U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 05:27 AM

805 posts, read 1,785,754 times

Advertisements

This is great news in my opinion. I can't wait for it to happen and see how much it will change Reservoir Hill and Bolton Hill.

Thanks for the update.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM

226 posts, read 290,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Here is some cause and effect.

Cause - be convicted of a crime
Effect - Go to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200

Same applies for rich and poor. Excuses go out the window when your actions are criminal and negatively affect others and bring down your community.
actually this concept doesnt apply to the rich, they commit many crimes that affect large groups of people and they walk free see govt bank bailouts, illegal wars, corporate corruption...basically there is gross inequality in society to think that sending someone to jail will solve anything is again stupid, the money you spend sending someone to jail could be better spent training someone or keeping community centers open, jail is just a criminal college and a criminal wont be learning anything about contributing positively society...to edward a..just bcuz you are poor does not mean you will commit crime...but poverty plus yrs of abuse drugs and ignorance are a good recipe for disaster..again no one is blaming you or asking you to cry, what im saying is understand someone other than yourself so we can figure out how to better each other so we can move forward not backwards...complaining and finger pointing never did anything for anybody

Old 04-06-2011, 07:25 AM

i went to the meeting last night, the housing commisioner was there mr. graziano and mary pat clarke...they explained that the mpn would have a federal inspection in about 2 weeks and if they failed then HUD would revoke the section 8 license and the residents would receive money to move and a new section 8 voucher for their new home or if they passed inspection the city would still close the project based on its past history however the residents would not be paid for moving they would receive a voucher and the city would have to pay for the citizens to move...the commish said that either hud or the city would demolish the property and rezone it based on some plan called choice neighborhoods...but he also said that they had no immediate plans to redevelop the property...does anyone have an idea of what kinds of development should take place at the site?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM

5,733 posts, read 8,798,545 times
Spicer's Run II.. Spicers Run is the townhome complex just across North Ave in Bolton Hill.. That or let MICA expand on to it.. North Ave between Howard Street and St. Paul is revitalizing itself as part of Station North. The City should try and connect the dots and revitalize it from MPN to St. Paul Street.. Phase I and from Penn North Subway Station to Greenmount -Phase II

By the way.. why is there a gaping hole at North Ave and Mt. Royal? I see that the Northeast Corridor runs under it.. but I am surprised AMTRAK hasnt sold the air rights and allowed a building to be built overtop.. Great location for a MICA dorm or some other residential development. Same thing should occur above the North Ave Light Rail Station.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 AM

206 posts, read 389,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
i went to the meeting last night, the housing commisioner was there mr. graziano and mary pat clarke...
NO! Mary Ann Henderson from HUD.

As for what should happen there - maybe we could wait until some of the planning takes place around the Eutaw corridor thanks to the grant money Jubilee won.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remstone View Post
NO! Mary Ann Henderson from HUD.

As for what should happen there - maybe we could wait until some of the planning takes place around the Eutaw corridor thanks to the grant money Jubilee won.

what grant money from jubilee?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM

206 posts, read 389,541 times
Quote:
what grant money from jubilee?
Welcome to Baltimore Housing

Remember when Graziano mentioned Choice Neighborhoods as far as future plans for the area? This is what he's talking about. Baltimore Housing is also matching some amount of the grant - two weeks ago he said one for one, last night he said something below $150k, and I see no public printed statement so I'm guessing it depends on the budget.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:10 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
Quote:
actually this concept doesnt apply to the rich, they commit many crimes that affect large groups of people and they walk free see govt bank bailouts, illegal wars, corporate corruption...basically there is gross inequality in society to think that sending someone to jail will solve anything is again stupid, the money you spend sending someone to jail could be better spent training someone or keeping community centers open, jail is just a criminal college and a criminal wont be learning anything about contributing positively society...to edward a..just bcuz you are poor does not mean you will commit crime...but poverty plus yrs of abuse drugs and ignorance are a good recipe for disaster..again no one is blaming you or asking you to cry, what im saying is understand someone other than yourself so we can figure out how to better each other so we can move forward not backwards...complaining and finger pointing never did anything for anybody
I never said rich people CONVICTED of a crime shouldn't go to jail too. Of course they should. Most of the other stuff you mention may be "social crimes" to you, but are not actually statuatory crimes like knifing somebody, or sticking them up, or beating the crap out them.

Secondly, I don't want to spend my tax dollars on all of those other things you mention that may/may not convince a felon to turn their life around. I would rather spend my money putting them, and keeping them, in jail where they are away from me and the rest of law-abiding society.

I don't want to point fingers, I want to hold people accountable for their actions, period. Once again, be convicted of a crime, go to jail. There is no "me" in this equation at all other than being a citizen protected when a criminal is incarcerated.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 12,230 times
Listen I grew up in Madison Park. I am only 17. I never got locked up, or sold drugs. Honestly other people's tax money help keep me healthy and a place to live. The government is now paying for me to go to college. My sister goes to college too. My mother has raised two children in that projects that are in college. She made mistakes where she did not go to college, and we have to rely on the government and other people money, I will admit. But thats life, people make mistakes. I applaud any person that can say that they support themselves without help from the government , legally. That doesn't mean you can look down and judge people based on their financial status. Sure you are living comfortable or hard right now-either way you are supporting yourself, but things change.

I'm really sick and tired of people degrading minorities. Its getting old, the middle and up class don't always make the best contributions to society either. Hopefully I can get a decent job to support myself. I just wanted to say yes some people on welfare don't try to improve their lives, but that isn't all of them. Going to school and getting a good job can help you with live, but that doesn't mean you will have a good character or personality.

You can look down on those living in Madison Park, but just remember there always someone that can look down on where you live no matter how hard you work for your home or career.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 12,230 times
Damn I just realize how crazy it would be not seeing Madison Park anymore. I lived there my whole life basically, and I grew up wondering why people act the way they did. I just wondered when did the guys who sold drugs decided that type of lifestyle. I finally see it though, without the right guidance, growing up in that type of environment is dangerous for the mind. Some of these people are really twisted. All they know is Murda Mall and WHITELOCK CITY. Ha. Its really crazy. Seriously, I don't words can capture how these people mentally think about whats important. I should be happy, that they are finally doing something about that Hell, but at the same time I use to call that Hell home. I wish it was a way to get rid of crime, but the crime won't go away it will just move to a different part of the city. That's unfortunate.

When those new apartments and house across from the street on North Ave were built I used to joke around with my uncle and mother and say "Damn I feel sorry for those people. They pay all that money and have to look out the back of their houses at Murda Mall".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or