. When I first started using it I would carry a paper backup. But I have never needed to use one.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:47 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
I travel weekly and use my phone. I do print the boarding pass at home to use as backup in case my phone can't display the online boarding pass for some reason, but that's never happened.

How is she getting her boarding pass on her phone? American has a couple of different ways to get it. You can check in on a computer and have that system email or text you the BP or use the airline app to check in and display the BP directly from the app.

What happens when she tries to use the BP on her phone?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post

How is she getting her boarding pass on her phone? American has a couple of different ways to get it. You can check in on a computer and have that system email or text you the BP or use the airline app to check in and display the BP directly from the app.

What happens when she tries to use the BP on her phone?
My daughter travels on lots of different airlines using Expedia, rather than just one. She lives near Logan in Boston and so being a major hub she can take anything. Me? I live in northern Maine. I fly out of Bangor, and there are only three airlines that come in there: Delta, United, and American. American always has the best price so I do them, and now with AA advantage, I don’t even bother with Expedia or Priceline since the AA Advantage gives me the best price, and then books the best price on Avis at the same time. And so with AA Advantage, I get the boarding pass as soon as the 24 hours is on, and put it in my wallet on my iPhone. AA sends me a message that its available for my upcoming flight whenever I lift up the phone. I usually print a back-up paper at home. I could use the kiosk I guess but have never done it yet. My next flight I might have to, if I can’t get my son to print one for me at his house.

But my daughter doesn’t fly just one airline, so she doesn’t have an airline app. And so she doesn’t get the BP sent to her automatically, and so she goes to a kiosk when she gets to the airport and prints a paper copy. Its all she has.

At least I think this is what she does. Sometimes her answers are very clear, and sometimes vague. I’ve learned not to try to press her on the vague ones. For example, she has no idea all the terrible things that can happen if she does not take the CDW insurance on the car rental. She often takes the upgrade to a car that is way more expensive than her little Subaru Impreza, no seeming to know that her insurance on her car will only pay up to the loss of an impreza, and only for repair. She drives an Escalade out of the rental thinking her car insurance for her little Impreza will cover replacement of a Cadillac. I tried to tell her but she wouldn’t listen.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:48 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
My daughter encouraged me to get the iPhone and use it as a boarding pass. But now she tells me that almost nowhere that she travels(and she travels a lot in and out of the USA, flies at least 15 times a year) will security allow her through on just a smart phone. My daughter always gets a kiosk printed paper boarding pass at the airport, and uses it for getting on the plane. Her iPhone pass is actually back up for paper.

But online it says you can use your phone at all TSA checkpoints.

Today she was flying into Miami from security in Boston and the security guy didn’t like her JetBlue kiosk printed boarding pass because he said it looked funny. The another guy told him they redesigned it.

My daughter has been pushing me to have a smart phone for all this, and now I discover that for boarding and security she uses PAPER EXCLUSIVELY. She doesn’t even try to use her smart phone.

This was my exact first time experience. Tried displaying my boarding pass to TSA using my iPhone in February at LAX. This was my first time trying this. Bad time to delve into the untested given the very long boarding line. Sure enough, I presented my iPhone to TSA. She tried scanning it twice, handed it back to me and instructed me to go back and get a paper boarding pass. Never again!

Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
This was my exact first time experience. Tried displaying my boarding pass to TSA using my iPhone in February at LAX. This was my first time trying this. Bad time to delve into the untested given the very long boarding line. Sure enough, I presented my iPhone to TSA. She tried scanning it twice, handed it back to me and instructed me to go back and get a paper boarding pass. Never again!

This past February 2019? What iPhone do you have? How bright did you have the phone set? I guess you didn’t have precheck?

Old 03-25-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

YOU NEED TO to turn the screen brightness up all the way on the phone before trying it. I keep my screen brightness at about 1/3 of max to conserve the battery and my eyes.

https://robpegoraro.com/2016/11/25/a...en-brightness/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ir_Travel.html

ALSO, if you have an iPhone, with the current system, and you have the boarding pass in wallet, then if you double click on the home button, it will bring up the pass right away.

Last edited by slyfox2; 03-25-2019 at 09:11 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 09:39 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post

Nope. In all of my travels on Alaska Airlines I've yet to see a smart phone boarding pass denied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation