U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:19 PM

226 posts, read 291,190 times

Advertisements

i would not say we have gotten too much better within the last 5 yrs but within the last 10-15 there have been drastic changes

Old 04-18-2011, 02:44 PM

12 posts, read 36,640 times
I don't think it has gotten worse in the city, statistically it has gotten better. Obviously, there are some awful areas of the city that really haven't improved and you enter them at your own risk. Baltimore might never be where we want it but I do think it has gotten better.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM

144 posts, read 323,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
The murder rate is about the same as last year. The population HAS decreased (about 30,000+-). A Lot of development has NOT occurred. Other than that, you're right.
The title of this thread was "Has Baltimore Gotten Worse Over The Past 5 Years?" Not one year (going on three and a half months of data.) Not ten years (nice double standard btw.) Other than that, you're correct.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM

6,615 posts, read 11,674,281 times
It has in both respects. In terms of crime, I'd say while the city has decreased in crime, a lot of crime has been pushed into the suburbs which has spread out the crime through more of the metropolitan area, to me this is a bad thing compared with all the crime concentrated inside the city! You know, people work hard to be able to move to the suburbs and live in a safe neighborhood and enjoy a small town kind of life.

The redevelopment of parts of downtown I also think is negative as a lot of the transplants are not from this area and don't really care about their communities, a lot are from out of state and up north. Culturally they are different and have a more stuck up, yuppie, attitude that is different from native Baltimoreans.

Lastly, most visibly, there has been a large influx of illegal immigrants into the city especially around Highlandtown and Greektown, and no, these new illegals in Greektown are not from Greece! Expect to see more of this as our king, His Majesty Martin O'Malley, under the asupices of King-Chief Obama, gives in state tuition to illegals and attracts more of them here!!!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 AM

6,615 posts, read 11,674,281 times
And compared to the good ol days of 30 or 40 years ago, this area has REALLY decliend in terms of the massive lost of good high paying blue collar jobs in the factories. There was also much less crime, drugs, violence, murders, gangs, and illegal immigration back then. Back when kids could walk the streets safely and women can walk alone and not fear being raped or mugged. But thats all over America though, the good ol days were much better EVERYWHERE. Actually I think every single place in America has gotten worse in the past 5 years, which was worse than the past 20 years.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 AM

4,180 posts, read 12,788,045 times
Tom-five years ago is not that long ago. Those good old days you are referring to are from 50 years ago!

Let's stop the bashing of our new immigrants. I'm sure if they were Greeks you would be happier? Many of the new Hispanic immigrants have been sponsored and many have moved here from other parts of the states.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM

5,754 posts, read 8,841,396 times
I did read where the latino population in Baltimore has increased.. though not to the levels of say a Montgomery County. Many have created businesses in these same neighborhoods that add to the City's cultural variety.. not to mention patronizing stores in these same neighborhoods for services. I dont know if anyone knows how many or whom are or are not here legally....On an up side..even someone who is here illegal pays taxes....at a minimum sales tax for what its worth

Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM

775 posts, read 1,502,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
It has in both respects. In terms of crime, I'd say while the city has decreased in crime, a lot of crime has been pushed into the suburbs which has spread out the crime through more of the metropolitan area, to me this is a bad thing compared with all the crime concentrated inside the city! You know, people work hard to be able to move to the suburbs and live in a safe neighborhood and enjoy a small town kind of life.

The redevelopment of parts of downtown I also think is negative as a lot of the transplants are not from this area and don't really care about their communities, a lot are from out of state and up north. Culturally they are different and have a more stuck up, yuppie, attitude that is different from native Baltimoreans.

Lastly, most visibly, there has been a large influx of illegal immigrants into the city especially around Highlandtown and Greektown, and no, these new illegals in Greektown are not from Greece! Expect to see more of this as our king, His Majesty Martin O'Malley, under the asupices of King-Chief Obama, gives in state tuition to illegals and attracts more of them here!!!!!
I live in an area of increased immigrant population. I'm wondering how you can tell they are illegal immigrants?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 PM

226 posts, read 291,190 times
not to mention most hispanic immigrants are direct descendants of the native americans whom really have first right to american soil

Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 PM

4,569 posts, read 7,652,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
not to mention most hispanic immigrants are direct descendants of the native americans whom really have first right to american soil
??? Genetic evidence shows multiples waves of colonization of the Americas by different groups at different times. When these groups met, some fratanized, some exterminated. With no written record, the details are lost. Not really any different than what happened when the Europeans arrived, some Indians jumped right on board and married in, some fought and died, some fought and survived.

We can't go back tens of thousands of years and "mark" the first guys and gals that crossed the land bridge or paddled over in their canoe as those with "first right" to American soil. The settlement pattern was more complicated than that. It is just as likely today's Hispanics are a later group that committed some ancient genocide on the those with "first right" than it is that they are direct decendants of the those with "first right."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or