U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 AM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,589,092 times

Advertisements

If given the opportunity to really make a difference in a neighborhood inside city limits but outside of the harbor area, which would you choose and why? You had assurances from commercial developers to bring in good retail and you had assurances from the city to provide first class city services. Basically, the city came to you and said, "I want you to make ________ neighborhood a showcase for the new Baltimore", which neighborhood would you choose and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:46 AM

80 posts, read 103,790 times
Outside of the ones that are already gentrified......none.
I would say Harlem Park but no....
Thought about Cherry Hill too since theres no reason for Baltimore to have a housing project that large still standing... that place is TERRIBLE.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:46 AM

226 posts, read 290,778 times
reservoir hill because of its location next to druid hill park and its historic architecture the neighborhood would really represent the old and new city, especially if the city makes a committment to restoring the park as a centerpiece of the city

Old 05-03-2011, 07:52 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,740,139 times
My own (Waverly). It's got a lot of potential.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:15 AM

4,383 posts, read 15,047,620 times
I think both Waverly and Res Hill have some active revitalization going on so im sure one day these will be awesome neighborhoods one day (not that theyre already not in any way)

My top picks would be Broadway East, Parkview Woodbrook, and Upton along with Madison Park. I just love the architecture in all of these and would absolutely love to see them back on their feet. I think Parkview Woodbrook actually has the best chance, as it has the Achentoroly terrace, Druid Hill Park along with the greenhouse right there, and mondawmin mall on its other side.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 AM

5,741 posts, read 8,816,729 times
Interesting tread.. I only say that because the word gentrification, for some, has a negative connotation. But in the spirit of speculation.. The four neighborhoods that I would pick would be Edmonson Village, Park Heights, Pennsy Ave, and the neighborhoods along the highway to nowhere/redline. I pick these because they will likely be the hardest to revitalize.

Edmonson Village- love the location between downtown, the County, and DC for commuting.. redline will make it more accessible, and it is along the Gwynn Falls Trail. The new Uplands development is a great opportunity to bring in more retail. The entire redline through the westside represents an unique opportunity that though certainly an uphill battle.

Park Heights.. Nice housing stock near park circle, great location near druid hill park, Mondawmin Mall, three subway stations and several commercial nodes. THe main opportunity is Pimlico Race Track which could be redeveloped into a HUGE mixed use development in the City.

Pennsy Ave- near Bolton Hill, Seton Hill, and Druid Hill Park.. Great opportunity to promote heritage tourism and could be Baltimore's version of Beale Street. Concentrate venues like the Great Blacks in Wax and the Negro League Baseball Museum along the street.. .promote the Ave Market and Bowling Alley, Library, Two Subway Stations and State Center is nearby.

The entire "highway to nowhere" corridor should be redeveloped.. interesting ideas out there about decking over the highway with parks and new development particuliarly around the MARC Station.

Again these are mostly long shots.. thats why I picked them...

Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,740,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I think both Waverly and Res Hill have some active revitalization going on so im sure one day these will be awesome neighborhoods one day (not that theyre already not in any way)

My top picks would be Broadway East, Parkview Woodbrook, and Upton along with Madison Park. I just love the architecture in all of these and would absolutely love to see them back on their feet. I think Parkview Woodbrook actually has the best chance, as it has the Achentoroly terrace, Druid Hill Park along with the greenhouse right there, and mondawmin mall on its other side.
I agree with all of these, especially Upton.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,422,130 times
I'd love to see Reservoir Hill just because it is so architecturally stunning, and Cherry Hill Because it would make that Middle Branch Area so Nice, adding on the the great renovations that went on in Fed Hill and Locust Point.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 AM

277 posts, read 1,286,665 times
Wow! So many great comments, I don't know what to pick....

Harlem Park, Druid Hill, Madison Park, Res Hill and Penns Ave. could all use a lift. I know the East side could use some help like Highland and North of Patterson Park.

It's a nice dream

Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 AM

4,180 posts, read 12,771,967 times
I would hit the neighborhoods closest to the areas already seeing improvements. Go east from Hopkins and north from Fayette up to Monument.

I would find areas that are semi or almost completely vacant. The area around lower Harford Road (Gay and Ensor Streets) by Orleans Street with all of the parking lots and empty land.

A greater resolve in Reservoir Hill to bring it up to it's potential.

Assuming Westport is still an eventual happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or