Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:15 PM

81 posts, read 238,552 times

Advertisements

Not too familiar with Baltimore, however I will probably be staying there for school. How is the area between those two schools? Is it a vibrant area with lots to do, or is it a crime ridden area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
I wouldn't describe either area as "vibrant" although, close to the Loyola campus on Cold Spring Lane you do have decent restaurants, bars and some shopping within walking distance to the campus. The neighborhoods surrounding Loyola are higher income, more stable in general than the areas surrounding Morgan. Although not crime riddled, the Perring Parkway/Hillen Road area around Morgan does have more crime and very little in terms of shopping, night life, etc. for a college student. If it were me and I was attending Loyola, I would look for housing close to the campus. If I were attending Morgan, I would probably opt to live closer to downtown or a more established neighborhood and commute. The area around Belvedere Square (York Road and Belevedere) has some nice spots for dining, shopping, socializing and is not too far from Morgan. Always best to try to visit the area for a week or more and get a feel for the areas before making a decision. Best of luck.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,523 times
Decent Area.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 PM

201 posts, read 590,024 times
There are more fun areas to live with in a short driving commute.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:21 PM

9 posts, read 25,128 times
There is the a nice neighborhood called Original Northwood in between the areas of Guilford and Roland Park which seems to be a nice area.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:54 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,643 times
I like the are a around loyola then morgan

Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 PM

165 posts, read 533,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
Not too familiar with Baltimore, however I will probably be staying there for school. How is the area between those two schools? Is it a vibrant area with lots to do, or is it a crime ridden area?
It's hit or miss between the two schools, with some nice neighborhoods, some not so safe. I would lean towards living closer to the Loyola campus vs. Morgan State. If you have a car, consider another neighborhood that is more walkable for restaurants, nightlife, etc...such as Mt. Vernon, Hampden or even Charles Village to be within 10 to 15 minutes (give or take a few minutes) drive to each campus.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:53 PM

165 posts, read 533,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledroitpark View Post
There is the a nice neighborhood called Original Northwood in between the areas of Guilford and Roland Park which seems to be a nice area.
I live in ON, I wouldn't really recommend it for a college student. Although it's close to both campuses, it's mainly homeowners in single family dwellings and row homes. The closest and only walkable retail is Northwood Plaza, which I wouldn't step a pinky toe in. I know a lot of Morgan State students frequent it, but there have been some incidences there.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,701 times
I would stay east of Morgan in Lauraville or Hamilton. If you stay west of Morgan, Original Northwood is the only place I would live until you get to York Rd. I would avoid Hillen, Perring Loch, New Northwood, Pen Lucy, Wilson Park, Kenilworth Park, and Ednor. Those are rough areas.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 PM

107 posts, read 584,678 times
Hey...that was my neck of the woods...I grew up right in the areas you're describing...particularly around Morgan....well here's the skinny...the area is okay....it was great when I was in high school...just be careful as with any area in baltimore...but as the other posters have said...there are better areas to stay in around Loyola...but it depends on which school you will be attending...actually the areas around Hillen road aren't too bad...check with your school to see where most of the students reside...that should help you a lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore