U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 AM

775 posts, read 1,499,192 times

Advertisements

Take time to read this. David Simon's comments are interesting.

When you’re in love with a broken city | Grist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 AM

274 posts, read 539,930 times
Thanks for posting. SObering and depressing and embarrassing that things are the way they are.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:22 AM

206 posts, read 389,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Interesting to see you posting this. Did you learn anything?

Wish the author could spend a bit of time with some of us who live on the opposite side of that line. It's not so scary after all. It's not easy, certainly. But I think it's important to keep some struggle in your life, and not just turn a blind eye. David Simon's a bright guy.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,777,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Take time to read this. David Simon's comments are interesting.

When you’re in love with a broken city | Grist
Sounds like another guilt wracked white liberal.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:42 PM

4,562 posts, read 7,623,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sounds like another guilt wracked white liberal.
Bingo. She seems ashamed that the city is using the police to keep the nice parts from decending into chaos like the bad parts rather than..... I don't know if she offered an alternative other than self-guilt and loathing the kids attending college in Bolton Hill for being rich and white. Also saying the "drug war" only affects the blighted "brown, black and poor" neighborhoods is incorrect. Drugs, and the "war" on drugs affect every community in America.

Being on drugs isn't an excuse to be a loser. I know lots of "addicts" that get up in the morning, go to work, and live normal lifes, they just happen to also be addicted to drugs. Drugs don't screw people up, people screw themselves up then blame drugs as the excuse; just like a clumsy person tripping and blaming the street curb for getting in their way.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,884,582 times
I wouldn't call it a thoughtful article. She's simply describing something as it exists. Baltimore has a drug problem. Baltimore has a poor-unemployed-urban-black-male problem. We've known this for years. For decades even, so what's new?

Neighborhoods like Bolton Hill and Guilford should be commended for taking on the initiative to pay for private police protection. That the residents are willing to take on the extra financial burden on top of already an outrageous tax rate, says quite a bit about the commitment many people have to Baltimore despite its many problems.

Likewise, while many people make Baltimore work for them, others shouldn't be criticized for leaving when the city no longer works. We have lived in Baltimore for thirty years but I don't wish to be lauded as a hero for not "succumbing to the paranioa of suburban flight," as someone once described me at a dinner party. If we couldn't have afforded private schools or the high property taxes of North Baltimore or if crime had escalated in our part of town, we wouldn't have hesitated to move to Baltimore or Howard counties. City, state, federal and nonprofits agencies have poured untold billions of tax revenues into trying to correct the urban problem but without much success, so individual citizens should not be criticized for making the best decisions for the well-being of their families and to refuse to act as guinea pigs in a continually failing social reform experiment.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 AM

226 posts, read 290,589 times
yeah this essay is spot on, im a black male and i can recall before i bought a house in reservoir hill, i was walking around bolton hill with my wife and the police kept following me and eyeballing me like i was a criminal...i have a brother whom used to deliver flowers for a shop near belvedere and york rd, most of the deliveries were for customers in the guilford neighborhood, he told me most of the time the customers would not even open their doors when he came to deliver the flowers even though he was wearing a uniform and had a company van...basically to some people being black in this city equals being poor and criminal...and yes drugs do screw people up especially if your young and exposed to a dangerous substance...i know of a mother(she is white) whom smokes crack with her 13 yr old daughter, now the daughter is a prostitute

Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Bingo. She seems ashamed that the city is using the police to keep the nice parts from decending into chaos like the bad parts rather than..... I don't know if she offered an alternative other than self-guilt and loathing the kids attending college in Bolton Hill for being rich and white. Also saying the "drug war" only affects the blighted "brown, black and poor" neighborhoods is incorrect. Drugs, and the "war" on drugs affect every community in America.

Being on drugs isn't an excuse to be a loser. I know lots of "addicts" that get up in the morning, go to work, and live normal lifes, they just happen to also be addicted to drugs. Drugs don't screw people up, people screw themselves up then blame drugs as the excuse; just like a clumsy person tripping and blaming the street curb for getting in their way.
She should send her kids, if she has some, to the Baltimore City Public School in the surrounding area. Then her kids can tell her their experiences with diversity.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 AM

152 posts, read 421,157 times
Typical -- the guilty white person in a relative position of power criticizes failed institutions for ruining Baltimore. She seems content to ignore her own agency and just blame the institutions, just as David Simon does most of the time. While I agree that institutions are often corrupt and inefficient, it's a little sad that the people with the power to at least influence them in a positive way would rather stand on the sidelines and talk about their love for The Wire's more Dickensian aspects.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
yeah this essay is spot on, im a black male and i can recall before i bought a house in reservoir hill, i was walking around bolton hill with my wife and the police kept following me and eyeballing me like i was a criminal...i have a brother whom used to deliver flowers for a shop near belvedere and york rd, most of the deliveries were for customers in the guilford neighborhood, he told me most of the time the customers would not even open their doors when he came to deliver the flowers even though he was wearing a uniform and had a company van...basically to some people being black in this city equals being poor and criminal...and yes drugs do screw people up especially if your young and exposed to a dangerous substance...i know of a mother(she is white) whom smokes crack with her 13 yr old daughter, now the daughter is a prostitute
Better to be safe than sorry. I'm Black and lived near Belvedere & York when I went to Morgan and I don't blame these folks one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore