U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 AM

226 posts, read 290,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I never said rich people CONVICTED of a crime shouldn't go to jail too. Of course they should. Most of the other stuff you mention may be "social crimes" to you, but are not actually statuatory crimes like knifing somebody, or sticking them up, or beating the crap out them.

Secondly, I don't want to spend my tax dollars on all of those other things you mention that may/may not convince a felon to turn their life around. I would rather spend my money putting them, and keeping them, in jail where they are away from me and the rest of law-abiding society.

I don't want to point fingers, I want to hold people accountable for their actions, period. Once again, be convicted of a crime, go to jail. There is no "me" in this equation at all other than being a citizen protected when a criminal is incarcerated.
Again you fail to see the big picture we are all in this together no matter how much time a person spends in jail they will get out and they will either have positive or negaitve skills to help them survive in this society...i would rather contribute to the positive so that they may turn their lives around,make an honest living, pay taxes, raise their children so that the future may be better...as for the rich people committing crimes like i said rich people committ acts of murder, robbery, assault, rape and like i said they walk free thats just how the world is not just in america
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 AM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
Again you fail to see the big picture we are all in this together no matter how much time a person spends in jail they will get out and they will either have positive or negaitve skills to help them survive in this society...i would rather contribute to the positive so that they may turn their lives around,make an honest living, pay taxes, raise their children so that the future may be better...as for the rich people committing crimes like i said rich people committ acts of murder, robbery, assault, rape and like i said they walk free thats just how the world is not just in america
I don't see the "rich" people getting away with murder, robbery, assault, rape, etc. In fact when rich people screw up, society and the media jump on them harder because it is a juicier story.

We are not all in this together. My job isn't to prop up those that have already screwed up. Sorry. If someone is a convicted criminal for acts involving violence or serious theft, I don't feel compassion for them, I don't want them in my community, I don't feel any sort of human connection at all. You act like an animal, be treated like an animal.

Who said they have to get out of jail? Of course, the punishment should fit the crime, but I see individuals with rap sheets pages long that are on the "catch and release" program. This shouldn't be. Two strikes for violent crime and you are in for good. As I see it, I am either going to be paying for them to be on welfare and on these "programs" that may/may not help them, or I can pay my tax dollars to put bars between them and me. I would rather use my tax dollars on the "sure thing" because it is the security of the rest of society that is at stake.

No, I am not a compassionate person when it comes to this issue, but my proposed world is a much nicer place for those of us that behave decently towards our fellow human beings.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I don't see the "rich" people getting away with murder, robbery, assault, rape, etc. In fact when rich people screw up, society and the media jump on them harder because it is a juicier story.

We are not all in this together. My job isn't to prop up those that have already screwed up. Sorry. If someone is a convicted criminal for acts involving violence or serious theft, I don't feel compassion for them, I don't want them in my community, I don't feel any sort of human connection at all. You act like an animal, be treated like an animal.

Who said they have to get out of jail? Of course, the punishment should fit the crime, but I see individuals with rap sheets pages long that are on the "catch and release" program. This shouldn't be. Two strikes for violent crime and you are in for good. As I see it, I am either going to be paying for them to be on welfare and on these "programs" that may/may not help them, or I can pay my tax dollars to put bars between them and me. I would rather use my tax dollars on the "sure thing" because it is the security of the rest of society that is at stake.

No, I am not a compassionate person when it comes to this issue, but my proposed world is a much nicer place for those of us that behave decently towards our fellow human beings.
your not living in reality nor a realistic person, your proposed world doesnt exist we live in a reality where people get out of jail, you can spend your dollars jailing people but it just creates more advanced criminals so there is no sure except for the person to change and become a productive member of society...i agree that violent criminals should be behind bars but i also realize that most people behind bars are not in jail for violent crimes but mostly for drug dealing..so these people will get out and need an alternative to the streets...being compassionate is what being a human being is its what makes us different than animals, we care for folks whom cant care for themselves and i gurantee that should u not be able to take care of yourself your going to want some compassion from society, and if you dont then i guess you dont deserve any compassion when your down on your luck

Old 04-07-2011, 03:36 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
your not living in reality nor a realistic person, your proposed world doesnt exist we live in a reality where people get out of jail, you can spend your dollars jailing people but it just creates more advanced criminals so there is no sure except for the person to change and become a productive member of society...i agree that violent criminals should be behind bars but i also realize that most people behind bars are not in jail for violent crimes but mostly for drug dealing..so these people will get out and need an alternative to the streets...being compassionate is what being a human being is its what makes us different than animals, we care for folks whom cant care for themselves and i gurantee that should u not be able to take care of yourself your going to want some compassion from society, and if you dont then i guess you dont deserve any compassion when your down on your luck
"Being down on your luck" and being a convicted felon are not the same. For someone "down on their luck" that follows the rules of society, I have some compassion, and think there should be a safety net of some sort, so long as it isn't a free meal ticket.

I agree with you on the drug stuff. I go back and forth on issues like legalization/decriminalization. I think drugs are a lose/lose proposition for society whether they are legal or not. But, yeah, I don't lump non-violent drug offenders into the same catagory as the criminals that violate person or property.

You are right about another thing, my world isn't realistic. It used to be. People and communities used to be able to protect themselves and take care of their own problems. Screw up and get a one way ticket out of town or worse. Not any more. Big Brother is in charge now, and he is doing a lousy job of keeping communties safe. We as citizens have been disempowered to correct the problems in our own communities. We now have to beg and plead, and hope that government steps up. They haven't. My way would work better for any city where crime isn't tolerated by the citizens.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:47 AM

i agree, i think crime should not be tolerated but i think we have to find multiple solutions for the problem... jail does play a role i would not want to see sex offenders and violent criminals released after short sentences, i think this is a great move by the city and HUD after yrs of dropping the ball on madison park north, now maybe the law abiding residents of mpn will have a chance at living a better life...i hope the city uses this opportunity to connect bolton and reservoir hill together

Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM

5,733 posts, read 8,800,659 times
Murder Mall??? There is actually a MALL in there???

Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 PM

68 posts, read 233,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Murder Mall??? There is actually a MALL in there???
yep....a very small, low-rent strip mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or