Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 06:26 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This is false. Literally, jetBlue's best friend is American Airlines. They have an interline, a pretty seamless one, with AA.
Can we revisit the word seamless?

Recently a co worker went on AA.com and booked DIRECT flight to Boston. How cool. He first noticed problems when he couldn’t pick his seat, which was desired because his wife was flying with him. Even when calling, they routed his calls to JetBlue and they couldn’t assure him seats next to each other.

At airport, he had to pay luggage fees since JetBlue doesn’t honor AA statuses. Flight boarded like a cattle car, which was not extra cost. Flight there was delayed an hour so he felt at home flying under American umbrella.

Same on return trip, pay for checked luggage, fight for 2 seats next to each other. He didn’t get the flight miles. Never again he muttered as he paid his increased airport parking fees.

Side note - EVERY airport parking is raise their rates and has in last 18 months. Con workers travel from all over and everyone’s parking rates (per day, long term) has increased. Except Huntsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 01:29 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Some years back I got stuck in Houston TX and could not get back to Chicago do to a large snow storm in Chicago. Every morning I would call the airline and I was assured my flight (1pm or so) was on time. I also called my wife and she said O'Hare is still closed. This game went on for several days. Some of my friends actually went to the airport only to be told the flight was cancelled. Me, i slept late and ordered room service breakfast...LOL Finally O'Hare opened to full flight service and I got home.

Friend with United (corporate level) said all airlines do this as their schedule is a ripple effect and until they are 100% sure the flight could not get into O'Hare, they were not going to cancel it.

Old 09-05-2021, 01:07 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post

Recently a co worker went on AA.com and booked DIRECT flight to Boston. How cool. He first noticed problems when he couldn’t pick his seat, which was desired because his wife was flying with him. Even when calling, they routed his calls to JetBlue and they couldn’t assure him seats next to each other.

At airport, he had to pay luggage fees since JetBlue doesn’t honor AA statuses. Flight boarded like a cattle car, which was not extra cost. Flight there was delayed an hour so he felt at home flying under American umbrella.

Same on return trip, pay for checked luggage, fight for 2 seats next to each other. He didn’t get the flight miles. Never again he muttered as he paid his increased airport parking fees.

Side note - EVERY airport parking is raise their rates and has in last 18 months. Con workers travel from all over and everyone’s parking rates (per day, long term) has increased. Except Huntsville.
Did he pay extra for luggage and better seats when booking the ticket? All airlines today sell you the very basic ticket and then add additional charges for extras like "free" checked luggage and picking seats ahead of time. I just booked 2 tickets on AA and even though I have AA status, I paid an extra $100 a ticket to be able to choose seats together and get "no charge" luggage service. I do think this gives us a few extra inches of legroom on the plane.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Did he pay extra for luggage and better seats when booking the ticket? All airlines today sell you the very basic ticket and then add additional charges for extras like "free" checked luggage and picking seats ahead of time. I just booked 2 tickets on AA and even though I have AA status, I paid an extra $100 a ticket to be able to choose seats together and get "no charge" luggage service. I do think this gives us a few extra inches of legroom on the plane.
Fair questions. He’s at least gold status and purchases main cabin seating which affords seat selection. Luggage (at least domestically) is always free.

But no, he didn’t pay extra for seat selections but did have to discuss with the counter vs online. They explained to him that they were working on it and apologized. He did have to pay for luggage but gets it reimbursed thru company. They said they were working on improving but clearly the software isn’t working as advertised.

I recall when Northwest and Delta merged, those of us with Northwest clearly had to compete for benefits with the volume of Delta medallion members and what was a usual upgrade became no chance in #@$&.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:34 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Fair questions. He’s at least gold status and purchases main cabin seating which affords seat selection. Luggage (at least domestically) is always free.

But no, he didn’t pay extra for seat selections but did have to discuss with the counter vs online. They explained to him that they were working on it and apologized. He did have to pay for luggage but gets it reimbursed thru company. They said they were working on improving but clearly the software isn’t working as advertised.

I recall when Northwest and Delta merged, those of us with Northwest clearly had to compete for benefits with the volume of Delta medallion members and what was a usual upgrade became no chance in #@$&.
Yea, I would not have to pay the luggage charge since I have status on AA, but my sister would even if she's travelling with me. I booked our tickets in one reservation and wanted to use a flight credit tp pay for both tickets. I had to call AA to use the credit. The agent had to separate the tickets and put them in a queue to get manually rebooked, this took a few days to do. They do have awful computer systems, I'm not sure why this could not all be done online by me when I originally booked the tickets. A friend who used to work at AA told me that the systems were all built in the 1960's and are being held together by millions of lines of code and only the front ends get updated to make it look nicer for the internet user.

By the way, when Delta and Northwest merged, I was a Delta frequent flyer so I didn't mind the changes.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Yea, I would not have to pay the luggage charge since I have status on AA, but my sister would even if she's travelling with me. I booked our tickets in one reservation and wanted to use a flight credit tp pay for both tickets. I had to call AA to use the credit. The agent had to separate the tickets and put them in a queue to get manually rebooked, this took a few days to do. They do have awful computer systems, I'm not sure why this could not all be done online by me when I originally booked the tickets. A friend who used to work at AA told me that the systems were all built in the 1960's and are being held together by millions of lines of code and only the front ends get updated to make it look nicer for the internet user.

By the way, when Delta and Northwest merged, I was a Delta frequent flyer so I didn't mind the changes.
If you think this is bad, trying getting refunds on airline tickets booked with points. Takes months.

Booked a fall 2020 trip in spring 2020 for overseas flight. Mid summer it was clear that the flights were going to be canceled and called American to cancel. American said it has 12 steps before final approval for a canceled points reservation. How long did these 12 steps take? After thanksgiving and repeated calls, American finally returned airline points in early December. They complained about more cancellations so it went from a typical 3 months to 5 month “process”.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:55 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:

from a technical standpoint, its extremely seamless. AA just runs things differently than B6. You usually don't get your assigned seat on AA until you physically get to the airport or check in.

But now AA and B6 have a pretty synchronized system from paying customers to employees. I now get higher priorirty on jetblue as a AA dependent when I fly standby too

Old 09-09-2021, 08:57 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
from a technical standpoint, its extremely seamless. AA just runs things differently than B6. You usually don't get your assigned seat on AA until you physically get to the airport or check in.

But now AA and B6 have a pretty synchronized system from paying customers to employees. I now get higher priorirty on jetblue as a AA dependent when I fly standby too

I booked my wife PIT to BNA via DCA going and CLT coming, outbound trip was just completed and she sat in the seats she chose on the website, months ago.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:34 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I booked my wife PIT to BNA via DCA going and CLT coming, outbound trip was just completed and she sat in the seats she chose on the website, months ago.
Good to hear she chose a fare to pick seats ahead of time.

Im overheard too many 'But.. I dont want Middle!" *40 minutes before the fligth leaves*

Old 09-15-2021, 10:46 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I remember flying an Eastern Airlines flight from Orlando to DFW where the seat would not come back up from recline. That was in the '70s. Not impressed with Eastern at that time.
The only airline that hated the CEO so much (Lorenzo) that they intentionally screwed things up to drive it into bankruptcy.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation