U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 PM

226 posts, read 291,222 times

Advertisements

i think if the city lowers the property tax rates this will encourage more homeowners to purchase in the city this will have two impacts, one being the increased population and number of households paying property taxes, the second being homeowners are usually more proactive than renters when it comes to crime in the neighborhood as well as trash cleanup, so the city should focus on strengthining neighborhoods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,763,329 times
Great. So I guess as long as there is violence, we can just keep throwing the trash in the streets? This is what you're saying?

Yep. That's the sort of the thinking that's going to bring new money to town.

Only trash wants to live in a cesspool. If we want new residents, we've got to at least act like Baltimore isn't a third world country where only the most serious offenses get attention.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Great. So I guess as long as there is violence, we can just keep throwing the trash in the streets? This is what you're saying?

Yep. That's the sort of the thinking that's going to bring new money to town.

Only trash wants to live in a cesspool. If we want new residents, we've got to at least act like Baltimore isn't a third world country where only the most serious offenses get attention.
my last post addresses the trash, but i do think trash is a problem in the city but we have major problems that demand the full attention of the police but unfortunately the police cannot give violent crime its full attention...

Old 04-26-2011, 01:08 PM

158 posts, read 328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I'd like to start ticketing drivers who don't wait for pedestrians in the crosswalk.

Really, I'd like to start ticketing drivers, period. Our boys in blue seem completely disinterested in enforcing traffic violations.
I wish we could ticket people that don't cross in crosswalks, and don't cross with the light... I am convinced I'm going to hit someone one day - - I've really only experienced it in Baltimore - - people routinely just walk right out into traffic, expecting drivers to slam on the brakes, risking getting rear-ended. I understand that pedestrians have the right of way; but they also have the responsibility to be safe. It's like a video game driving in Baltimore - people running red lights, people walking out in the street with no concern for oncoming traffic, etc.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:16 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,763,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0622 View Post
I wish we could ticket people that don't cross in crosswalks, and don't cross with the light... I am convinced I'm going to hit someone one day - - people walking out in the street with no concern for oncoming traffic, etc.
I agree fully.

Ticket jaywalkers. Ticket those who break traffic rules. If there's not enough manpower, get more cameras. It's a madhouse out there.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:59 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,592,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
The bad thing about having your primary residence in the county while you still own property in the city is that you lose the Homestead Property Tax Credit on your city property when it is no longer your primary residence. My annual tax bill increased by nearly 400%. It would have increased by 500%, but I appealed the assessed value.

Are there any mayoral candidates from "The Property Taxes are Too Damn High" party?
although i have no vote in the matter, i have been following the young candidate otis rolley. he seems to be smart and has his pulse on the urban planning side of things. i believe he mentioned something about lowering property taxes as well and investing in communities outside of the inner harbor for once.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:10 PM

251 posts, read 608,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
although i have no vote in the matter, i have been following the young candidate otis rolley. he seems to be smart and has his pulse on the urban planning side of things. i believe he mentioned something about lowering property taxes as well and investing in communities outside of the inner harbor for once.
Rolley isn't the only potential candidate talking about lowering property taxes. I like him partly because of his ideas on public transportation, but mainly because people like Rawlings-Blake and Young seem to hate his guts. That's an automatic plus in my book.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by End-User View Post
Rolley isn't the only potential candidate talking about lowering property taxes. I like him partly because of his ideas on public transportation, but mainly because people like Rawlings-Blake and Young seem to hate his guts. That's an automatic plus in my book.
i doubt i will vote for rolley based on his interest in privatizing public services like water for example...the history of privatization in this country is full of failures by the private sector, not to say the city is much better, but i definitely wouldnt trust a corporation with the water supply

Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,592,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
i doubt i will vote for rolley based on his interest in privatizing public services like water for example...the history of privatization in this country is full of failures by the private sector, not to say the city is much better, but i definitely wouldnt trust a corporation with the water supply
i think privatization of public services will be the way to go in the future. it would definitely eliminate a lot of the waste and red tape involved and customer service will undoubtedly improve. i'd rather trust a corporation who has to answer to shareholders than a government agency that has to answer to................................................ ................

Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 AM

5,756 posts, read 8,844,109 times
Is there ever going to be a debate or something... I am interested in seeing these candidates spar over the issues and answer specific questions about how they intend "to move the city forward"... (the famous Dixon political catch phrase...she used end every question with that answer. Hey did you steal the money...."I dont think that is important.. I just want to move the city forward"))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or