U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 PM

274 posts, read 539,481 times

Advertisements

Here I am again asking about neighborhoods. I'm just trying to do some homework before I buy. Saw some nice houses on Ellwood and Robinson ...just south of Baltimore Ave...north of Pratt...in that little L on the north east corner of Patterson Park, so technically Highlandtown...very near the Elementary school (is that a bad school? good school?). I know north of Bmore ave is shaky and being so close to Bmore Ave has me worried with parking and such, but those are my only concerns. I liked the houses, the neighbors seemed normal, neat, and kept their homes clean and in order...what would ya'll out there tell your sisters, daughters, mothers, friends, who are SWF's in their 30's about this area? Safe to buy in? Good locale? I'm leaning on making an offer soon! aaaah!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,725,881 times
(It's Baltimore Street)

Also, there's such a variety of opinions on safety because safety just a matter of perception. If it was me, I'd visit first, then ask around.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,946 times
ok long time lurker, first time poster figure I'd post since I live in the area. If you are looking to buy you understand the neighborhood is not canton or fed hill, its a transitional neighborhood. With that said I rented in Canton for two years before I bough in Patterson Park, and can tell you there is a stronger sense of community up here. I know my neighbors and there is a tight knit neighborhood association here, I cannot say that was the case in Canton (some might say that is because I now own instead of renting, and that might be a valid point). My advice before you buy is visit the property in the day and at night, on warm days and on cold days (yes it matters what the temp is). I'm pretty sure the school you mention is no longer in use and is slated to be turned into apartments (with the economy we will see when that happens). As for parking, I find it funny when people in the neighborhood complain about available parking....its nowhere near as bad as Canton, Fells, or Fed Hill, also if parking is the worst of your worries the neighborhood can't be that bad. With that said, if you enjoy using Patterson Park you will find this is a great place to live. One last piece of advice, try to find out how may owner occupied properties there are on the block you are looking at, it can make a world of difference.

Last edited by bmoreparkside; 05-01-2011 at 01:54 AM..

Old 05-01-2011, 03:41 AM

4,180 posts, read 12,760,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Here I am again asking about neighborhoods. I'm just trying to do some homework before I buy. Saw some nice houses on Ellwood and Robinson ...just south of Baltimore Ave...north of Pratt...in that little L on the north east corner of Patterson Park, so technically Highlandtown...very near the Elementary school (is that a bad school? good school?). I know north of Bmore ave is shaky and being so close to Bmore Ave has me worried with parking and such, but those are my only concerns. I liked the houses, the neighbors seemed normal, neat, and kept their homes clean and in order...what would ya'll out there tell your sisters, daughters, mothers, friends, who are SWF's in their 30's about this area? Safe to buy in? Good locale? I'm leaning on making an offer soon! aaaah!
I am also in the neighborhood on Baltimore Street. The area you are looking at is fine. The neighborhood starts to get sketchy north of Fayette. Both Ellwood and Robinson have lots of owners and many attend the neighborhood association meetings. We also have a strong yahoo group that you could join to get inside information about the neighborhood. People posts all of their thoughts/concerns on it-both good and bad.

Two links that may help:

Welcome to Patterson Park, Baltimore's Best Neighborhood!

Patterson Park Neighborhood Association, Baltimore MD

Old 05-01-2011, 03:45 AM

4,180 posts, read 12,760,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreparkside View Post
ok long time lurker, first time poster figure I'd post since I live in the area. If you are looking to buy you understand the neighborhood is not canton or fed hill, its a transitional neighborhood. With that said I rented in Canton for two years before I bough in Patterson Park, and can tell you there is a stronger sense of community up here. I know my neighbors and there is a tight knit neighborhood association here, I cannot say that was the case in Canton (some might say that is because I now own instead of renting, and that might be a valid point). My advice before you buy is visit the property in the day and at night, on warm days and on cold days (yes it matters what the temp is). I'm pretty sure the school you mention is no longer in use and is slated to be turned into apartments (with the economy we will see when that happens). As for parking, I find it funny when people in the neighborhood complain about available parking....its nowhere near as bad as Canton, Fells, or Fed Hill, also if parking is the worst of your worries the neighborhood can't be that bad. With that said, if you enjoy using Patterson Park you will find this is a great place to live. One last piece of advice, try to find out how may owner occupied properties there are on the block you are looking at, it can make a world of difference.
I forgot. The school you mentioned. If it's the big one that is art deco, that is slated for apartments with some retail. Last I heard, they were doing the tests on the building for asbestos, etc. Parking is supposed to be contained in the building so that should not be an issue.

highlandtownmiddleschoolstory - robbiewhelan

Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 AM

274 posts, read 539,481 times
Wow thanks so much for the responses. I had an overall good feeling about the area. So hopefully my financing goes through if I make an offer!! Thanks!!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:10 AM

5,668 posts, read 7,258,650 times
Yeah the school that's no longer in use is the one on Pratt that's basically right across from the park, which seems to be in the area the OP was referring to. But as you guys said, that was a middle school (the OP said elementary); there actually is an elementary school a couple blocks east on Pratt that as far as I know is still in use (I think walking by one time it said something on it about that's where people vote?).

But anyway, the park is great, if the houses are as close to the park as it sounds like, for the most part the area isn't bad, but as in most parts of the city, you may not want to be walking around alone after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore