Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,951 times

Advertisements

Dont want to live in a rough area but want to live close to the airport where I'll be working.. Where would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:18 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Most of the area around BWI is pretty nice suburban territory.

Linthicum/Ferndale/Elkridge/Severn/Harmans

I'm very familiar with that area.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 AM

92 posts, read 173,427 times
How close is close enough to the airport? There are plenty of good, safe places that are within 20 minutes or less of the airport. Check out places in Anne Arundel County such as Severna Park, Pasadena or Millersville...you could also be happy living in somewhere like Glen Burnie, Severn or Hanover...it all depends on your criteria and how rough is too rough. You could also look into Howard County or even South Baltimore (City) in places such as Federal Hill which are very nice...you could probably get to BWI from Federal Hill in 10 minutes if you don't run into too much traffic

Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
It's country as hell out near the airport!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Most of the area around BWI is pretty nice suburban territory.

Linthicum/Ferndale/Elkridge/Severn/Harmans

I'm very familiar with that area.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:04 AM

"Severna Park, Pasadena or Millersville."

*I call this area redneckville!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamPilot View Post
How close is close enough to the airport? There are plenty of good, safe places that are within 20 minutes or less of the airport. Check out places in Anne Arundel County such as Severna Park, Pasadena or Millersville...you could also be happy living in somewhere like Glen Burnie, Severn or Hanover...it all depends on your criteria and how rough is too rough. You could also look into Howard County or even South Baltimore (City) in places such as Federal Hill which are very nice...you could probably get to BWI from Federal Hill in 10 minutes if you don't run into too much traffic

Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post

It certainly used to be. Several farms, as well as the community of Friendship, were purchased to make up the property for Friendship Airport.

But it's just suburban Northern Anne Arundel County now, with a little bit of the ruralness still on the Elkridge side, but disappearing fast.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 AM

92 posts, read 173,427 times
Quote:
Quote:
"Severna Park, Pasadena or Millersville."

*I call this area redneckville!!
Can you just stop? I'd say 5, MAYBE 10% of Severna Park's population could be classified as "redneck." There are people here who are actually trying to obtain and give actual information, not immature and misleading crap.

Justaman03, the area surrounding BWI is not "country" at all, it's a dense suburban area with a lot of people, traffic, and everything else you'd expect just outside of a major American city. Sure, there are some blue collar and/or "redneck" people but you won't find a lot of those types in Severna Park

Old 08-07-2013, 08:32 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
Severna Park is about as 'redneck' as Beverly Hills. Probably the largest town in Maryland with the smallest presence of a lower or middle class. Nice, pretty friendly place, but all about families down there.

If you are young and looking to be around other young people, I certainly recommend the Federal Hill/Locust Point area. If you are looking for something quiet and suburbish I would certainly suggest Severna Park, Arnold, Linthicum, Ellicott City, Columbia, Catonsville.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 AM

When I speak of rednecks, I'm talking about the blacknecks out there as well. You are being way too kind with your percentages. I used to live out there in Pasadena for a while. There area is not unknown to me.

Quote:
Can you just stop? I'd say 5, MAYBE 10% of Severna Park's population could be classified as "redneck." There are people here who are actually trying to obtain and give actual information, not immature and misleading crap.

Justaman03, the area surrounding BWI is not "country" at all, it's a dense suburban area with a lot of people, traffic, and everything else you'd expect just outside of a major American city. Sure, there are some blue collar and/or "redneck" people but you won't find a lot of those types in Severna Park

Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM

So, discussing an area's social and cultural makeup is seen "immature" and "misleading" to you?! Actual information entails much more than housing and crime statistics. How about the people? Their ideas, ideologies, poilitics, world views and so forth? Would you want to be surrounded by families of racists, pedophiles, gangsters, perverts and etc.??!

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore