Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM

805 posts, read 2,115,268 times

Advertisements

Looks like Madison Park North may not be getting shutdown. What a shame!

Quote:
Madison Park North is the garden style section 8 housing complex on the North side of North Ave between Park Ave and Linden Ave.

It is a hot bed for drug activity, crime, and numerous murders. Some call it "Murder Mall".

In August of this year, the Mayor and the city took steps to revoke the Madison Park North multi-dwelling license, which would effectively shut it down. Plans were also drawn up to provide section 8 vouchers for the current residents.

It now seems the city may be back peddling on its commitment to closing it.

There is a petition what Reservoir Hill Residents are passing around in order to voice our desire for the city to follow through and revoke the license.

Please lend your support if you are so inclined:
Petition: Close Down Murder Mall -- Madison Park North | Change.org

In addition Housing Commissioner Graziano will be addressing the neighborhood's concerns this Tuesday April 5th, at 7pm at John Eager Howard Rec Center -- 2100 Brookfield Ave. We are trying to generate a large turn out so that the message is clearly sent, we want the city to follow through.

Best regards,
Jacob Green
Reservoir Hill Resident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 03:00 PM

226 posts, read 363,843 times
yeah this housing project defintiely needs to be shut down, although the residents of madison park should be offered some alternatives

Old 03-31-2011, 03:14 PM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
This is interesting.. Does anyone know why the City reversed course?? Did they correct the violations or just promise to do better? I would hope it was not the latter. I bet they threaten to take the city to court and took photos of all the city public housing projects and stated our development is safer than yours so how can you close us down unless you shut down your own?? The other alternative is that someone was paid off to make this go away.......just sayin its suspect

Old 03-31-2011, 04:17 PM

805 posts, read 2,115,268 times
I read that someone may purchase the property and said that they would clean up the property.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
yeah this housing project defintiely needs to be shut down, although the residents of madison park should be offered some alternatives
The alternative being find a job that they can afford to rent without government assistance, assuming they are physically able to do so.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:35 AM

226 posts, read 363,843 times
yeah thats really realistic, most of the residents are poor and not able to earn a higher salary, why else would you be living in a public housing project....there are plenty of other govt subsidies that should be cut like the defense contractors...whom dont even provide a good service to the troops

Old 04-03-2011, 03:50 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,191 times
Does anyone know what was the outcome of the court case the city had engaged in against the property owner, back in late 2010? I can't seem to find any information about the outcome online.

Also, wondering why HUD has not intervened here--drove by this property today and no one should be subjected to live in those kind of conditions. It's inhumane.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
yeah thats really realistic, most of the residents are poor and not able to earn a higher salary, why else would you be living in a public housing project....there are plenty of other govt subsidies that should be cut like the defense contractors...whom dont even provide a good service to the troops
Not my problem. They had every opportunity to go to school and better themselves for whatever reason they did not. There are plenty of vacant rowhomes maybe they could rebuild them and live there.

The government has no place in the housing business. Causes more problems than it solves.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Does anyone know what was the outcome of the court case the city had engaged in against the property owner, back in late 2010? I can't seem to find any information about the outcome online.

Also, wondering why HUD has not intervened here--drove by this property today and no one should be subjected to live in those kind of conditions. It's inhumane.
Who destroyed it?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:28 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,191 times
EdwardA, my friend.

I should take you along one day, when I conduct housing research in low-income neighborhoods nationwide. You'd soon change your tune. But, you are entitled to your opinion, hence, I will end the argument here.

However, I will note, leaving things to the 'private market' often does nothing and rarely serves as a solve. Madison Park is a prime example. Project-based assistance means less federal intervention than standard public housing--the property is privately owned. HUD obviously has not intervened here. Everyone except the property owner loses: the families, the taxpayers, the community.

Furthermore, I suggest conducting a literature search on Section 8 landlords, to further understand why limited intervention (or the shift to the private market), in regard to housing policy, does little to solve the affordable housing crisis, nor, attack the cyclical nature of intergenerational poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: