U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: is baltimore a northern city?
yes 52 45.61%
no 62 54.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2010, 12:34 PM
 
735 posts, read 1,104,962 times
Reputation: 344

Advertisements

I imagine being labeled a Southerner in Baltimore is like being labeled a redneck idiot as if you're from Tallahassee. Baltimore seems southern in the sense people do not take pride in being an a$$ho!# like the good people in Philadelphia. Eastern elitists hate and despise all things southern.

John Wilkes Booth was from Baltimore. It's southern to me.

Last edited by bluenoter; 12-18-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2010, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Maryland: Baltimore and Somerset Counties
51 posts, read 66,718 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
How come most people in this thread think Baltimore is a southern city, when most people think DC is northern?
Is DC still a southern city?
Is DC a Northeast City

and then you have another thread just like this one where 100 to 9, people think Baltimore is northern like philly: Is Baltimore a northester city like Philly or a southern city like Atlanta

Its how the polls worded. People just dont think of it as northern and definitely not southern it seems. to me its midatlantic too, just like most people so when you vote against north it is possible to mean yes for midatlantic. I dont see how hard this is to understand really. It's just an idiotic poll to begin with and a stupid ass argument if you ask me. Its just really irritating to read the crap people try to say are facts on both sides of the fence (North and South), when most of the figures people give seem to be pulled out of their ass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Maryland: Baltimore and Somerset Counties
51 posts, read 66,718 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I imagine being labeled a Southerner in Baltimore is like being labeled a redneck idiot as if you're from Tallahassee. Baltimore seems southern in the sense people do not take pride in being an a$$ho!# like the good people in Philadelphia. Eastern elitists hate and despise all things southern.

John Wilkes Booth was from Baltimore. It's southern to me.
Actually, he was from Bel Air, not Baltimore (even though it is pretty close). I know this because my partner and I went to visit his house there back in June. They do historical seminars but they don't seem to mention him as much as his brother and father (who are a bit famous in their own rights.... for diff reasons of course).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 06:19 PM
 
5,882 posts, read 7,737,086 times
Reputation: 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
How come most people in this thread think Baltimore is a southern city, when most people think DC is northern?
Is DC still a southern city?
Is DC a Northeast City

and then you have another thread just like this one where 100 to 9, people think Baltimore is northern like philly: Is Baltimore a northester city like Philly or a southern city like Atlanta
Wow that one thread got 94 pages of people arguing whether DC was a northeast city? Geez.

But anyway, other than it's physical location as south of Baltimore, I don't think many people would say DC has more southern characteristics than Baltimore does. But if you say Baltimore is South, I guess DC would have to be south by default...

However, the fact that most people consider DC as northern, is probably another argument for those saying that Baltimore is northern, since if DC is north, I guess DC would have to be North by default as well... But again, whatever region you think it's in (I'm going with neither and saying Mid-Atlantic), Baltimore probably does have more southern characteristics than DC does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 07:15 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,739 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Bmore more southern than DC? I disagree 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Maryland: Baltimore and Somerset Counties
51 posts, read 66,718 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Bmore more southern than DC? I disagree 100%
Absolutely it is. I agree 100% with GoPhils. The elite, international residents that live in the DC metro is all you need to look at really. You will not find in DC's suburbs the type of culture that has hints of Southern tradition that semi-rural parts of Essex, Edgemere, and Bowleys Quarters in Baltimore County have. The surrounding metro areas say it all. (Also, you could have an opinion that DC is more Southern than Baltimore in culture if you wish, but keep in mind that DC is formed from Maryland's land so you cannot say DC is more southern than MD as a whole because it would be an oxymoron... and laughably untrue)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 07:41 AM
 
Location: North Baltimore ----> Seattle
6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbailey View Post
Absolutely it is. I agree 100% with GoPhils. The elite, international residents that live in the DC metro is all you need to look at really. You will not find in DC's suburbs the type of culture that has hints of Southern tradition that semi-rural parts of Essex, Edgemere, and Bowleys Quarters in Baltimore County have. The surrounding metro areas say it all. (Also, you could have an opinion that DC is more Southern than Baltimore in culture if you wish, but keep in mind that DC is formed from Maryland's land so you cannot say DC is more southern than MD as a whole because it would be an oxymoron... and laughably untrue)
Yup, JB is right, and so is GoPhils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 04:23 PM
 
Location: New Haven, CT
212 posts, read 351,732 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by missythatgalforgod View Post
What oversimplified, pure crap. Hmm, let's say there was a major city on the Eastern Shore of Virginia - undoubtedly Crisfield would be in it's metro. But, of course, if that were the case you would not say the state is southern because Somerset County happened to be in the metro of a SOUTHERN city...
You are right missythatgalforgod no need to defend yourself from Billiam because he is a troll and wouldnt know northeastern culture if it bit him in the rear. Since I'm am from the northeast(Connecticut) I know what northern is as well as the Census Bureau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
You are right missythatgalforgod no need to defend yourself from Billiam because he is a troll and wouldnt know northeastern culture if it bit him in the rear. Since I'm am from the northeast(Connecticut) I know what northern is as well as the Census Bureau.
Lovely, insightful post.

Somebody who digs up a somewhat older thread in order to personally attack somebody, and pretend to speak with somebody who has already said they are no longer with the site, can be seen with ease as a troll. Perhaps you're projecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,739 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbailey View Post
Absolutely it is. I agree 100% with GoPhils. The elite, international residents that live in the DC metro is all you need to look at really. You will not find in DC's suburbs the type of culture that has hints of Southern tradition that semi-rural parts of Essex, Edgemere, and Bowleys Quarters in Baltimore County have. The surrounding metro areas say it all. (Also, you could have an opinion that DC is more Southern than Baltimore in culture if you wish, but keep in mind that DC is formed from Maryland's land so you cannot say DC is more southern than MD as a whole because it would be an oxymoron... and laughably untrue)
DC residents sound southern. The city of DC has areas that resemble Richmond, and DC's NOVA suburbs resembles Atlanta especially Herndon, Chantilly, Tyson's Corner, Loudon County. I have a question: is Richmond, and Hampton Roads more southern than NOVA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top