U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:43 AM

1,759 posts, read 4,261,704 times

Advertisements

What I don't understand is all the complaining all the time. It's like people expect Mayor SRB to wave a magic wand and things will be all better. If you sit behind a computer doing nothing but try to convince others that Baltimore is so awful then you are just as much a problem as what we already deal with.

Plus I can't stand whining. We are adults, act like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 PM

5 posts, read 12,232 times
I think they should make some affordable housing also. Unless my assumptions are wrong the new housing and apartment complexes they are making seem really expensive.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:54 AM

5,733 posts, read 8,800,659 times
I can agree with this statement to some degree... it was put in context for me by a native Baltimorean.

Other than a few of the major companies, banks, hospital, universities etc here in the City.. the number one industry in Baltimore City is working for the City, State, (and City Schools) or doing business with the City. The people that dole and or recieve city contracts are probably some of the most well to do (not necessarily richest) people in Baltimore and most of this is dictated by who you know. Baltimore is very close knit community at the top with educators, doctors, lawyers, and their heirs controlling most of the top jobs and making key decisions and passing this influence on from one generation to another within the same familily. Like the creoles they marry with other "connected Baltimoreans" and grow the sphere of social and political influence. They pass money around via contract and jobs to their friends/family all of whom benefit from the millions of federal dollars, city and state tax dollars that pour into the City's coffers some that are based on the demographics and statics (read: poverty and crime) and use these funds as leverage and gain influence over private sector developers/interest.

You probably have about 10% of the natives (many of them polticos) controlling 100% of these funds and benefitting the most from it as they administer programs and services for vast number of people who are in need of these services. So these folks decide what happens where.. and use this influence to hob knob with developers or other power brokers whose money may come from outside the city, to do various activities/projects in the City. The outrage that my neighbor expressed centered mainly on those that attempt to come down to some of the impoverished neighborhoods and sing the song of "we are all in this together... or Im downtown fighting for you.. or we aint gonna take this anymore" then jump in their BMW and head back downtown to sit down and drink wine with the same developers or other political interest that they vilified...to discuss how they can convince the folks in the neighborhoods to allow for x or to go along with y.. and what they need to make it happen or who they can talk to make it happen...or here is what I need in order to not stand in the way of this else you gonna have to deal with me (read: play both sides of the fence).

I dont necessarily agree that it is as scripted as what my neighbor describes.. but I do believe that there is some truth in this theory.

Last edited by Woodlands; 04-08-2011 at 08:08 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 02:48 PM

226 posts, read 290,519 times
native baltimoreans will take resopnsibility when they get police protection and non corrupt politicians whom actually care about the residents...this city really needs to make a huge investment in its residents, head start programs, rec leagues, and summer job programs should all be fully funded and expanded so kids have something better to do than watch their older counterparts sell drugs or committ other crimes. habitat for humanity is another great program that should be funded but it needs to focus on youths and training...i grew up in one of the poorest neighborhoods in this city but i was able to survive and make something of myself because of the programs described above, unfortunately most of these programs are underfunded or have ended already...

Old 04-08-2011, 02:51 PM

226 posts, read 290,519 times
woodlands is absolutely right however i would like to note that this is how it works in america everywhere

Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 PM

159 posts, read 202,713 times
lol

Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,108,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
native baltimoreans will take resopnsibility when they get police protection and non corrupt politicians whom actually care about the residents...this city really needs to make a huge investment in its residents, head start programs, rec leagues, and summer job programs should all be fully funded and expanded so kids have something better to do than watch their older counterparts sell drugs or committ other crimes. habitat for humanity is another great program that should be funded but it needs to focus on youths and training...i grew up in one of the poorest neighborhoods in this city but i was able to survive and make something of myself because of the programs described above, unfortunately most of these programs are underfunded or have ended already...
BEST post SO FAR!!! Also they need to cut down on the DRUGS!!!!! I love using public transit BUT WOULD NOT RECOMMENT BOTHERING WITH BALTIMORE BUSES OR TRAINS!!!!! There is a high probability that a drugged up ******* will smell up the entire bus!!!!!!! AN ARTICULATED BUS!!!!!! SMELLED LIKE SMOKE CAUSE THIS ONE GUY SMOKED SO MUCH HIS BO KNOCKED ME OUT!!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 13,109 times
Default Being responsible for Baltimore City

I lived 60 out of my 67 years in Baltimore City. I felt during those years that I gave (AND GAVE) to the city but it didn't change one iota. I now live in Baltimore County and I'm lovin' it!! I feel I'm now in a cleaner, safer environment and will never consider moving back to the city. Let the next generation give it a shot and see how successful they are at making Charm City a great place to live! NOT!

Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 AM

5,733 posts, read 8,800,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
woodlands is absolutely right however i would like to note that this is how it works in america everywhere

This is true...The difference between other places and what I noticed in Baltimore is.. In other places politicos and other power brokers take their cream off the top..in which people dont care or notice because the cup is already full. In Baltimore people prevent the cup from even getting filled until they get theirs.. which holds the entire city back. A rising tide can lift all boats but those that control the locks to prevent the dam from openning (until they get theirs).. should be Damned

Old 04-11-2011, 02:05 PM

37 posts, read 66,819 times
I don't like my city anymore!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or