Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:58 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times

Advertisements

Blimps and dirigibles are two different types of aircraft. A blimp is basically a bag of helium. A dirigible has a skin supported by a framework. It is more controllable. For some history of touring the world in an airship research the British dirigible, R101.
Wiki is your friend, there are many articles on flight. You should contact the Experimental Aviation Association to learn the requirements for building your own aircraft. (It does not matter if it is lighter than air, FAA rules still apply.)
Basically you start your design with a definition of what you want to carry in the way of cargo, people, and fuel and work from there. Your biggest challenges will be power and housing the aircraft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 08:15 PM

152 posts, read 303,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
This "guy" doesn't need any encouragement. He's already pulled off one of the greatest spoofs I've seen in a long time in "chat threads" such as this.

Just imagine what he's(?) been proposing: A hot air blimp or dirigible fueled by an "oven" fired with coal!!

What a great joke this thread has been. Congratulations to the OP for pulling this off with such a straight face and keeping the exchange going now for what must be heading for some sort of record!

Get off of this thread. NOW.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:48 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm The Supporter View Post
Get off of this thread. NOW.
Now you're making an "April Fool" of yourself!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:45 PM

152 posts, read 303,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Now you're making an "April Fool" of yourself!
That's not a bother. He who is not part of the solution is only part of the problem.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:41 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Frederick Marriot and His Avitor

Here's a retro design I saw yesterday at the Hiller Aviation Museum.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm The Supporter View Post
I thank you two for your encouragement. Right now I have gone over my plans and tried to figure up ways to cut the weight down and figure it all out. I know there are equations involved that even I don't understand. I really want to get the right fit to it. Like in October Sky. They went through the same bull**** I am. But they built their rockets and they made them bigger and better. I am a risk taker, that's one reason why I'm doing this. And I will not be flying gayly. I will be flying bisexually. (Sorry, I'm tired).
BTw, Supporter, remember that rockets have an EXTREMELY POSITIVE power to weight ratio, which LtA craft DO NOT! They're barely negatively buoyant, which is why they do not "rocket upwards" when released.

So, they do not traditionally have too much carrying capacity. Only small bottles of champagne allowed on board, and no more than a case or two!

Just happened by the thread, and thought I"d add my morning's 25¢ worth...

Get some sleep!

Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
BTw, Supporter, remember that rockets have an EXTREMELY POSITIVE power to weight ratio, which LtA craft DO NOT! They're barely negatively buoyant, which is why they do not "rocket upwards" when released.

So, they do not traditionally have too much carrying capacity. Only small bottles of champagne allowed on board, and no more than a case or two!

Just happened by the thread, and thought I"d add my morning's 25¢ worth...

Get some sleep!
IIR, the Hindenburg actually was NOT lighter than air. The hull developed lift that kept it aloft. I have been unable to document this memory item ;-|

Old 04-08-2010, 01:48 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
IIR, the Hindenburg actually was NOT lighter than air. The hull developed lift that kept it aloft. I have been unable to document this memory item ;-|
Interesting to say the least ....
In other words, no way to just hover in that contraption huh ??
You have to keep moving ...!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Interesting to say the least ....
In other words, no way to just hover in that contraption huh ??
You have to keep moving ...!!!
They flew in a wide circle and dropped people off in parachutes. The ones that landed in trees were less likely to be repeat passengers.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:14 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Respectfully, Crash, I don't think so. When filled with helium, it's original design goal, it would have been safe, but the US wouldn't sell any to the Nazis, so they filled it with hydrogen. "Vhat could pozzibly go wrong, neh"?

Well, it exploded precisely because it was loaded with hydrogen, which is much lighter than air but also very combustible! It may have developed some net aerodynamic lift when underway with the engines running full throttle, but in fact it was essentially LtA.

Some related reading:

Hindenburg Disaster

Lighter-Than-Air Craft History

Hindenburg - A Giant and Luxurious Airship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation