Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM

18 posts, read 79,676 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Baltimore for work and want to start looking into possible areas to live.

My work will be downtown in the Harbor area. I would like to not have more than a 45-50 minute commute to work (with traffic).

We prefer the Northern suburbs of Baltimore as we have family/friends in Philly so being north would make it easier to go back and forth. Plus I would suspect the northern suburbs are cheaper than those in the south which get the DC cost impact.

We have small kids all under 13, so good public schools with smaller classroom sizes would also be important.

We prefer the suburb life with parks, golf courses, etc. Hoping to find an area with larger homes (5 bedrooms, 1/2 to 1 acre of property).

Any suggestions on where to look?

Many thanks in advance for your insights!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 04:39 AM

418 posts, read 809,394 times
Check out Cockeysville: safe area, good schools, golf courses ( not sure if they're private or not), not too far from i95, around nice area.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:42 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,212 times
Timonium, Lutherville, Hunt Valley.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:57 AM

201 posts, read 589,953 times
North Bmore burybs are not cheaper than South burbs. More expensive on average. White Marsh might work for you.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,642 times
We will be relocating to Baltimore for work and want to start looking into possible areas to live.

My work will be downtown in the Harbor area. I would like to not have more than a 45-50 minute commute to work (with traffic).

your commute depends on which northern burb you choose, what time you leave your house and if you need to get on 83 to get downtown, which you will.

We prefer the Northern suburbs of Baltimore as we have family/friends in Philly so being north would make it easier to go back and forth. Plus I would suspect the northern suburbs are cheaper than those in the south which get the DC cost impact.

nothern burbs are way more expensive than southern burbs. you won't find anything cheap, relatively speaking, in the northern burbs. schools are better, lots are larger, crime is lower.

We have small kids all under 13, so good public schools with smaller classroom sizes would also be important.

you will definitely get that in the northern burbs.

We prefer the suburb life with parks, golf courses, etc. Hoping to find an area with larger homes (5 bedrooms, 1/2 to 1 acre of property).

sparks, hereford, phoenix, cockeysville, timmonium, lutherville are all great choices.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Many thanks in advance for your insights!!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 AM

18 posts, read 79,676 times
Thanks for all the replies so far.

To answer a question -- I am usually an early person, so I would probably be on the road to work around 6:30 or 6:45am. My guess is any of the suburbs mentioned already will be good for a relatively short commute.

I assume like everywhere else, the end of the day is a crapshoot.

I think we would be willing to pay more for good quality public schools with smaller class sizes.

So thanks again and I appreciate any further responses I get.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Re: Northern burbs vs. Southern burbs...it depends which ones you're referring to. I think prices in Timonium/Cockeysville are fairly similar to those in Columbia/Ellicott City. Although if you want 5 bedrooms and an acre of land I'm assuming budget isn't exactly the biggest concern. But it is definitely easier to get to Philly from the northern side since you don't have to go through a tunnel or all the way around 695.

That said, if you go further north along 83 (like Cockeysville, Sparks, etc.), in order to get to 95 North you'd basically have to first go south on 83 to 695 East. So personally if I were you I might not want to go much further north than Lutherville/Timonium, which is closer to 695 (and obviously a little further south for your commute). White Marsh could be an option but since you're working around the harbor it may be easiest to live off of 83 since it dumps you right there.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM

12 posts, read 42,619 times
I grew up in Lutherville and I would say that's a great area to raise a family. Very safe and good schools in the area. Timonium and Cockeysville are good bets as well.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 PM

418 posts, read 809,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSF1986 View Post
I grew up in Lutherville and I would say that's a great area to raise a family. Very safe and good schools in the area. Timonium and Cockeysville are good bets as well.
i always considered lutherville-timonium, and cockeysville the same area.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:54 PM

342 posts, read 912,526 times
The northern suburbs of baltimore are outrageously expensive but in my opinion are some of the best places to live in maryland!!! Top 5 list
all of these are within 30 minutes of downtown
1.owings mills/stevenson (very prestigious area, where most of the ravens live)
2. Pikesville(small twon feel big city amenities,very wealthy area)
3. Towson( a thriving little city)
4. Timonium (its okay)
5. Huntvalley (extremely quiet, rural, safe)

cockeysville will be the hood in the next ten years don't live there (sorry if i offended anyone but go to your local grocery store and check it out) and thats no racism intended, its not about the color of the people, its about the quality of the people, and i'm black by the way!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore