Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 AM

388 posts, read 849,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I noticed he is on a lot of the forums. I would venture to guess that he's definitely never lived here, and has probably never been here.

Baltimore was just voted the #1 city for college grads, and the 5th best major city to find a job. The young professional population of Baltimore has grown 130% over the last 5 years.

Stick to California, you are clearly just a troll when talking about Baltimore, you bring nothing to the conversation but wrong assumptions! You were proven wrong on your crime assumption, then made it seem okay by saying that crime is going down in a lot of places, just admit, you are wrong!
In teresting how you notice I am on a lot of the forums, but I would venture to guess you don't check profiles to get backroud data on people.

Dont everyone get all upset because Baltimore is not the bustling city those that have lived there for decades want it to be and are ignorant to the changes over the years that have run it down.

I would like to know what publications you got all of that information from.

So you are also saying that I am wrong in the fact that crime has gone down nationwide? That other "violent" cities have also lost their crime?

According to City-data both St Louis and Detroits crime index has gone down 20% from 2000-2009, and DCs is down 25%. You can't compare the current crime rate to what it was at 10 years ago and say Baltimore has gotten better when it is a nationwide trend. You have to compare Baltimore to other cities it size to create a comparison. Doesnt matter how much is actually being done behind the scenes, like atari said, its all about perception. Nothing looks like its being done, so please tell me what initiatives there are to clean up the city besides new gun laws every year that we all know are helping immensly...

Having a million dollar condo in Fells Point is not Baltimore living, and I think thats where the issues come in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Do you even listen? Instead of admitting you are wrong, you dismiss it by saying that Baltimore's crime dropping statistics are meaningless because they are hapening else where too.

Top City for College grads, Kiplinger/Yahoo
10 Great Cities for New College Grads - Yahoo! Real Estate

11th best city for Job Growth, Biz Journals
Baltimore ranked 11th for job gain in 2010 - Baltimore Business Journal

Ranked 5th for finding a job, Career Cast
Baltimore ranks No. 5 for finding a job - Baltimore Business Journal

Ranked 3rd for Jobs, Monster
http://career-advice.monster.com/job...1/article.aspx

5th best Major City Job Market of the Century, 22nd of any town in USA, Biz Journal
Baltimore job market 22nd best this century - Baltimore Business Journal

Only 4 cities have seen a bigger increase in young college grads, CEO's for Cities
http://www.examiner.com/community-in...baltimore-home

What else do you got? I guess people should just listen to the observers from California, as opposed to the people who actually live here, work here, and know whaty they are talking about.

Last edited by KLynch10; 07-29-2011 at 12:40 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Good references, and am glad recent college graduates are enjoying Baltimore, but I am still struggling to see what "assumptions" I made about crime in Baltimore were wrong, and how that "assumption" was proven wrong.

I cannot comprehend how a right-minded individual can basically say crime in Baltimore isn't that bad. Even your first reference lists crime as the con to Baltimore. According to the uniform crime reports from the FBI, Baltimore has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country. You don't even need to look at that report to know that. There's murders on the news every night. Sometimes I think they don't even show them all cause there's too many. I really need to know your train of thought on this crime thing because that perplexes me beyond belief.

And again, talking so much about me not knowing anything about Baltimore, you should at least check my background, but I guess you didn't get the hint(or me telling you directly, rather) last time.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Who cares what your background is when you make comments like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
It was posted on another thread, but the issue is how distinctly seperate these two cities are even though they are, physically, so close together. Why would anyone want to live in Baltimore nowadays? Crime isnt getting any better, the jobs are all going to DC, all Baltimore has left is a beautiful historic downtown and major universities. The suburbs are great, but living in the city would be unthinkable to me. Not much longer and I feel its going to turn into the next Detroit. At least is seems like they are trying to turn Detroit around though.
"Crime isn't getting any better": Proven Wrong

"the jobs are all going to DC": While DC has a nice job market, it's apparent Baltimore's is very good too

"all Baltimore has left is a beautiful historic downtown and major universities": I guess the best hospital in the country, one of the top 5 job markets, a huge finance industry, lots of things to do. Good Timing, here is a article on how many millions of people enjoy our attractions every year.
http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...more-area.html

"Not much longer and I feel its going to turn into the next Detroit. At least is seems like they are trying to turn Detroit around though" : This Just doesn't deserve a response, people from Detroit would laugh at this.

One of the worst posts I've ever seen, and should let everyone on here know that anything you say about Baltimore is a guess, and you should be giving no opinions on what the city is really like. Clearly you're not a fan of Baltimore, that's fine, but let's not come on here and just hate, when your statements have no merit.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Good references, and am glad recent college graduates are enjoying Baltimore, but I am still struggling to see what "assumptions" I made about crime in Baltimore were wrong, and how that "assumption" was proven wrong.

I cannot comprehend how a right-minded individual can basically say crime in Baltimore isn't that bad. Even your first reference lists crime as the con to Baltimore. According to the uniform crime reports from the FBI, Baltimore has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country. You don't even need to look at that report to know that. There's murders on the news every night. Sometimes I think they don't even show them all cause there's too many. I really need to know your train of thought on this crime thing because that perplexes me beyond belief.

Since now you are trying to tell us that you never said crime wasn't improving, but are saying that people are telling you that is is not that bad.

This is what you need to understand. Does Baltimore have bad areas, of course, what City doesn't. There plenty of nice areas and neighborhoods in this City, just like every other that are not affected by all the crime going which is highly concentrated in parts of East and West Baltimore.

I don't live my life worrying about what is going on in West Baltimore, just like people in Chicago don't live their life worrying about the South Side, People in DC don't worry about what's going on in SE and parts of PG, and people in Annapolis don't worry about what is going on in Clay St and Robinwood.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Obviously you care very much about my background, since you've brought it up every post to me.

Crime is getting better, but it is across the board, crime isn't getting better faster than it is anywhere else in the country, so you can use crime getting better in Baltimore as a positive indicator as much as you can in the worst city in America, since the crime is getting better there too. That's all I'm saying about the crime and how you are trying to use it as a positive trait of Baltimore. It just has no merit in the discussion of how Baltimore is doing, and when you tell me that the crime in Baltimore being lower is indicative of the rise of Baltimore, even though it is still in the tops of crime rates in the country, I get the feeling you are trying to downplay the crime in the city.

DC doesn't just have a nice job market, but according to your three resources, it has the top job market, so the jobs are going to DC well before they go to Baltimore.

I wasn't being sarcastic about the colleges and downtown, I love downtown, it's so historic and beautiful and one of the true crime-free areas of the city. I definantely added to those tourism numbers more than once.

Who is to say that you have any merit speaking on Baltimore? Who knows if anyone has merit speaking on anything on a forum open to anyone in the world? I know my opinions on Baltimore might upset some people(as most opinions on anything would upset someone), but I can't apologize for how I feel a city is going a certain way.

I love Baltimore, always have, it's home to me, but it just pisses me off when you see your home going the wrong way down a one way street and nothing is being done about it. I'm done with my one on one convo with you in a public forum, that's not the point of this site or this thread. I've made my opinions on Baltimore and the facts on it's crime known, and anytime someone else asks for an opinion I'll offer it up on that thread, and its up to anyone who wants to read it to make their own inferences from it. Good luck living in Baltimore and I'm sure I'll run into you on here again.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:25 AM

90 posts, read 246,708 times
I'm confused. Why would people want to LEAVE Baltimore? Oh yeah now I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore