U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:46 AM

501 posts, read 960,312 times

Advertisements

I hope a state Dream Act is voted on in Maryland so we can vote it DOWN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 12:04 PM

19 posts, read 44,953 times
I can easily understand people's arguments against allowing illegals to have in-state tuition but to be honest I don't see where it hurts. The people this will effect are kids graduating high school. For the most part these kids didn't choose to enter our country illegally, their parents brought them here. So why punish them by not allowing them access to affordable higher education? Why should they be punished for their parents crimes and not be allowed to expand their opportunities. Many want to become citizens anyway and already identify themselves (at least partially) as American.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 PM

805 posts, read 1,792,626 times
I think the only real answer is to make them legal but that's tricky. If the kids are legal then what about the parents if the kid is under age. Do you deport the parents, wait until the kid is an adult, or just let the parents stay? Is there a point to have immigration laws, a process to become a citizen, green cards, visas, etc? It's just tricky and that's why it's still an issue. Hard choices will have to be made and no one in power has made them.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:49 PM

19 posts, read 44,953 times
You make a good point. Unfortunately it is a very tricky situation and the immigration topic is a hot point for a reason. I think I just empathize with these kids wanting to attend school because I have a close friend who had to fight her own battle with being illegal. Her dad brought her from the Phillipines when she was really young but failed to file proper paperwork to get her legal documentation. After graduating high school she found herself in a tough spot and couldn't attend school, get a good job, or do anything most of her peers were doing. In her heart she is as American as anyone I know but unfortunately her parents screwed her over. Eventually she got the money together to hire a lawyer and file paperwork so is now here legally, but unfortunately her life was extremely difficult for years because of a mistake her parents made. It saddens me that this is a reality for so many kids in America and I would love to see this end and for them to have more opportunities to make something of themselves.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 PM

4,598 posts, read 7,681,713 times
The state doesn't have any extra money to spend. In fact they raised taxes on alcohol and mandatory pension contributions for state employees in a seemingly never ending quest to squeeze the last dime out of the working person while not addressing the fiscal disorder in their own spending priorities. Once the state has money to burn, We can consider new ways to spend money, until then, it is just more tax and spend.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 AM

7 posts, read 13,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Racism? Why is it racist for taxpayers wanting their tax dollars to benefit citizens and permanent residents exclusively?

BTW, an illegal can be of any race as can Hispanics for that matter.
They can be, but somehow it's always a bunch of white people upset that there are so many brown people in location X. Some of them must be illegal! The only right thing for us to do is to pass moron laws to promote random persecution and harassment of people who look foreign.

Everything else is just a cover story.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 PM

1,759 posts, read 4,286,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin730 View Post
You know, I read an article recently that said that illegal immigrants paid over $11 billion in taxes last year. You know how much GE paid? Zero.

This illegal immigration crisis is cooked up by those in power to distract you from who's really robbing you blind. Illegal immigration peaked in 2000 and they're contributing more to our society than many major corporations which have just been taking and taking your money.

Just wanted to put that out there.
Know how much their 316,000 employees paid in income tax?

Old 04-27-2011, 10:44 PM

57 posts, read 136,868 times
The only issue I have with this is that my info will be placed on a mailing list and sold to political movements I do not support, like the Birthers and the Tea party.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:43 AM

18,566 posts, read 15,885,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promit View Post
They can be, but somehow it's always a bunch of white people upset that there are so many brown people in location X. Some of them must be illegal! The only right thing for us to do is to pass moron laws to promote random persecution and harassment of people who look foreign.

Everything else is just a cover story.
Oh well that maybe but I'm Black.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:45 AM

5,838 posts, read 3,817,246 times
I could be for giving the children instate tuition, under the circumstances that has been passed except for one thing. There is no way to do it that will not provide more incentives for people to enter the US illegally and move to Maryland to take advantage of it. The result of having more and more illegals(parents) in Maryland, holding down labor rates for legal citizens is something I cannot support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore