U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:37 PM

20 posts, read 104,780 times
Default Bolton Hill versus Charles Village

Hi... I am moving to Baltimore from Richmond. I have been to Bolton Hill and there's an apartment I like (Lanvale & Bolton) and I really loved the atmosphere of the neighborhood. However, now I am hearing that Charles Village is another nice area, and probably safer than Bolton Hill. I haven't been there, so I can't compare. I'm wondering if you can help me.

How would you compare these two areas for a 26-year-old professional female living alone? Keeping in mind issues of safety, parking, arts/culture and the general aesthetic of the neighborhood.

THANK YOU! Seriously, thank you so much to everyone on this forum who answers our endless questions about moving to this city. Your help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 03:21 PM

689 posts, read 2,137,133 times
To be honest, I find questions about safety a little puzzling -- I'm never sure how to answer a stranger's inquiry as to whether a neighborhood is "safe" or not. What you may consider safe, I might consider unsafe.

I think when moving into an urban environment, one has to assume a certain amount of risk, whether the neighborhood is labelled "good" or not. You could be robbed anywhere, depending on your level of common sense, how you carry yourself when you're walking down the street, how you dress, or whether you just have the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Both Bolton Hill and Charles Village are neighborhoods I would describe as being overall "good" -- but I'm sure some well-meaning soul will chime in and declare them both to be meccas of crime and filth, simply because both are located in Baltimore City. I like Bolton Hill for its proximity to downtown and MICA...but I like Charles Village for its proximity to a decent grocery store, shops, restaurants, and theaters. Parking I would assume again that both would be similar...maybe Charles Village would have less available parking at night and more during the day, Bolton Hill might be the opposite, due to the number of MICA students in the neighborhood.

I can't really recommend one over the other, so if you're leaning towards Bolton Hill -- go for it!

Old 07-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks carolott, I appreciate your response.

I'm fully prepared to accept a certain level of risk for the benefits of city life. I've lived in Manhattan and in downtown Richmond and felt safe in both. I do feel less safe in Baltimore than in other cities I've been in, but I'm still not turned off by it. So, that said, I guess as far as my concerns about safety, I'm just wondering if there is a big difference in "perceived" safety between the two neighborhoods. It seems from your response that there isn't much of a difference.

Could you tell me a little more about the amenities of Charles Village that you mentioned? Namely, what theaters are you referring to? Movies or Stage? And what grocery store is nearby? Is it an actual supermarket or just a small market? Thanks!

Lindsay

Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 PM

Hi there --

There's a large Safeway supermarket in Charles Village, and the theatres are both movie and stage.

If you've lived in both Richmond and NYC, you should do fine here. I feel much safer here than I did the few times I visited Richmond, except for the time I spent in the Fan. That was really lovely. On the other hand, I feel much safer in NYC than I do here. See what I mean about safety being such a wildcard? :-)

Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 PM

I actually live in the Fan and love it (near Carytown if you're familiar). Since you know about the Fan, do you think Bolton Hill and Charles Village are the closest matches to the Fan in Baltimore? (I can't afford Fells Point or Federal Hill)...

Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:45 PM

Also, can anyone tell me what is actually considered "Charles Village?" When looking at apartments on craigslist, I'm not sure if it's in a fringe area or actual Charles Village. (For example: N Calvert St & E 30th St?) Are there are street boundaries to give me an idea of where I should look?

Old 07-12-2007, 03:05 PM

I don't know about neighborhood boundaries...realtors like to label an area with a "better"-sounding name if it sells houses.

Yes, I do know Carytown. I would say Charles Village has the shops and restaurants, but Bolton Hill has the architecture.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:34 PM

77 posts, read 258,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay03 View Post
Also, can anyone tell me what is actually considered "Charles Village?" When looking at apartments on craigslist, I'm not sure if it's in a fringe area or actual Charles Village. (For example: N Calvert St & E 30th St?) Are there are street boundaries to give me an idea of where I should look?
I lived on Maryland and 26th. Folks told me I lived in 'Chuck' Village(the fringe.) never had issues there. I would say 33rd to the N, 26th or 25th to the south, Howard to the east and Barclay to the West. As in most city neighborhoods the closer to the center the better. Calvert and 30th would be be right in the middle. There are a lot of JHU students in this area.
FWIW: Bolton hill has better mass transit access. Penn line(MARC) to DC and the light rail, something to consider. Also it has Brewers Art nearby(brewpub)

Old 07-26-2007, 06:42 PM

1,934 posts, read 4,001,104 times
Default Noise issues

If noise bothers you, I'd go to Bolton Hill. Calvert & 30th, for example, is bound to be noisy with cop cars and ambos wailing their sirens 24/7.
The Safeway was a huge improvement when it opened. But it is the most expensive of the major chains.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:01 PM

415 posts, read 1,337,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolott View Post
Both Bolton Hill and Charles Village are neighborhoods I would describe as being overall "good" -- but I'm sure some well-meaning soul will chime in and declare them both to be meccas of crime and filth, simply because both are located in Baltimore City.
Anything in Baltimore city is the epitome of crime and filth...

(sorry, someone had to say it! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore