U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,630 times

Advertisements

I'm a 26 year-old professional single white female. I've lived in Pigtown for a year. I've personally had no problems. I know all my closest neighbors, which is a big help. Call the cops & 311 whenever you see something, and you'll be part of the solution. This is common sense. Also joining the community groups is a great way to meet other people who are responsible and motivated. Maybe go to a couple meetings before you move to see what you think. Your chances of something happening to you aren't that different than if you lived in Fed Hill (unless you're dealing and in bed with all the wrong peoople), but you won't have to give up as much money. If you're a proactive person who will be here 5 years to see the fruit of your efforts, you're smart to buy here and you'll have a great time getting to know the community.

I bought my house for 120. Completely rehabbed, a basement anyone can stand up straight in, and a roof deck. For the same price in Fed Hill, I was looking at a house that needed a lot of updating, had a dirt basement, and the whole place smelled of cat urine. Oh yeah, and I probably would have had to park 8 blocks away. In Pigtown, I've never had to park anywhere but on my street, in the same block. Consider that when you think how safe you'll be walking home alone at night in Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 02:30 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,420,150 times
Good to hear! Have you heard any updates on Bar/Restaurants going in on the Main Street/Wash Blvd area? I know they've been trying to get one next to the bakery for years, and I saw the first building on the left when turning on to Wash from MLK says Restaurant coming and also says Construction in progress, yet there doesn't seem to be anything in progress.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 PM

775 posts, read 1,499,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBrad View Post
I'm a 26 year-old professional single white female. I've lived in Pigtown for a year. I've personally had no problems. I know all my closest neighbors, which is a big help. Call the cops & 311 whenever you see something, and you'll be part of the solution. This is common sense. Also joining the community groups is a great way to meet other people who are responsible and motivated. Maybe go to a couple meetings before you move to see what you think. Your chances of something happening to you aren't that different than if you lived in Fed Hill (unless you're dealing and in bed with all the wrong peoople), but you won't have to give up as much money. If you're a proactive person who will be here 5 years to see the fruit of your efforts, you're smart to buy here and you'll have a great time getting to know the community.

I bought my house for 120. Completely rehabbed, a basement anyone can stand up straight in, and a roof deck. For the same price in Fed Hill, I was looking at a house that needed a lot of updating, had a dirt basement, and the whole place smelled of cat urine. Oh yeah, and I probably would have had to park 8 blocks away. In Pigtown, I've never had to park anywhere but on my street, in the same block. Consider that when you think how safe you'll be walking home alone at night in Baltimore.
In 5 years that house will be worth $80,000.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:18 PM

206 posts, read 389,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
In 5 years that house will be worth $80,000.
Yes, maybe one day we can all be as under water as you! Ha ha ha!! It must suck to be you, forced to live where you don't want to!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:31 AM

11 posts, read 18,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBrad View Post
Oh yeah, and I probably would have had to park 8 blocks away. In Pigtown, I've never had to park anywhere but on my street, in the same block. Consider that when you think how safe you'll be walking home alone at night in Baltimore.
She is right. I am a 29 year old black male, but Pigtown is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city. There are a lot of naysayers on here but I bet most of them are from the county, and their opinion is always with a negative slant. I know all of my neighbors, every one looks out for each other, and we are a neighborhood who will not hesitate to call the police if something illegal is going on.

I see plenty of white women by themselves walking their dogs around here in the evenings. As the previous poster mentioned you will always be parking near your house. I have never had any issues with that as long as I had my permit.

Now as I said it is diverse, and there are some poor people there along with the professionals. My rule is to treat everyone with respect, and you will find they do the same for you. And also just be smart, as you can run into problems in any part of the city. Pigtown is in a transitional phase right now and there are a lot of people trying to do great things for the neighborhood. I would say come out and visit and see what you think for yourself.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:32 AM

I also forgot to add this for everyone to read.

The Real Estate Wonk: Neighborhood love: Pigtown - Baltimore homes, apartments, real estate: Buying, selling, renting and housing news from reporter Jamie Smith Hopkins - baltimoresun.com

Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Good post. I have some friends with houses there in the exact same situation.

I would suggest looking at the City Paper Murder Inc Crime stats. Most of the murders in Downtown Baltimore are near Pigtown, just something to think about.

There is a reason there are blue lights there.

Good luck.
Yeah there is one blue light actually on Carroll and Cross Streets. And most of the murders are not near Pigtown. This is a load of crap.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 PM

6 posts, read 14,549 times
Pigtown doesn't even have a Super Market cause they all closed down due to lack of support n theft issues. The businesses close down before dark for safety reasons. The only retaurant that has survived is Burger King n they are close to leaving. Looking for a nice area - go to south baltimore. U will see people walking thru s/baltimre at night without a worry in the world. Very very little crime there. can't think of a murder there in the last 5/7 years. Police protection is very good there. Lets keep it real its 95% white which is why its so safe. Just like pigtown was when it was mostly white years ago. Hate to say that but everyone knows its true. Look what public housing has done to Pigtown n southwest baltimore. Lets be honest now. Its not a racial statement but facts.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,681 times
Most of the arguments against pigtown can be applied to the nicest areas of Baltimore. There are murders and blue lights in fells point and I'm fairly certain that the poorest public hosing project is just a block or two north of fells point on broadway. Another one of the largest public housing projects in downtown Baltimore happens Sharp-leadenhall in federal bill, not Pigtown. There is very little if any "riff raf" in the main area of Pigtown, and by that I basically mean anywhere north/east of Cross St.
on Washington blvd. Pigtown is as safe as any neighborhood in Baltimore if you don't do drugs and are a sensible person. I've lived here for several years and have seen nothing but improvement throughout in every way. Very few neighborhoods are growing in these economic times, but Pigtown is quite rapidly aside from any federal or local government stimulus.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:04 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,090,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigtownresident1 View Post
Most of the arguments against pigtown can be applied to the nicest areas of Baltimore. There are murders and blue lights in fells point and I'm fairly certain that the poorest public hosing project is just a block or two north of fells point on broadway. Another one of the largest public housing projects in downtown Baltimore happens Sharp-leadenhall in federal bill, not Pigtown. There is very little if any "riff raf" in the main area of Pigtown, and by that I basically mean anywhere north/east of Cross St.
on Washington blvd. Pigtown is as safe as any neighborhood in Baltimore if you don't do drugs and are a sensible person. I've lived here for several years and have seen nothing but improvement throughout in every way. Very few neighborhoods are growing in these economic times, but Pigtown is quite rapidly aside from any federal or local government stimulus.

I saw on another thread that you like to bash Fed Hill. Please note that the SoBo peninsula has 2 large grocery stores, a renovated Shoppers and Harris Teeter (not a full mile from each other, very close). Keep in mind too that Sharp Leadenhall is one of the most peaceful public housing projects in the city - I can't commet to as exactly why, but I'm betting that the prime location next to the stadiums keeps SL pretty quiet. I've been thru there several times over the years (football and baseball seasons) and never had any problem. For dreaded neighboring public housing project, it sure is devoid of problems affecting public safety. In fact, due to proximity to nice areas and city interests, it would be a criminal's worst idea to prey there - security and traffic is too good to permit predation.

Love Pigtown - that's great. But don't throw stones at other neighborhoods unless you really know what you are throwing them at.

BTW - the stimulus funds all went into improvements for the ill fated Grand Prix; due to its impact on residents and dearth of revenue for the city, I cal it a lose/lose; not a nickel of that stimulus money was felt here, in fact the opposite for making work and school harder for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore