U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 AM

83 posts, read 366,558 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Federal Hill and I'm looking for a nice bike ride I can do from the city. I'm fine using my bike to get around the city but I'd like a relaxing, recreational ride where I'm not fighting cars the entire time.

Gwynns Falls Trail looks like a good ride but my girlfriend is freaked that it goes through west Baltimore. She knows Baltimore a lot better than I do so I'm hesitant. I might try it on my own but I don't want to get jacked. We tried the part of the trail that goes south from M&T and it was about the ugliest scenery possible. We turned around when it got too ghetto for a couple of white people on nice bikes with dorky helmets.

How is Gwynns Falls Trail heading west? Any other rides?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:11 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,731,782 times
Don't be scared. I do this ride all the time from end to end. It's fine. Take the side trail to Dickeyville - it's a place like no other in Baltimore. When you get to Leakin Park make sure you stop by the Carrie Murray Nature Center and explore the grounds of the Crimea estate. Very cool stuff.

Try the Jones Falls Trail also. You can also ride the light rail to Glen Burnie and ride the B&A trail to Annapolis.

By the way, you might be just a little bit too nervous about being white and about things looking "ghetto." I know you live in Federal Hill and all but hey, this city is like 2/3s black and rather poor. So you might see things that you make you uncomfortable from time to time. Deal with it.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 AM

83 posts, read 366,558 times
Thanks for the info.

I don't mind being uncomfortable but I do mind being unsafe. There are places where I would not want to be dropped off with a $1000 bike and standing out like a sore thumb in exercise gear with a helmet.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,731,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillThePill View Post
Thanks for the info.

I don't mind being uncomfortable but I do mind being unsafe. There are places where I would not want to be dropped off with a $1000 bike and standing out like a sore thumb in exercise gear with a helmet.
I get that and I apologize for being defensive. But it's a pretty popular trail - you won't exactly stick out like a "sore thumb." I bet you'll see a lot of other riders if you go tomorrow since the weather is supposed to be nice.

Remember, you can ride faster than someone who is just standing there.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 AM

3,048 posts, read 2,886,524 times
I rode this trail last summer from Dickeyville to downtown -- did not see another soul the entire ride. Admittedly, you come out on some of the more down and out streets on the west side. Since the City cut funding for Parks Service, you won't find any Park workers anywhere on the trail. I plan to bike it again this Spring but, I will admit to being a bit uneasy. I guess the history of Leakin Park is hard to shake.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:19 PM

5,735 posts, read 8,805,952 times
If you feel more comfortable in a group.. check out one of the local cycle shops and join a "club" and participate on a group ride. The City Parks and Rec also sponsors group rides through the various trails and scheduled times. Just like in any park, you should be mindful of your surroundings...carry mace if you want to feel a little more protected. Riders I spoke to often times go in the mornings and on Sundays... I guess would be thugs are asleep then

Old 03-25-2011, 07:07 AM

558 posts, read 1,137,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I get that and I apologize for being defensive. But it's a pretty popular trail - you won't exactly stick out like a "sore thumb." I bet you'll see a lot of other riders if you go tomorrow since the weather is supposed to be nice.

Remember, you can ride faster than someone who is just standing there.
He can't outrun a bullet, even on a bike.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:47 AM

5,735 posts, read 8,805,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
He can't outrun a bullet, even on a bike.

Most of these thugs cant aim much less hit a moving target... Anyone want to test my theory....

Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 AM

558 posts, read 1,137,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Most of these thugs cant aim much less hit a moving target... Anyone want to test my theory....
I'll have to respectfully decline!

Old 05-30-2011, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,810 times
I ride the Gwynns Falls trail daily from Dickeyville and I feel safe. There are a group of people who are on the trail everyday and it's a great ride. I envy those who start from downtown and ride up to Dickeyville, you have a downhill ride home. We struggle a little somedays on the hill after Leon Day Park.
One thing I would suggest is buying a good set of puncture resistant tires and caring a patch kit and pump.
Have fun riding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or