U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:16 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,792,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStarSun View Post
Unlike Philly, where Puerto Ricans predominate, or DC where Salvadorans predominate, in Baltimore the hispanic community is smaller yet much more diverse, most hispanics live near patterson park in the southeast section of the city
these links will give you more info
American FactFinder - Results
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
Also a lot of Baltimore's Hispanic population is illegal. I think the surge happened after the crackdowns in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 01:01 PM

4,180 posts, read 12,773,750 times
Undoubtedly some are illegal. However, many still have been sponsored by various organizations and while speaking to quite a few people in the neighborhood, I have found that many have moved to the east coast from other parts of the states for job opportunities.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:40 AM

58 posts, read 151,134 times
Baltimore has a small diverse Hispanic population. In the DC area, most Hispanics are from Central American countries. In the rest of the Northeast, most Hispanics are from the Caribbean. This is where they 'clash for dominence'. You'll see small yet growing populations from countries like Mexico, El Salvador, Hondouras, and Guatemala, as well as countries like Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, and Colombia. Most of the hispanics are in areas like Highlandtown and Fells point.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:49 AM

7,250 posts, read 5,555,256 times
There are emerging Hispanic enclaves in the places like Dundalk, Pikesville, Owings Mills and Upper Park Heights in the city as well.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,285,015 times
Interesting discussion and comments!

No comment needed from me. Everyone's input is on point.

From my own experience, most of my Puerto Rican, Nuyorican and Boriqucan friends (lol..yes there is a difference imho) are transplants from the city and the island herself. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, and others have a long tapestry of cultural connectedness that I think Baltimore missed out on in this regard. Anyone who has been around, have friends, or married into Carribean Hispanic families can attest to this strong cultural connectedness whether they are white-skinned, dark skinned or whatever (topic for another discussion).

Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 AM

There are many Puerto Ricans living in the small cities of Aberdeen, Edgewood, MD due to its APG (Aberdeen Proving Grounds) and its military association. There are many military families from New York in that area, and may be even more now since BRAC has been implemented.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Default lol

Yup!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There are emerging Hispanic enclaves in the places like Dundalk, Pikesville, Owings Mills and Upper Park Heights in the city as well.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 AM

I would love to see Baltimore have a premier Puerto Rican restaurant!!!

Carne Guisada (Stewed Beef) ,Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas),Pasteles (Green Banana Mass with Pork Filling, similar to a Mexican Tamale),Pastelón (Sweet Plantain & Beef Lasagna),Alcapurria (Fried Green Banana and Beef Patty)...SMH!

Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,880,062 times
I agree with a previous poster who stated that it was always very odd that the Puerto Rican population essentially stopped at the PA/MD line. For example, cross over into Lancaster Co. and there is a very large, vibrant Puerto Rican population. As others have noted, our hispanic population tends to be mostly from central america. Certainly, the immigration status of many are questionable at best, but that is not the purpose of this thread.

As a result, I believe if you want to be within commuting distance of Baltimore but around others of Puerto Rican background, I'm thinking maybe York, PA would be a good bet. I have seen a fair number of puerto rican flags and decals on cars up there, and it seens as if half of York County, PA is commuting down to Baltimore anyway.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:10 PM

74 posts, read 96,897 times
My old roommate was Puerto Rican. He now lives near Patterson Park. To be honest, there are a lot of Puerto Ricans over in that SE area of Baltimore. They are just not the majority amongst the Spanish speaking population. Of course, NYC is different. There are actually more Puerto Ricans in NYC than there are in Puerto Rico. There's your fact of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or