U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 PM

45 posts, read 129,690 times

Advertisements

Down at the end of North Point, in Baltimore County's Fort Howard Park, where the shorelines of the Patapsco River and Chesapeake Bay meld together, where the night winds blow cool, moist air up through the heavily wooded parkland, and you can see straight down the Bay to the Bay Bridge or look right and take a good look at the Key Bridge, there is an all volunteer created and presented piece of performance art executed on Friday and Saturday evenings during October. The art piece is named the Fort Howard Haunted Dungeons. It is a great piece of performance art. And is run by the Edgemere-Sparrows Point Recreation Council ESP.

Here's a link to recent photos I took at the Fort Howard Haunted Dungeons. I was deeply inspired by what I experienced there, and went all out to make a fair, photographic representation of what everyone experiences there. But it lacks the wild and crazy sounds of the experience, the oft shocking dialogue of the performers and the punch lines of the skits.

After you click on the link below, to the slide show, put that puppy on full screen mode and away you go!!!

Fort Howard Haunted Dungeons (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ursusdave/sets/72157625070703149/show/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 03:28 PM

45 posts, read 129,690 times
Some people wonder if there are real spirits/souls/ghosts wandering around where the Fort Howard Haunted Dungeons are. Here is a copy of my comment to this trail of thought being pursued over on the Haunted Dungeons Facebook page:

There are spirits/souls/ghosts of former VA Hospital patients - plus some others from other times - who stay where the Fort Howard Haunted Dungeons are. Some of those real spirits are of military veterans who died in the old veterans hospital, next to Ft. Howard Park - where the Dungeons are. Or maybe the veteran died right there down in a 'dungeon', when the vet was hiding from the terrifying screams of their war-wounded brothers-in-arms suffering painful death over in the hospital and enduring endless nightmares.

That long fence along the park's western boundary was erected to keep VA patients on hospital grounds. The fence has been there since long before it was a park, definitely since before 1972, when I first saw it. VA hospital patients used to go over into the park area, which is an abandoned army coastal artillery installation, to get away from the horrors of wartime wounds and other sights, sounds and the stench of hospital life. Some VA patients had to get outdoors for awhile and be alone over in the overgrown woods and vines that once encased the entire set of huge, cement gun emplacements that the 'dungeons' are underneath of. I went there in 1972, to see the mock Vietnam Village, where Green Berets trained for secret missions, and the place has been cleared of a lot of greenery since it was made a park. If you think the trees, vines and sticker bushes there are thick now, you should'a seen it in '72 - a few years before it became a park.

Ft. Howard VA Hospital was built for World War Two wounded, in the early 1940s, and was closed in 2002. In the late 1980s, I was a patient there and went around the end of the fence into the park twice. And the patients then weren't mostly horrifically wounded warriors, but I still liked getting away from the hospital scene - to enjoy an hour or so in the park.

None of Ft. Howard's spirits/souls/ghost will harm you, most enjoy your company, and all the goings on, and a few may even help you deal with a personal problem - you may happen to be thinking through, while you're in the park. There are a few rotten, evil spirits there who would like to mess with your mind, but the good spirits of Ft. Howard possess the most power there, and they keep the bad ones in check. The spirits/souls/ghosts in the park stay there because it is still the beautiful, waterfront place it always has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore