Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,498 times

Advertisements

I'm a 40-year-old single woman who recently relocated to the area from Northern Virginia to start a new job in Hunt Valley. I'm currently in the middle of a three month lease at an apartment in Towson, but would like to purchase a home. Most of the townhouses in my price range (mid 200s to 300s) in Hunt Valley and Lutherville Timonium seem to be older and lack a garage. I'm also concerned about long-term property values in these areas because it looks a bit seedy in some spots. How long will it be until the nicer pockets become run down?

I've found some new condos with garages in the Pikesville area and in Ellicott City, but the HOA fees are high ($375 to $450 per month) and I've heard the commute to Hunt Valley could be a problem.

This is my first home purchase so I don't want to make a major mistake. Is it better to go with brand new construction in a condo building further from work and incur high condo fees, or an older townhouse closer to work in an area that could see property values fall long-term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
This is just my opinion, having lived in the area for many years - I don't think that Hunt Valley is going to experience significant depreciation in the next several years. Timonium and Lutherville do have their share of dated housing stock and areas that have depreciated quite a bit but Hunt Valley seems to be holding its own. Pikesville has some very nice areas around the quarry and greenspring ave that would still put you in close proximity to Hunt Valley. Ellicott City is a nice area but you would be dealing with a signficant commute during rush hour with few options in terms of alternate routes. As far as condo. vs townhome, that really comes down to lifestyle. Do you want to do your own maintenance, e.g., cutting the grass, cleaning the gutters, painting exterior trim etc. or, do you want a more low maintenance lifestyle? Either way, I would review the HOA restrictions, fees, and determine how they deal with those who don't pay their fees before signing. Some older townhomes are well built and the communities well maintained, others-not so much. If you are buying a used property, pay for a good home inspection before signing a contract. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 66,389 times
Hi Madaero - The above poster was spot on with advice! I echo what they said about Hunt Valley remaining value. It is an upscale and desirable area (much more so than the surrounding Cockeysville areas around Warren). I would highly recommend the High View community as the prices are very reasonable right now. You could get a nice townhouse or condo there for under $300K. The condo fees are well worth it as they cover a huge pool, fitness center, movie theater, concierge, lounge, tennis courts, etc. I have several friends who live there and absolutly love it. If you are not ready for a purchase, some people lease out their condos. These places are fairly new and well maintained. Take a drive around the neighborhood, it is VERY NICE.

As another option, I highly recommend Pikesville. The neighborhoods in and around Quarry Lakes are very nice and full of young single people as well as families. This is a convenient place located very near 695 (major highway). There are a lot of brand new condos in the Quarry Lakes neighborhood. This is another neighborhood where your condo fees give you a lot of bang for your buck (pool, tennis courts, club house, gym, etc). The neighborhood is gorgeous and soon to be gated. There are stores and restaurants in walking distance. Highly recommend...

Good luck with your move!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:18 AM

21 posts, read 53,685 times
Hi,

Both me and my wife work. My wife works in Towson and I'm going to start work in Washington DC from next month.
We want to take house which is commutable to both me and my wife. Can soemone suggest me nice place and any Condos or Townhomes please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore