U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,145 times

Advertisements

Need help from you experts ,if it is ok to plan to buy a house with Stormwater storage in the backyard. Builder mentions that the fencing across the stormwater storage will be strongly fenced so that there are no accidents with childeren. This rain/stormwater storage looks like "A Brown Pond" in the backyard.

Q1) Will there be any disadvantages with buying this house.
Q2) Any experienced user in this situation can comment if they are facing any issues Mosquitoes, insects, snakes, Ducks&birds(and dropings)
Q3) Will there be any flooding concerns.
Q4)issues with resale price.

In lot of confusion , i appreciate if anyone can help me advise on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 06:52 PM

1,759 posts, read 4,263,409 times
Is it currently affecting the sales price? If so then yes you can generally assume it will affect the sales price in the future.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 AM

152 posts, read 421,157 times
One of my good friends is a biologist that studies mosquitoes, and she has tole me that ANY standing water is a great breeding ground for those buggers.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 AM

5,735 posts, read 8,805,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by praoe View Post
Need help from you experts ,if it is ok to plan to buy a house with Stormwater storage in the backyard. Builder mentions that the fencing across the stormwater storage will be strongly fenced so that there are no accidents with childeren. This rain/stormwater storage looks like "A Brown Pond" in the backyard.

Q1) Will there be any disadvantages with buying this house.
Q2) Any experienced user in this situation can comment if they are facing any issues Mosquitoes, insects, snakes, Ducks&birds(and dropings)
Q3) Will there be any flooding concerns.
Q4)issues with resale price.

In lot of confusion , i appreciate if anyone can help me advise on this issue.

1) I dont think there are any advantages..unless your community does like others and puts in a spray fountain with lights to aerate it. Get on the HOA Board early and put one in....
2) Your HOA..assuming you have one.. Will be responsible for maintaining since I dont believe they are regulated per se by the City/County. All of the critters you mention will be an issue Mosquitioes eat (you); frogs eat Mosquitoes, Snakes and Ducks (More likely Canadian Geese) eat frogs and each other.... A regular Wild Kingdom

3) Flooding shouldnt be an issue unless there is an earthquake or monsoon

4)It likely depends.. How far is it from the rear of your home.. Is it going to be screened with trees

Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,448 times
Default Stormwater Plan Companies

Hello, this forum is awesome. I like the information share here.

Stormwater Plan

Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,630,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy22 View Post
Hello, this forum is awesome. I like the information share here.

Stormwater Plan
It looks meaningless to me. Is there a better link? Or is this spam?

Old 06-01-2012, 01:50 PM

759 posts, read 1,036,466 times
Remember the West Nile Encephalitis scare of 10-12 years back? I was working part-time for the MD Dept of Agriculture, Insect Pests Division at that time. I suspect what you have adjacent to your property is an SWMP (Storm Water Management Pond). These are generally constructed in areas where there is already low-lying or sloping ground, or depressions in the earth from cave-ins, run-offs, intermittent creeks, poor grading, abandoned/destroyed large scale construction projects, etc.,etc. They are there to collect rain water or ground water so that it won't flood the surrounding area. They are definite breeding grounds for mosquitoes, and were one of our main targets for larviciding during the summer months. I recommend contacting the Agriculture Dept with your concerns.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM

2,666 posts, read 2,775,458 times
Maryland has recently changed their Stormwater management rules for new development. Budget cuts have just about killed the pest management program that kept down the mosquitoes and gnats in some regions.

When you said 'in the backyard' is it on your property? or next to it. Is there always ater in it or only during runoff periods? In our area they are usually owned and maintained ( or not) by the town, the county, state roads, or a private landowner. In our town the ones the town owns are mowed (down to the 'high water line') by the town. The one closest to me occasionally has it's drain pipe clogged up and water builds up. It has never overflowed but it has gotten pretty high. If it had clogged just before one of our regions 'monster storms' it may have overflowed and come across some neighbors property. you should be able to tell where the emergency overflow is. I've seen others that are less well maintained.

The land around the SWM if it is allowed to be overgrown may be the home for 'wildlife' including groundhogs, rabbits,racoons and skunks. rabbits are cute, groundhogs can be viscous, skunks are just bad. rabies can be a problem with many species.

If improperly in can hurt your property value, do not expect trees. in general they will not be allowed to grow on the SWM area because it hurts the capacity of the facility. if you want them you will have to plant and care for them.
If it is on your property YES it will hurt your property value because you are responsible for its care and proper functioning FOREVER. It is possible the state could force you to retrofit it to meet newer standards (unlikely but not unknown by the powers that be in Annapolis)

Old 06-23-2016, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 455 times
All Concerned,

Thank you for posting your comments to this forum. I recently viewed a new property that has a SWMP in the backyard (per that plat). I did not know what it was, so I inquired about it with a good friend of mine who is a builder. He advised to not purchase that property, so I purchased one away from the SWMP. Had I entered into the purchase agreement, the SWMP would have been in my backyard -- several feet from my walkout basement/deck.

I am thankful that I did not as I had concerns regarding the mosquitos and wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or