U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 PM

274 posts, read 563,138 times

Advertisements

Sidney Ave? IS this ghetto area? I heard it was being developed. Cheap homes. must be ghetto. advice??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 12:52 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,157,366 times
Westport has some potential for the future due to its location and proximity to the water, for now however, your guess about the current situation of the area is accurate.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Damn. So a SWF such as myself looking at homes to buy should probably stay away for now huh?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:04 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,070,768 times
There's been a lot of specualting in that area. I've done a few volunteer neighborhood cleanup days in the area. People who can afford it are buying and sitting on houses. Construction on the new development is supposed to begin this summer.

I had some acquaintances who lived on Sidney Ave. Artist, urban pioneer types. Used to have concerts in their house. I don't think they're still there (the band broke up). The one time I went, there didn't seem to be too many other early gentrifiers. It wasn't a war zone, either. But my guess is you might be a little uncomfortable.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:30 PM

24 posts, read 92,387 times
Its a little uncomfortable, and IM NOT a SWF. I just did a contract on a house ther actually. There are some professional types moving in like myself. Especially DC-Centric people, who have easy access to 295 (its a hop skip and a jump), cheap housing, and not to mention a serious INVESTMENT. They've already started work on the waterfront, not to mention beginning with the Cirque Du Soleil. It depends on what you're trying to do. Invest in something that will most likely appreciate? - Sure. Are the people nice? - Well, once people shed their prejudices and get off of their high-horses as if theyre so much better, then you'll find that YES THEY ARE. (even the bad-ass kids who dont want to go to school and hang out on the stoop all day).

Old 04-15-2011, 03:01 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,157,366 times
Only you can decide for yourself. Its an investment with risk. There are many areas in Baltimore that are still pretty crappy and are touted as "up and coming." As for which (if any) of them ever pan out to actually live up to the hype, who knows? As a SWF looking for a place to live, personally I'd steer clear. Actually as anyone (of reasonable means) looking for a place to live, personally I'd steer clear. There are worse places you could live in Baltimore, but that's not really saying much as there are some pretty horrible areas of Baltimore.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Default Hmmm....more advice needed.

Well I'm very interested in whether or not this "Westport Waterfront" development is actually going to happen...you know, like so many things are planned, but sometimes they never happen. Is this really being built? When is it being built? Has building started? I checked out the whole area on a baltimore crime map and there was nothing really to speak of in this particular area...so that's good...and I would say that I'm a brave soul and have a saavy way about me so I'd make the best of the situation...a house for 100K sounds good to me in an area that's promised to be transformed. I do need more advice though. I don't want to move to crackhead central no matter how pretty the place will be in 2 or 3 years...Would I be the only single gal living there? ADVICE!!! I just like the price of homes there and the taxes seem lower at first glance...........ugh...so many decisions.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 PM

144 posts, read 329,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Well I'm very interested in whether or not this "Westport Waterfront" development is actually going to happen...you know, like so many things are planned, but sometimes they never happen. Is this really being built? When is it being built? Has building started? I checked out the whole area on a baltimore crime map and there was nothing really to speak of in this particular area...so that's good...and I would say that I'm a brave soul and have a saavy way about me so I'd make the best of the situation...a house for 100K sounds good to me in an area that's promised to be transformed. I do need more advice though. I don't want to move to crackhead central no matter how pretty the place will be in 2 or 3 years...Would I be the only single gal living there? ADVICE!!! I just like the price of homes there and the taxes seem lower at first glance...........ugh...so many decisions.
Have you tried going to the area at various days of the week/ times and feeling it out? I'm pretty sure that there's a light rail stop there, I don't know how the shopping is.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:30 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,070,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilinglamp View Post
Have you tried going to the area at various days of the week/ times and feeling it out? I'm pretty sure that there's a light rail stop there, I don't know how the shopping is.
The only businesses are a handful of carry outs and liquor stores. There is a light rail stop.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:34 PM

144 posts, read 329,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Edge City | Development | Urbanite Baltimore Magazine

That's a good article on Westport. I'm not at all familiar with the area, but because waterfront property is desirable I would imagine the property values are going to go up (just a question of when.) Especially since Maryland's population will grow, and that corner of the city is most convenient to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or