Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 12:03 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,065 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm a single 25 year old male. I currently live in St. Louis, MO and looking to move back to the east coast near my family again. My immediate family lives in Charlotte, NC but I also have some family that lives in Sykesville, MD. I've always wanted to move to the D.C./Baltimore region. I want to experience something new and exciting. I currently have about 3.5 years experience in my field (software engineering). I got a job interview for a smaller company (the corporate office is in Fairfax, VA but my job would be in Fulton, MD). Is Fulton a safe area? How is it? I live near downtown St. Louis currently and I know what it's like to deal with inner-city crime. I've gotten used to it but I would still like to be somewhere that is relatively safe. How does crime in Baltimore compare with St. Louis? I know how bad some St. Louis areas are. I always accept some risk with crime as long as I am living in an exciting place.

I'm not much of a bar person (although I enjoy a drink or two), but I really enjoy museums, anything artsy, biking, and just checking out other interesting gems in the city. I'm liberal for the most part (although I have my more moderate views as well) and looking to start grad school as soon as I get situated with a new job/city. I currently have a month-to-month lease agreement with my landlord and can easily start a new job somewhere else if needed. I could live with my family in MD until I get more situated. Would the Baltimore area be a good fit for me? I've been reading some posts about crime in here and it's sort of discouraging. Then again, like I said, I've dealt with some of that here in St. Louis as well so I don't know much different it would really be for me.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 04:25 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
The St Louis crime rate is a bit higher than Baltimore but not by much. Fulton is an unincorporated town in Howard County so you could choose to live in DC or Baltimore. It's about the same distance from both. Having a car will be a must because public transit to that area would be sketchy. I've been to St Louis. If you live in the city there, Baltimore will be fine. But, I would choose to live with family and investigate Baltimore on your free time in order to make the best decision.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,058 times
For better or worse, I don't think you'll find the city of Baltimore too different than the city of St. Louis crime wise.

Personally, I wouldn't move here by choice. If you get stuck here because of a job its dealable, but I don't understand why someone would seek out to live here by choice.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:53 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,529 times
Fulton is in Howard County and some distance from Baltimore and the difference between the two couldn't be greater.

You will probably enjoy living in the Mount Vernon district of Baltimore. Sounds ideal for you. But DC may offer a more attractive social life and better artsy amenities although Baltimore is not without its charms.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:14 AM

152 posts, read 487,396 times
Baltimore over DC. If you don't like bars, you should not live in DC. That is the main source of entertainment for people aged 21-35 there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: