Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore a northern city?
yes 52 45.61%
no 62 54.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:21 PM

6 posts, read 18,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
So that would mean that, if we were to say Maryland were geographically southern location, that the Philly metro would be partially southern.
What oversimplified, pure crap. Hmm, let's say there was a major city on the Eastern Shore of Virginia - undoubtedly Crisfield would be in it's metro. But, of course, if that were the case you would not say the state is southern because Somerset County happened to be in the metro of a SOUTHERN city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:49 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missythatgalforgod View Post
You know, this is really disrespectful to residents of either city. You seem ignorant and fond of gross simplification to advance your perspective/agenda. Baltimore and Philadelphia are WORLDS APART IN CULTURE!!! I am SO SICK of people trying to lump the two together! They are so distinct. I have lived in Baltimore my whole life- I am 39. The first time I ever stepped foot into Philly was last year and I was STRUCK but the differences! Philly, to me seemed like a NYC junior. The buildings were much taller and denser than Baltimore for miles on end. It was grimier and grayer than Baltimore I guess you could say. There is a true subway in Philly along with markets much more reminiscent of something in New York, or even Boston I would say, than Baltimore. Beyond these quick observations, the history of the two cities couldnt be much more different. There is no doubt to any true student of history that Baltimore was a solid part of the Old South. Is it in the South today? No. Was it then? Yes. Developments because of this, including the LARGE predominant African American culture, and developments due to Baltimore's location on the Chesapeake Bay has led to greatly different cultures. However you put it, I am sure most lifelong residents of Baltimore would not see this huge similarity with Philly that you describe.
I'm originally from the Philadelphia area and now live in Baltimore...not sure why you're so offended that people compare the two cities, they are definitely comparable, but Baltimore is smaller. It's not like they're exactly the same, but if you were to ask me what city (that I've been to) is Baltimore most like, I'd probably say Philly. I find it funny (yet not offensive) that you call Phillly NYC Jr., I've never found Philly and NYC to be very similar. Philly was grimier and grayer than Baltimore? Really? I like both cities, but I think they're probably equally grimy and gray, depending on where you are of course, but for example even in the nice areas it's commonplace to find a good deal of trash on the streets. Both cities have their good neighborhoods and their bad ones. Philly's subway is definitely better than Baltimore's, but it's not that great, especially for a city of its size.

Not sure why people keep bringing up all these Civil War-era arguments. Last I checked, no one today was alive during the Civil War. Other than the "segregation" that exists that some on here talk about, I don't know exactly what other "southern influences" I've noticed in Baltimore. And in case you didn't notice, Philadelphia also has a very large and influential African American population.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:12 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
1. Yes it is. What is your hometown? I have lived here for decades and the way you haphazardly lump the two together irks me because they are very different. I do not identify with Philadelphians or Pennsylvanians and noone I know really from Baltimore does.
2. I have followed you around by looking at some of your post history. You have an agenda. You wish to make it that Baltimore, and Maryland in general, are nothing but NORTHEASTERN. You dispute any inkling that the city and state were a solid part of the Old South and STILL to this day retain SOME aspects of that old Southern culture. Yet, you wish to close your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears and go "LALALALALA I can't hear you!" like a 3 year old. Stop trying to prove everyone wrong! You will never place a steel nail in the coffin and succeed with labeling Baltimore and Maryland as pure northeastern places. Trust me, history will not let you! I like how you go "sorry for the truth". So sorry hon, it's your OPINION not a fact etched in granite. You can have an opinion but stop spewing it as fact and trying everything in your might to prove something that seems almost like a fixation for you. I have looked and for literally EVERY SINGLE THREAD and almost every post ANYONE tries to mention ANYTHING Baltimore or MD have in common with anyplace but the Northeast you go ballistic. You seriously need to stop.
3. You described plenty over the years in this tread (which I've frequented over the years but finally decided to voice my opinion tonight).

Perhaps I am a flamingo, but you're a dodo my friend.
Actually, hon, i haven't described the similarities between Baltimore and Philly over the years one bit at all. Perhaps you should stalk me slightly closer, and see that I have in dozens of posts told how Maryland is partially southern. And yes, sorry to say, it is indeed the absolute truth that some people compare the two cities. Cry me a river about it, it won't change it. You are literally going ballistic right now. If you don't agree with me, either don't respond to me, or give me some substance to actually go on rather than the tired argument that "oh you have an agenda! I disagree with you so your opinions wrong! you oversimplify everything!". Please, go displace your frustration somewhere else. Pathetic, really.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Its a bit strange how the last time i was here (a few days ago), the results looked very different.
It was like 34-7 and then a flood of southern votes came in. Neoconfederates need to get a life.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:03 PM

Whetever, I speak for plenty of people. You two have an opinion, not a fact. Baltimore and Philadelphia are very different, it's just a fact. For every similarity I will find you two differences. I have a friend from Philly who visits me all the time and is quick to point out difference and how much he likes it better down here without me saying a word to provoke it. This will be my last post here, I have no need to justify. You still never answered my question Billiam. Funny thing is most of the people who seen Baltimore and Philly as such close cities are natives from anywhere else besides Baltimore. My parting words are- go to the real Baltimore, ie, Dundalk and Essex - go ask around regular everyday working class people with family roots here for decades about what people think of your idea of how similar you think they are to Philadelphia. I'm sure it would be an eye opener for you. I see you like photography; go ahead and film it and post it on here so you can prove me wrong. Have at it.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
It was like 34-7 and then a flood of southern votes came in. Neoconfederates need to get a life.
What an ignorant statement:

1) A vote AGAINST Northern may mean a vote FOR Mid-Atlantic... not specifically a vote for "Southern"
2) Why the hell does someone have to be "neoconfederate" to acknowledge pure fact of Southern roots? Are you also saying someone from Virginia who calls himself a Southerner is "neoconfederate".

What does a "NYMT" man care if lifelong citizens of Maryland believe their city has southern roots anyhow? Here's a good example of how native Marylanders are not like tried and true northeastern fools. You truly are a damn Yankee, now I know what they are talking about.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Whetever, I speak for plenty of people. You two have an opinion, not a fact. Baltimore and Philadelphia are very different, it's just a fact. For every similarity I will find you two differences. I have a friend from Philly who visits me all the time and is quick to point out difference and how much he likes it better down here without me saying a word to provoke it. This will be my last post here, I have no need to justify. You still never answered my question Billiam. Funny thing is most of the people who seen Baltimore and Philly as such close cities are natives from anywhere else besides Baltimore. My parting words are- go to the real Baltimore, ie, Dundalk and Essex - go ask around regular everyday working class people with family roots here for decades about what people think of your idea of how similar you think they are to Philadelphia. I'm sure it would be an eye opener for you. I see you like photography; go ahead and film it and post it on here so you can prove me wrong. Have at it.
Dundalk and Essex are working class ethnic steel towns... like Pittsburgh or South Philly. Yes they're overrun with rednecks but Pennsylvania has hillbillies too.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
What an ignorant statement:

1) A vote AGAINST Northern may mean a vote FOR Mid-Atlantic... not specifically a vote for "Southern"
2) Why the hell does someone have to be "neoconfederate" to acknowledge pure fact of Southern roots? Are you also saying someone from Virginia who calls himself a Southerner is "neoconfederate".

What does a "NYMT" man care if lifelong citizens of Maryland believe their city has southern roots anyhow? Here's a good example of how native Marylanders are not like tried and true northeastern fools. You truly are a damn Yankee, now I know what they are talking about.
The residents of MD do not consider themselves southern as per the results of this poll until you decided to rig the vote....

I was born in Baltimore by the way.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:15 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:

You're absolute over the top attacks and rants were completely inappropriate. To answer your question, I'm a native Marylander. I am not going to photograph anything to prove to somebody who so immaturely protruded onto the site to personally attack my views. Sorry. You've added minimal to this thread, and have not left any kind of respectable or credible impression. I can only be glad you will not be posting anymore.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,393 times
I've read this whole thread for the past 2 hours and i cannot believe some of the ways you people act

Missy needs to tone it down and billam too

I will just comment on the last one cause I need sleep

Essex is not a steel town
Dundalk is but not Essex

I lived in Essex as a kid and Sparrows Point was a big thing in Dundalk but not so much in Essex

Also i voted no to northern just like the weirdo missy because I agree with midatlanic not for the south so i dont think its rigged- it let me vote just one time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore