Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore a northern city?
yes 52 45.61%
no 62 54.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:22 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
Oh and there is nothing country or southern about Baltimore accents, trust me I know what I'm talking about!
Hey Tex, Texas does not own the rights to "country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,572,273 times
As a native northeasterner (Connecticut), and somebody who has been up and down the east coast many times (moving back and forth between Florida and Connecticut) I see Baltimore as neither northern or southern. I consider it as Mid-Atlantic. The same goes for Washington DC. I consider the Mid-Atlantic to be Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware

The northeast IMO starts in Pennsylvania and includes NY, NJ, CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, and ME

Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
As a native northeasterner (Connecticut), and somebody who has been up and down the east coast many times (moving back and forth between Florida and Connecticut) I see Baltimore as neither northern or southern. I consider it as Mid-Atlantic. The same goes for Washington DC. I consider the Mid-Atlantic to be Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware

The northeast IMO starts in Pennsylvania and includes NY, NJ, CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, and ME
Interesting, but how do you explain Philadelphia? Many people see it as having a near identical culture as Baltimore, and metro of Philadelphia does dip into Maryland. Though do you really believe that northern culture begins at a straight line between MD and PA?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Baltimore's dialect is best described as "Midland", like most of PA, and on into the interior of the country. It is fairly close to the border between Midland and Southern speech, so some transitional features exist.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,101 times
Even though no one would call the people of Baltimore "Yankees", the city is thought of by the rest of the country as "Northeastern", so too is D.C. The comment above stating that the South begins in Richmond is correct.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 18,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Interesting, but how do you explain Philadelphia? Many people see it as having a near identical culture as Baltimore, and metro of Philadelphia does dip into Maryland. Though do you really believe that northern culture begins at a straight line between MD and PA?
You know, this is really disrespectful to residents of either city. You seem ignorant and fond of gross simplification to advance your perspective/agenda. Baltimore and Philadelphia are WORLDS APART IN CULTURE!!! I am SO SICK of people trying to lump the two together! They are so distinct. I have lived in Baltimore my whole life- I am 39. The first time I ever stepped foot into Philly was last year and I was STRUCK but the differences! Philly, to me seemed like a NYC junior. The buildings were much taller and denser than Baltimore for miles on end. It was grimier and grayer than Baltimore I guess you could say. There is a true subway in Philly along with markets much more reminiscent of something in New York, or even Boston I would say, than Baltimore. Beyond these quick observations, the history of the two cities couldnt be much more different. There is no doubt to any true student of history that Baltimore was a solid part of the Old South. Is it in the South today? No. Was it then? Yes. Developments because of this, including the LARGE predominant African American culture, and developments due to Baltimore's location on the Chesapeake Bay has led to greatly different cultures. However you put it, I am sure most lifelong residents of Baltimore would not see this huge similarity with Philly that you describe.
Anyway, it's whatever as far as what Baltimore is considered. I can tell you that I never usually hear the state classified in any region and whenever I do it is Mid-Atlantic, not Northeastern or Southeastern. Even though the US census says the Mid-Atlantic is part of the Northeast and you believe that too, I think most people think of a different MidAtlantic that you do. This would be a region separate from the northeast, especially in culture, in most people's eyes. Like another person said - the Mid-Atlantic is Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, DC, and MAYBE West Virginia and Pennsylvania. There is no way most lifelong resident of Baltimore considers the state to be in the same region as New York and New Jersey. People here think of those two as a different world, and seeing as I spent plenty of time there I would agree too.

Northeast= New England + New York and NJ.... perhaps PA
Mid-Atlantic= Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, DC... perhaps PA and WV

Just my take on it.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missythatgalforgod View Post
You seem ignorant and fond of gross simplification to advance your perspective/agenda. However you put it, I am sure most lifelong residents of Baltimore would not see this huge similarity with Philly that you describe.
1. I don't see how its disrespectful in any way shape or form. You appear overtly senesitive.
2. Do you follow me around to see if i always tend to simplify everything to advance my agenda? You seem to take a few posts from this thread to make such an assumption. But would like to explain that a little more clearly? I said that many people simply see it that way. Sorry for the truth.
3. Did i describe it at all? Like seriously?

Strange bird.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:06 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,572,273 times
Quote:
Northern culture may or may not start at that line. And really? part of the Philly Metro dips into MD?

When I said the NE starts in PA, I was talking about physical geogrpahy not culture. If wer're talking about culture than I would say Baltimore is still a Mid-Atlantic along with DC. It seems to have a bit of both cultures

So culturally I see MD, VA, DE and Southeast Pennsylvania as "Mid-Atlantic"

Old 12-17-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Northern culture may or may not start at that line. And really? part of the Philly Metro dips into MD?

When I said the NE starts in PA, I was talking about physical geogrpahy not culture. If wer're talking about culture than I would say Baltimore is still a Mid-Atlantic along with DC. It seems to have a bit of both cultures

So culturally I see MD, VA, DE and Southeast Pennsylvania as "Mid-Atlantic"
Oh! I see. I thought you meant culture. And Yes, The Philadelphia metropolitan area includes Cecil county, MD, as well as counties in Delaware and New Jersey. So that would mean that, if we were to say Maryland were geographically southern location, that the Philly metro would be partially southern.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 PM

6 posts, read 18,034 times
Quote:
1. I don't see how its disrespectful in any way shape or form. You appear overtly senesitive.
2. Do you follow me around to see if i always tend to simplify everything to advance my agenda? You seem to take a few posts from this thread to make such an assumption. But would like to explain that a little more clearly? I said that many people simply see it that way. Sorry for the truth.
3. Did i describe it at all? Like seriously?

Strange bird.
1. Yes it is. What is your hometown? I have lived here for decades and the way you haphazardly lump the two together irks me because they are very different. I do not identify with Philadelphians or Pennsylvanians and noone I know really from Baltimore does.
2. I have followed you around by looking at some of your post history. You have an agenda. You wish to make it that Baltimore, and Maryland in general, are nothing but NORTHEASTERN. You dispute any inkling that the city and state were a solid part of the Old South and STILL to this day retain SOME aspects of that old Southern culture. Yet, you wish to close your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears and go "LALALALALA I can't hear you!" like a 3 year old. Stop trying to prove everyone wrong! You will never place a steel nail in the coffin and succeed with labeling Baltimore and Maryland as pure northeastern places. Trust me, history will not let you! I like how you go "sorry for the truth". So sorry hon, it's your OPINION not a fact etched in granite. You can have an opinion but stop spewing it as fact and trying everything in your might to prove something that seems almost like a fixation for you. I have looked and for literally EVERY SINGLE THREAD and almost every post ANYONE tries to mention ANYTHING Baltimore or MD have in common with anyplace but the Northeast you go ballistic. You seriously need to stop.
3. You described plenty over the years in this tread (which I've frequented over the years but finally decided to voice my opinion tonight).

Perhaps I am a flamingo, but you're a dodo my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore