Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,787 times

Advertisements

Charles Village is also known for late night prostitution, mainly gay men dressed as women. They are not bothersome but is a tremendous eye soar. I have personnally seen them late late night "after hours" 2-5 am. Its also rumored that there is tension between these cross dressors and female prostitutes both of whom suppose to have there own territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe2fr View Post
Charles Village is also known for late night prostitution, mainly gay men dressed as women. They are not bothersome but is a tremendous eye soar. I have personnally seen them late late night "after hours" 2-5 am. Its also rumored that there is tension between these cross dressors and female prostitutes both of whom suppose to have there own territory.
Ah--no----The cross dressers used to hang out on lower Calvert Street by the Sun building practically downtown. This doesn't happen in Charles Village. Geeze--they have their own privately hired security force; plus the Hopkins police; plus the City police.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:02 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Ah--no----The cross dressers used to hang out on lower Calvert Street by the Sun building practically downtown. This doesn't happen in Charles Village. Geeze--they have their own privately hired security force; plus the Hopkins police; plus the City police.
Yes it does. They moved north after being pushed out of Mt. Vernon. Police cameras have recently been put up on St. Paul St.

Baltimore Crime Beat: Prostitutes in Charles Village - Baltimore, Maryland crime news, blogs and video - baltimoresun.com

Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Default A benefit district

Charles Village is a full service neighborhood.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:09 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
I guess they moved up a bit. The article seems to point at 21st near Charles and St Paul as the epicenter. I am confused as I thought Charles Village started at 25th. Either way, I stand corrected. I guess I got to get out more at night!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I guess they moved up a bit. The article seems to point at 21st near Charles and St Paul as the epicenter. I am confused as I thought Charles Village started at 25th. Either way, I stand corrected. I guess I got to get out more at night!
You're sort of right about 25th St. The problem is Charles Village isn't a rectangle--it starts at 25th St. on its eastern side but extends down to 20th St. on the major north/south streets on the west (Howard to Calvert).

You're probably better off staying at home!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,706 times
I love Charles Village!! My favorites are the Baltimore Museum of Art, Eddie's Market, Wyman Park, Normal's Bookstore, Farmer's Market, Paper Moon Diner (although I haven't been recently and have heard not-so-good stuff). Enjoy your new neighborhood!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM

569 posts, read 1,441,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay03 View Post
Also, can anyone tell me what is actually considered "Charles Village?" When looking at apartments on craigslist, I'm not sure if it's in a fringe area or actual Charles Village. (For example: N Calvert St & E 30th St?) Are there are street boundaries to give me an idea of where I should look?

If you go to www.yahoo.com/maps and zoom into a certain level, the neighborhoods are color coded. It's very helpful.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 AM

13 posts, read 61,983 times
I am familiar with both neighborhoods. CV and Bolton Hill are relatively similar - high student population, liberal population, safer than most places in Baltimore (due to the presence of both Baltimore and campus polices), beautiful & spacious houses, relatively inexpensive etc.

Charles Village (where I live), although for the most part residential, contains more city living - there are affordable restaurants, book stores, a great indie video store, bars, non-profits, a starbucks, two grocery stores (eddies and safeway) along with more cars/buses/sirens at night etc. The houses are spacious and have been beautifully restored and painted in a variety of fun colors. Some call them Baltimore's own "painted ladies." In terms of safety - Harwood and Barclay (on the east) are not exactly nice areas. Waverly (north east) has great discount stores and a wonderful farmers market. To the west is Hampden which is becoming an increasingly hip place to be. Guilford (up north) is beautiful. Once you go north, it only starts getting nicer.

Bolton Hill is quieter. There are more families/professionals who have settled down. Less frats, more art students. Closer to artscape (an amazing arts festival that happens every summer). The houses are beautiful, large and historic - it still has the feeling of picturesque old wealthy Baltimore of the early 20th century. Bolton Hill is closer to downtown where there are nicer/more expensive restaurants, bars etc. Although this neighborhood is pretty safe, to the west is Sandtown, which is one of Baltimore's worst neighborhoods.

I personally adore both neighborhoods. I'd suggest that you let the individual houses you look at sell you.

Last edited by eatyourmakeup; 11-07-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 11:32 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Default Things to consider

While the OP has presumably found love and happiness in Charles Village by now, a few observations.
Years ago I lived in Bolton Hill at two different locations. It was fine. The neighborhood has greatly improved since. Consult boltonhill.org. I have never lived in Charles Village, I have friends who are very happy there.
Back to Bolton Hill. Walking back from the Greek festival on this glorious Sunday, I passed by the new University of Baltimore complex next to the light-rail stop along Mount Royal Avenue. The addition will be ready in another six months or so. That adds a Barnes and Noble (CV has one) plus restaurants, further improving BH livability.
Either neighborhood is fine. If one is buying and can get a good price in BH, I personally would prefer that because of the light rail and proximity to Penn Station. It's really a toss-up that depends on your preference and budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: