U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 830 times

Advertisements

My Girlfriend and I have been casually looking for homes. We've spotted one in the Garwyn Oaks neighborhood and think we could get a really good deal (the circumstances are totally in our favor). Anyhow, we'd heard bad things about the area and decided to go check it out for ourselves. We drove to the neighborhood and drove around for a little bit to see all that could be seen. What we found was a neighborhood that had wide streets and a mixed bag of homes. A lot of them were being renovated (a good sign in my opinion).

However, the drive to get there was kinda sketchy. It didn't seem like a place I'd want to be walking around in. Bordering the neighborhood are empty apartment buildings (section 8 once upon a time?)

We got out and looked around the outside of the house and finally when we got to the front the neighbors across the street called over to us to see if we were interested in buying the house and if we wanted to come talk to them about it on their porch. So we spoke to them for a while. We learned that they were one of the only white households in the neighborhood, and if we moved in that would make white household number two. This doesn't really bother me because I don't think that if someone is black they are automatically bad people (any race can be trashy). They sang their praises about the neighborhood saying that everyone knows them on a first name basis and is friendly and said the worst problem they encounter every now and then is a prostitute wandering too far down the road and that they are quickly shooed from the neighborhood. I don't even know my neighbors and neither does my girlfriend know hers, and we are living in Owings Mills/Reisterstown. I didn't get a bad feeling about the area when I was there and I really like the house, but the surrounding neighborhoods do concern me.

I can't tell if it is progressively getting better, or if it's going to fall prey to the bad areas around it. My family in particularly is doing all that they can to try and convince me that it is a bad purchase to make. They've all pretty much said that the area is bad and that it WONT be getting better, and that if I find out that I don't really like it after all that I probably wont be able to sell the house. I'm really torn about it. I'm concerned, but at the same time my experience being in the neighborhood kind of quells it. I also know that a neighborhood can take a turn for the worse or a turn for the best, and certain areas are more likely go to for the worst. I'm not too concerned with not being able to turn a profit from selling the house, as long as I get what I paid for it when I decide to move I wouldn't care because I would have saved money over renting. I AM scared that if we decide the neighborhood isn't for us and we can't sell it that we'd be stuck in an unsafe situation though. Such risks, ugh.

What does anyone else have to say about it? Install a security system and the tallest fence we can and call it a day, or don't even consider living there? I don't think we'd be planning on walking around the neighborhood, just living there. We don't plan on having children or anything of the sort, but we will have two room mates living with us (who are aware of the situation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 12:37 PM

805 posts, read 1,238,411 times
It sounds like the neighbor is nice to call you over and talk to you about the neighborhood. I'm sure they are trying to sweeten up the neighborhood a little but I don't think that's a bad thing. Having neighbors involved in the neighborhood is great.

I don't know much about that neighborhood so I can't help with you on any info about it.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:26 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,298,825 times
Default Yes

I have written about this area in various posts on various threads in the past. All the indicators are up. Police are cleaning up Garrison of drugs and good-time girls; a church is building a senior apartment complex across from the Forest Park library and a ratty apartment complex closer to Garwyn Oaks is about to demolished.
Also, close to Garwyn Oaks a bunch of new homes have been built. I presume they sold.
Best of all, Garwyn Oaks has a dedicated group of homeowners.
Go Northwest Housing Resource Center

Old 09-20-2010, 08:50 AM

3,447 posts, read 4,491,360 times
I like this area as well.. My only concern is the fact that many of these large homes.. .as they are vacated by older residents may become boarding homes or "halfway houses". Again, nothing against the folks who live in or operate these types of facilities as long as they are properly managed and/or monitored by the neighborhood association.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,268 times
I am also now looking at a home in this area. It is a gorgeous 5BR home. At the price we could afford to fix it up and make it just stunning. I am also nervous about the area. I see that this thread is rather old. Does anyone else have any recent comments on the area?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,268 times
Oh just a note, we DO have children, not of school age

Old 01-11-2011, 04:56 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,298,825 times
Default Progress continues

As far as I can see, progress continues. Prostitution has nearly disappeared from Garrison. The senior apartment complex across from the library is almost finished; the ratty apartment complex down the street is boarded up and waiting for demolition. Nothing really has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore