U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,730 times

Advertisements

February bill before credit: 783.07
February bill after credit: $653.07
February bill minus deposit: $552.07

March bill: $430.32
March bill minus deposit: $328.32

Small, two bedroom town house located in Fells Point.

Before my roommate left, the account was in her name and we never received a monthly bill of more than $220.

Once I switched the account to my name, the bills got outrageous.
Originally called BGE in late January when I received the February bill. They put it under investigation and said it would take 3-4 weeks for a response which I would receive in the mail (was never received as of now).I called the "investigation agent" that was assigned to me and left five voicemails over two weeks. No response.

Finally spoke to a woman at the BGE main line who said all the information I had been looking for almost a month was in my file. Apparently BGE had given me a $130 credit. They wouldn't tell me what it was for and how they came to that number. They said I owe a total of $1083.39 (For Feb and March combined.

Can someone please explain or guess why my bill has been so high? There was never an issue before my old roommate left. It doesn't make any sense. I use very little lighting and the average temperature in the house is no less than 60, no higher than 65.

Has anyone else experienced a bill this high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 AM

50 posts, read 144,594 times
Do you know if you are doing budget billing/was your roommate doing budget billing?

I do budget billing which keeps my monthly payment consistent, month over month. The only caveat is that I will have to pay deficit at the end of the year...

Maybe your roommate did the budget billing and you are paying the deficit?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:47 PM

1,759 posts, read 4,267,022 times
That's absurd unless you are using a giant gasoline generator to power the heating system and leaving the windows open with the heat blasting. My BGE bill was $50 a month in Canton for a 900sq ft home. Check your gas meter. Maybe it's broken or something. Either way something is really wrong.

Actually upon thinking about it the budget billing makes sense. If you're not paying the full amount during the year you would have to pay the difference.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:51 AM

26,893 posts, read 57,997,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highBGEbill View Post

Can someone please explain or guess why my bill has been so high?
1: "degree days"
2: "estimated meter readings"

Your assembly of total amounts means nothing.
Break it down by actual usage (as claimed on the bill) then compare that with the actual meter readings, and then compare that to previous years bills for consumption units (KwH and Gas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore