U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:30 AM

226 posts, read 292,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Better to be safe than sorry. I'm Black and lived near Belvedere & York when I went to Morgan and I don't blame these folks one bit.
yeah well i believe its called racial discrimination...in the case of my brother they could have asked for i.d. or just called the flower company and not act racist...as far as my stroll through bolton hill i believe the law says innocent until proven guilty, i wasnt exhibiting any suspicious behavior so again thats harrassment....as a working professional i have lived in many bad parts of the city, the police will observe drug dealers on corners blatantly selling drugs but the police will stop me and ask me why im dressed professionally and why am i in this bad neighborhood....but u say better safe than sorry...yeah ok i should live like a second class citizen so that someone else will feel safe? thats ridiculous and your notion of safe and sorry is ridiculous as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 AM

4,600 posts, read 7,690,238 times
If being watched by the fuzz is "harrassment" than we are all being "harrassed" everytime a state trooper passes on the highway and glares in your car to look for seat belts, doobies, beercans, cell phones, etc. I personally would love to have foot patrol cops in the neighborhoods of my city.

As for flower delivery, that is one of the oldest criminal tricks in the book. Look official, go knock on doors, if someone answers pretend like you have the wrong address and move on, if no one answers, let yourself in and help yourself. Stuff like this happens in the nice neighborhoods all the time. Certainly your bro was legit, but why open the door if you know criminals use the same schtick to rob people? Plenty of white folks use the same criminal tactics. I wouldn't take it personally, better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited by westsideboy; 04-28-2011 at 12:10 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Drugs screw people up? People screw themselves up, period. I know people that smoked crack at 13 too, now they have respectable jobs. I know someone who detoxed on their own from severe dual opiod/benzo addiction and didn't miss a day of work. They described it as 3 months of sheer hell, but it didn't interfere with what they had to do to support themselves.

Drugs are a excuse for losers who screw up their lives and needs something to blame. Just like with everything else in life, if you are looking for something to bring you down, it isn't hard to go find it, just don't blame the horse for giving you a lift to where you told him to take you.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:24 AM

226 posts, read 292,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Drugs screw people up? People screw themselves up, period. I know people that smoked crack at 13 too, now they have respectable jobs. I know someone who detoxed on their own from severe dual opiod/benzo addiction and didn't miss a day of work. They described it as 3 months of sheer hell, but it didn't interfere with what they had to do to support themselves.

Drugs are a excuse for losers who screw up their lives and needs something to blame. Just like with everything else in life, if you are looking for something to bring you down, it isn't hard to go find it, just don't blame the horse for giving you a lift to where you told him to take you.

thats ridiculous and extreme i dont know anyone whom smoked crack at thirteen and has a legit job right now...not to say it doesnt happen but u can be rest assured 99% wont make that turn around, not to mention name a good community that is flooded with drugs...drugs are not the only factors but again drugs are a huge factor when it comes to crime...an again like said if i was white i wouldnt have been treated in that manner and im sure if my brother was white he wouldnt have been treated in the same manner...i dont see y u r actin like this isnt common behavior...our city unfortunately is very racist but instead of acknowleging that that these things are wrong and that everyone deserves to be treated the same u come up with an excuse or reason as to how u can justify being treated as a second class citizen

Old 04-29-2011, 07:42 PM

Nobody deserves to be treated like a second class citizen, but living in Baltimore, alot of things that other communities take for granted, like forgetting to lock your car at night, can easily turn into becoming a victim of a crime. Fear isn't a good thing, or a good way to live, but I understand it.

As for the drugs. Everywhere has a drug problem. City, country, or suburb it doesn't matter much. People with their heads on straight can use and still have lives outside of their drug use or addiction. People without anything else base their entire lives on the drug and it becomes their excuse to be losers

Drugs don't screw people up, people make decisions that screw themselves. It is similar to the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" line of thinking. The same losers that blame crack or smack for screwing themselves up would have just been alcoholics back in the day. And for the record I know many, many people that used hard drugs at a young age that now successful members of the workforce, even the ones that still use.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 AM

7 posts, read 18,837 times
Default Response to the Wire/MICA

I am a native Baltimorean and I was not impressed with the Wire. What is most interesting is that people see the WIRE as a truth. I think the truth was extremly stretched. One season that focused on the Baltimore City Schools System, show a "white male" teacher, former cop, do goodier who decided to teach. It showed the school dirty and not ready for students. That was a not a true depiction of city schools opening thier doors in September for students. A major scene that captures Baltimore City Police creating an area in West Baltimore for All drug selling to take place, come on people -entertainment, not truth. I can go on and on, but again, I am amazed at what people take as the truth.

And yes, I am sure there are reasons why West Baltimore looks the way it looks. Absolutely, when it comes to Black folks you must dicuss and include racism, and racist practices which has an underpinging desire for money and chaos. So professor, Black folks don;t want your pity, I think, if you take the time to dialogue with people, you will see and better understand, that your perception, what you see, it not what really is. The people are rich in history, story, culture, sharing, and hope. They are not sad and tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore