U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,029 times
Default Perry Hall, MD - Need info on schools and crime rates - please help!!

I am considering buying a home in Perry Hall, MD and desperately need information about this town! My family and I recently moved to Harford County to work at APG, and we know nothing about the area. We have two children and are very concerned with the school district and the crime rates, and we are looking to live in a suburban setting. New home prices seem reasonable in this area, but does this mean we will we sacrifice school quality and safety? Please help...any information is greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 06:27 PM

325 posts, read 933,851 times
We are looking for the same thing. I hope someone will respond who lives in the area. So far, the schools seem very good!
Best of luck in your move.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 PM

87 posts, read 214,886 times
If you are looking for good and safe schools, Harford County has them! In fact, people move here for that reason.
Just out of curiosity why would you consider moving to Perry Hall if work is at APG? You can get better deals much closer.
Some people who work in Baltimore move further out to Harford County, many even commute to DC. We moved FROM Perry Hall and further from work to a better life in Harford County many years ago. You get more house for the money and we did not like the schools down there. Had our kids in private school in Perry Hall but always in public schools in Harford County.
Generally speaking, if you live in Harford or Cecil County you will have a better/shorter commute to APG, more house for the money and a (in my opinion) MUCH prettier place to live. (The only school I wouldn't send my kids to in HC is Edgewood High. That's it)

I had moved many times before we settled here in HC but PH was the place I wanted out of the most of any place I have ever lived and we were only there for one year after hubby was transferred. Again, this is my personal experience and I am sure there are nice people there, I just never felt home or safe. I leave my backdoor and car windows open at night to get fresh air. In PH we had the police chase someone across our backyard one night and search helicopters twice a month.

You might be ok though in a new community further out from the main road. Just take that drive to and from APG during rush hour and even in between. Judge how you feel about it.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 PM

52 posts, read 97,958 times
most Realtor websites have links to the school system stats and crime stats also, which the county website also has. There are some easy to use links where you just put in the zip code and address to search crime stats and school stats, too

Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 AM

16 posts, read 20,729 times
Just wanted to bump this post up again. I am looking myself in the Perry Hall area. I currently live in Harford County as well but work in Baltimore City. I'm curious DDJJ where you live? I live in Joppa right now. I love Joppa but there isn't much for sale around here, especially in my price range. And the surrounding areas like Edgewood are just getting worse and worse. Everytime I turn around theres something on the news about Edgewood and the schools are declining so I'm looking for something not much north of here but don't know much about eastern Baltimore county. Just curious if anyone has any more info.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,180,239 times
We are a bit west in parkville. It's pretty nice and fairly quiet. Anything
In particular you're looking for?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 AM

16 posts, read 20,729 times
I am looking for townhouses in the $150k range. I'm working with a realtor and getting daily updates so isee there are townhouses in my range. I have looked in parkville too but have heard the schools are iffy. I'm not looking for elite schools and we are more comfortable around blue collar, just more concerned with crime. Edgewood seems to be picking up in gang activity.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 AM

1,218 posts, read 639,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDJJ View Post
If you are looking for good and safe schools, Harford County has them! In fact, people move here for that reason.
Just out of curiosity why would you consider moving to Perry Hall if work is at APG? You can get better deals much closer.
Some people who work in Baltimore move further out to Harford County, many even commute to DC. We moved FROM Perry Hall and further from work to a better life in Harford County many years ago. You get more house for the money and we did not like the schools down there. Had our kids in private school in Perry Hall but always in public schools in Harford County.
Generally speaking, if you live in Harford or Cecil County you will have a better/shorter commute to APG, more house for the money and a (in my opinion) MUCH prettier place to live. (The only school I wouldn't send my kids to in HC is Edgewood High. That's it)

I had moved many times before we settled here in HC but PH was the place I wanted out of the most of any place I have ever lived and we were only there for one year after hubby was transferred. Again, this is my personal experience and I am sure there are nice people there, I just never felt home or safe. I leave my backdoor and car windows open at night to get fresh air. In PH we had the police chase someone across our backyard one night and search helicopters twice a month.

You might be ok though in a new community further out from the main road. Just take that drive to and from APG during rush hour and even in between. Judge how you feel about it.
I absolutely agree with your assessment of Harford County. The only reason we're not still in Aberdeen is because I was promoted in 2002 and had to transfer up here to Alaska.

I returned to Aberdeen for a long visit 6 months ago and I was pleased to find that other than a little more growth the area has not changed at all. The same things that made Harford County such a slice of heaven in 2002 are still in place today, mainly the people. The warm and friendly people are as well as the beautiful landscape are what make Harford County special and why not matter how long we are away, Harford County will always be home.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:42 AM

533 posts, read 935,109 times
While folks may have anecdotal experiences to support a positive experience in Harford county schools, the fact is, across the board, Baltimore County schools are far superior to Harford county. This is a large reason why property values are not holding up as well as in most parts of Baltimore county, where prices are steady and even climbing.

For those that doubt - look at zip codes which split Harford and Baltimore - 21111, 21013. A home on the Harford side of those zip codes, will be about 2x as nice and 100-200k less than the same home a few blocks away in Baltimore. Schools are the primary reason.

In general, Harford schools < Baltimore County schools < Howard County Schools < Montgomery County schools.

This isn't to say all the schools in Baltimore County are great, but the best schools in Baltimore county are far better than the best schools in Harford County, and the worst schools in Baltimore county are not as bad as the worst schools in Harford County.

Harford schools are trending worse - their board of education is a mess, their teachers are underqualified and underpaid, meaning the good ones are taking jobs in surrounding counties, their funding for schools is sub-par compared to other counties, their curriculum deviates from proven methodologies and standards, and their principals and leaders are not sufficiently experienced for the roles they occupy.

Unfortunately for poca, finding a good home zoned for the better schools in a safe area in baltimore county for 150k is going to be difficult. Perry Hall/Nottingham is probably your best bet. It's a safe area, and the schools are good. Better than most of Harford, but not on par with schools in Timonium, Towson, Reisterstown, Hereford, and Phoenix.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM

6 posts, read 21,648 times
Default Perry Hall Advice

I moved to Nottingham (21236, basically PH) 10yrs ago. We loved it. The schools have a good reputation, but there are teens bused in from poor neighborhoods to take advantage of the education that our medium-high taxes get them, and they are in gangs. They go back to their hoods by school bus each school day, though. It's upper middle class and white collar. Parks everywhere. Beautiful trees and land. Very manicured area. Close to shopping and 95. Great sense of community and achievement. I jog at night, doors unlocked. A lot of houses are getting paid off and thus being turned into rentals, however. The townhouses off of Seven Courts in actual Perry Hall are becoming rented to Section 8. Luckily Nottingham is the better half of the area, and kids can walk to schools. The traffic sucks, and it sucks that they have so many townhouses and apartments which attract undesirables. My kids are in college now, so I'm moving to Abingdon in Hartford County. It means a longer commute but cheaper living and more land. I don't care about the schools in HarCo since my kids are older, but they do suck. I work for Balt. County Public Schools, and I get paid 10k more than the same job in Hartford County Public Schools. Fewer funds = crappier schools. Each county has its pockets, though. We've had a great life in Nottingham, but it's time to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore