Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:53 PM

15 posts, read 59,012 times

Advertisements

Im Puerto Rican from New York moving to Baltimore and I jus have a few questions about the hispanic community there in Baltimore.. How big is it? What's the main Hispanic nationality: Puerto Rican, Mexican, Salvadorean? How is relations between Hispanics and blacks, whites, as well as relations between Caribbean Hispanics(Puerto Ricans/Dominicans) and Central American Hispanics(Mexicans/Salvadoreans). What areas of Baltimore do Hispanics mostly live? I heard somwere that they mostly live in the southeastern part of the city, but i just wanted to know for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:46 PM

251 posts, read 718,436 times
There is a hispanic community in Baltimore? I mean I know several hispanic people in the are, but not in large enough numbers to call it a "community" in the sense that NYC and Philly have. Maybe somebody more familiar with the subject can contradict me, but as far as I know they mostly just integrate (read: vanish) into the white or black populations depending on personal interest.

Like the East Asian and South Asian groups in Baltimore, you're more likely to find a "community" in the subrubs than the city proper.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,543,236 times
There is a very large and growing Hispanic community in southeast Baltimore. Areas along Broadway, Patterson Park, Upper Fells Point, Highlandtown, Greektown, and other neighborhoods in the area have a large presence. Puerto Ricans-not so much. Most of the Hispanics are from Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Columbia, and there are quite a few Dominicans. Walk up Eastern or Broadway.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,440,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by End-User View Post
There is a hispanic community in Baltimore? I mean I know several hispanic people in the are, but not in large enough numbers to call it a "community" in the sense that NYC and Philly have. Maybe somebody more familiar with the subject can contradict me, but as far as I know they mostly just integrate (read: vanish) into the white or black populations depending on personal interest.

Like the East Asian and South Asian groups in Baltimore, you're more likely to find a "community" in the subrubs than the city proper.
Read what JonJ said, it's accurate. This isn't.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,858,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
There is a very large and growing Hispanic community in southeast Baltimore. Areas along Broadway, Patterson Park, Upper Fells Point, Highlandtown, Greektown, and other neighborhoods in the area have a large presence. Puerto Ricans-not so much. Most of the Hispanics are from Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Columbia, and there are quite a few Dominicans. Walk up Eastern or Broadway.
agreed. you can add dundalk to that list as well. as you said most of the hispanic people are from central america, specifically mexico, honduras, and el salvador. you won't find many carib hispanics in the area. there are some dominicans but they are usually isolated to the hair shops.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 PM

251 posts, read 718,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Read what JonJ said, it's accurate. This isn't.
I stand corrected. I knew the hispanic population was growing, but hadn't realized how quickly.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,331,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
agreed. you can add dundalk to that list as well. as you said most of the hispanic people are from central america, specifically mexico, honduras, and el salvador. you won't find many carib hispanics in the area. there are some dominicans but they are usually isolated to the hair shops.
I've seen some Dominicans around Lombard near Bayview but not a critical mass. I think the Hispanics are mostly Central Americans.

Very few Puerto Ricans. I never understood why Baltimore was never a destination for Puerto Ricans. It's like Wilmington was the furthest South they were willing to go back in the day.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,858,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I've seen some Dominicans around Lombard near Bayview but not a critical mass. I think the Hispanics are mostly Central Americans.

Very few Puerto Ricans. I never understood why Baltimore was never a destination for Puerto Ricans. It's like Wilmington was the furthest South they were willing to go back in the day.
it's more of a cultural thing than a race thing. my father is dominican. most carib hispanics that move to the states often identify as black culturally. you won't find many black hispanics in this area, most of the hispanics in this area identify as white or mestizo due to their central american backgrounds. new york, new jerz, philly and even wilmington all have sizeable black hispanic communities via Dominican republic and puerto rico. baltimore never had that kind of community. my father only came to maryland because of a job opportunity.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:44 PM

58 posts, read 189,172 times
Unlike Philly, where Puerto Ricans predominate, or DC where Salvadorans predominate, in Baltimore the hispanic community is smaller yet much more diverse, most hispanics live near patterson park in the southeast section of the city
these links will give you more info
American FactFinder - Results
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 11-27-2011, 08:15 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,331,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
it's more of a cultural thing than a race thing. my father is dominican. most carib hispanics that move to the states often identify as black culturally. you won't find many black hispanics in this area, most of the hispanics in this area identify as white or mestizo due to their central american backgrounds. new york, new jerz, philly and even wilmington all have sizeable black hispanic communities via Dominican republic and puerto rico. baltimore never had that kind of community. my father only came to maryland because of a job opportunity.
I've actually found the opposite to be true about Dominicans, maybe the American born generation is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore