U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 PM

4,562 posts, read 7,621,816 times

Advertisements

Being poor isn't an excuse to act like a sub-human. If you are poor and live on public assistance and do no harm to anyone else, who cares. I just wish they would make people that get free government stuff have to work for it, like picking up trash, shoveling sidewalks, helping other unfortunates that have disabilities, etc.

Now, as soon as anybody, poor people included, turn to crime, harbor criminals under their roof, committ welfare fraud, or start acting thoughtlessly in ways that increase the burden they place on society (like continuing to have kids will sucking off the taxpayers) then all of my compassion and mercy goes out the window.

The place for most of these people (not the breeders, just give them IUDs or chem. castration) is jail, the laws exist to put them there, the police know where they live. It is time to kick some butt as a society and stop dumping money down the drain to people that flaunt their entitlements by breaking the law and bring the rest of us down. At least for prisoners, the tax payers are shelling out money as a method to keep them safely away from the rest of us.

Last edited by westsideboy; 04-03-2011 at 09:44 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 PM

158 posts, read 326,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
I read that someone may purchase the property and said that they would clean up the property.
Ugh. So another Section 8 property owner would buy it from the current owner and would promise to do a better job at managing that massive, ugly property?? Hmmm. Maybe. Perhaps if the owner/manager was located in the state that would help (I think the current owner is in CA).

I have to say, the lack of news about MPN getting shut down after the initial newsplash in August and again in October made me wonder if things weren't progressing as the city had planned. There might have been lots of closed-door negotiations.

Well this is depressing. I'm obviously going to sound really bourge-y here but I was so hoping that place would be knocked to the ground (AFTER the families and older folks that lived there were given assistance to relocate to better housing) - - and MICA would expand there with maybe a Whole Foods in the ground floor. hahaha. (I KNOW I'm just asking for it by airing that wish!) Or some sort of development that would help connect ResHill to Bolton Hill. I heard there was a grant receiving and a study will be conducted by Jubilee Baltimore (I think, or another midtown committee) about development to connect ResHill/Bolton Hill/Madison Park... Studies are just that, but they're a start. At least someone sees the need for that connection.

I might try to make it up for the meeting on Tuesday.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 AM

226 posts, read 290,557 times
some people are quick to throw the poor under the bus, without understanding the persons background and upbringing, to criticize behavior without understanding is just a criticism and offers no solutions...many criminal behaviors of the poor can be explained as an elementary case of cause and effect...to think that the public school system could change a persons background derived from decades of poverty and abuse is stupid at best....the most poor, vulnerable and exploited should be given alternatives like real job training like maybe a trade or other valuable skill that will give them independence

Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 AM

782 posts, read 929,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
some people are quick to throw the poor under the bus, without understanding the persons background and upbringing, to criticize behavior without understanding is just a criticism and offers no solutions...many criminal behaviors of the poor can be explained as an elementary case of cause and effect...to think that the public school system could change a persons background derived from decades of poverty and abuse is stupid at best....the most poor, vulnerable and exploited should be given alternatives like real job training like maybe a trade or other valuable skill that will give them independence
Agreed. Making sweeping generalizations without having a clear, coherent understanding of all the factors at play, can be attributed to a certain level of (avoidable) ignorance.

Anyone heading to the meeting tonight? If so, PM me!

Old 04-05-2011, 03:04 PM

Here is some cause and effect.

Cause - be convicted of a crime
Effect - Go to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200

Same applies for rich and poor. Excuses go out the window when your actions are criminal and negatively affect others and bring down your community.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,774,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
Cry me a river. My parents grew up a lot poorer than most Black Americans, they are from Africa. Poverty does not mean depravity and not acting like a normal human being.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,774,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Agreed. Making sweeping generalizations without having a clear, coherent understanding of all the factors at play, can be attributed to a certain level of (avoidable) ignorance.

Anyone heading to the meeting tonight? If so, PM me!
Don't need to or care to know the reasons. I care about what I see and how it affects others. There is no excuse for what we see out of places like Madison North. None. The wounds are self inflicted nobody did anything to them to make them disrespect their own neighborhoods.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Cry me a river. My parents grew up a lot poorer than most Black Americans, they are from Africa. Poverty does not mean depravity and not acting like a normal human being.
Amen.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Don't need to or care to know the reasons. I care about what I see and how it affects others. There is no excuse for what we see out of places like Madison North. None. The wounds are self inflicted nobody did anything to them to make them disrespect their own neighborhoods.
I wish you would have been present at the meeting this evening.

Street Ordinances
Redlining
FHA Practices favoring Whites leading to Suburbanization
Residential Segregation
Deindustrialization
Federal Policies (i.e. Urban Renewal and Public Housing)
"Spatial Mismatch"
Concentrated Poverty
Underfunded, poor performing inner-city schools

The list could go on and on. Enroll in an urban history class. Or, just stop by the local library. American Apartheid is a good read. Or, The Truly Disadvantaged by Wilson. While you say you really care about what is going on, and how it affects others, your narrow-minded comments speak otherwise and illustrate how blatantly uninformed you really are on this topic.

MPN is the byproduct of a series of collective factors--yes, there's always bad apples in every bunch--that's often the case with any group, regardless of class, ethnic background, etc. But, blaming an entire class of people based upon a small percentage of individuals 'ruining it' for everyone else, (as well as failing to realize MPN is the way it is due to severe, long-term landlord neglect), is extremely callous and incredibly naive.

If you want to chat about this further, send me a PM.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
Looks like Madison Park North may not be getting shutdown. What a shame!
This property, based upon this evening's meeting, will be shut down and residents will be relocated. Whether HUD or the City ends up with this task, is yet to be determined, primarily based upon the results of a secondary, HUD-organized, thorough physical inspection to be conducted early next month.

Either way, the property will soon be meeting its long-awaited, destined fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or