Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:03 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I am glad your experience is going well, I know many others that share ancedotal stories of living safely there too, great for all of you.

But you can't sugarcoat the stats. The city as a whole is one of most violent and dangerous in the entire country. Most of the "great neighborhoods" are just a leasurely stroll away from places that look like the 3rd world.

As I said, if you are smart, act in a safe manner, and are able to afford to live in a "safe zone" you can live a normal life, but the facts are the facts, and Baltimore is one most crime-ridden and violent cities in the country. It does no one any good to try and rationalize this away because it hasn't effected you personally.
You should go to Canton or Federal hill or Roland Park or Hampden sometime, see if you feet still work after walking from either to a "Third World" neighborhood.

Baltimore has some really bad areas, name me a City that doesn't. These crime stats get a little skewed because the The City limits are very small, and bring down the averages and percentages. Baltimore City has 650k, draw the City Lines out 5 miles to each direction, the City probably doubles in size and all of these "RATES" go way down.

Here is a good list that shows you the size of many cities, if our lines where two to three times wider like many of these cities, than the rankings for many of these things come way down. And the areas stay just as dense as most of these cities. Baltimore has the 21st greatest population but the 81st largest City.

http://www.census.gov/statab/ccdb/cit1010r.txt

I've been living here for over 10 years, never had anything happen to me, never had anything happen to my friends other than a couple car broken windows. Baltimore has bad parts but also has great neighborhoods that are much safer than many places thought to be harmless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 03:35 PM

7,018 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
You should go to Canton or Federal hill or Roland Park or Hampden sometime, see if you feet still work after walking from either to a "Third World" neighborhood.

Baltimore has some really bad areas, name me a City that doesn't. These crime stats get a little skewed because the The City limits are very small, and bring down the averages and percentages. Baltimore City has 650k, draw the City Lines out 5 miles to each direction, the City probably doubles in size and all of these "RATES" go way down.

Here is a good list that shows you the size of many cities, if our lines where two to three times wider like many of these cities, than the rankings for many of these things come way down. And the areas stay just as dense as most of these cities. Baltimore has the 21st greatest population but the 81st largest City.

http://www.census.gov/statab/ccdb/cit1010r.txt

I've been living here for over 10 years, never had anything happen to me, never had anything happen to my friends other than a couple car broken windows. Baltimore has bad parts but also has great neighborhoods that are much safer than many places thought to be harmless.
Oh, come on. I live in Western Maryland. I regularly hike 4 or 5 miles over hilly terrain like a billy goat, strolling 2 or 3 miles through the flat city to get from Canton to North Ave. wouldn't even be a warm up.

You point about the suburbs being nice are largely correct. I lived in Towson, and found it very upscale, but the suburbs aren't the city, either based on lines drawn on an map or in the land use, archticture, or history. We have to deal with the world of the Baltimore City as it currently exists which doesn't rate well when compared to other cities, and that includes other places with a sharp demarcation in official city/suburb political boundaries.

I am not sure why some other poster pulled up a post from months ago that I believe was between me and you. I agree with you now, like I did then. There are nice places in the city to live, and a set of rules to live by to keep you safe, but the city as a whole has problems as a whole that are larger in scale than nearly everywhere else in the country.

Last edited by westsideboy; 09-26-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 05:22 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Oh, come on. I live in Western Maryland. I regularly hike 4 or 5 miles over hilly terrain like a billy goat, strolling 2 or 3 miles through the flat city to get from Canton to North Ave. wouldn't even be a warm up.

You point about the suburbs being nice are largely correct. I lived in Towson, and found it very upscale, but the suburbs aren't the city, either based on lines drawn on an map or in the land use, archticture, or history. We have to deal with the world of the Baltimore City as it currently exists which doesn't rate well when compared to other cities, and that includes other places with a sharp demarcation in official city/suburb political boundaries.

I am not sure why some other poster pulled up a post from months ago that I believe was between me and you. I agree with you now, like I did then. There are nice places in the city to live, and a set of rules to live by to keep you safe, but the city as a whole has problems as a whole that are larger in scale than nearly everywhere else in the country.
"Nearly everywhere else in the country"?
You're being a bit of a drama queen here with this statement. Granted, Baltimore has many issues but it is certainly not alone in trying to tackle them. ALL cities have poverty. All cities are competing for suburban dollars, etc. And, not just larger cities. The city of Cumberland is coping with many issues. Let's try to be a bit realistic as we make statements about places.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 PM

JJ, check my recent posting history, I pull the wool over no ones eyes on Cumberland's recent and disturbing upswing in crime. I am the first to say we are now dealing with problems that cities, like Baltimore, have had for many years and I am extremely upset by it.

Drama Queen? Baltimore is normally rated as one of the Top Ten WORST cities in the country for crime, especially violent crime. There are at least 1,000 cities/towns in the US, this puts Baltimore in the lowest percentile grouping for violent crime. The stats say that Baltimore has a crime problem that is worse than 99% of the rest of the cities in America, not me. Here is a recent list: Any google search can bring you dozens of others.

Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities In The USA | News One

Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
I know it's none of my business, so forgive me for sticking my nose in this fight. It just seems like you guys are not holding opposing stances, you know? Both can be true at the same time. Baltimore can be 1. A city with one of the highest rates of violent crime AND 2. A city where most of the violent crime happens in areas with a heavy drug trade, not affecting the people who don't live at or near those areas much. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me anyway.

It seems like a very dangerous city if you participate in drug business and/or can't afford to live in an area where the trade is not prevalent. But if that's not you, then it's no more dangerous than any major city. I think anyway. **shrugs**

I now prepare to get flamed. LOL

Last edited by Tinawina; 09-26-2011 at 07:04 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 PM

No flame necessary, that is exactly what I have been saying. Pick a good neighborhood, be smart and safe, and statistically the odds swing over to your side.

This reality doesn't change the fact that the city as a whole has serious problems with crime and ranks among the most violent cities in the country.

It is both at the same time.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:19 PM

72 posts, read 150,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandre View Post
Move out then not like anybody want you here anyway
Most things would vastly improve if people like you moved out of MD altogether.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:49 AM

528 posts, read 867,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Baltimore is friendly compared to the other BosWash cities, but rude compared to basically anywhere else.
Sounds like the Sacramento or San Jose of the east.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:34 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Sounds like the Sacramento or San Jose of the east.
Dusty post from three years ago....

Old 07-10-2014, 03:12 AM

268 posts, read 344,746 times
poverty breeds crime, baltimore has crime because of the blue collar work leaving and it is one of the most racist job markets in the usa.if you are a black college grad ,you can forget about working downtown for a private industry. i grew up there and after the last time i worked their i vowed i would never work there again, a lot of racist white folks there helping create the crap crime conditions there.if you black and not working for the government you going to catch hell there if you blue collar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore