U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,440,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
On the news last night.. residents of Linthicum are trying to shut down their Light Rail stop.. If that happens you best believe other areas may follow suit. The MTA may need to be careful in their deliberation of this one.. even limiting the hours could worsen an already poorly designed system.. this station closes at 8pm that one closes at 9pm the system closes at 1am will make the system useless.
Perhaps I'm missing something. Can someone come-up with a legitimate reason why a stop should be shutdown prior to the entire line being shutdown -- other than to reduce cost or transit time? Otherwise, hearing this story is making me feel a bit upset -- if my instincts are correct.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 10:12 AM

4,180 posts, read 12,762,256 times
Every now and then a group of citizens in a given neighborhood gets their dander up about metro and light rail stations. It happens in many places. The Lithicum Station will remain.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,624,383 times
I looked at the Area , i guess they don't make the connection to the Various highways and Major roads intersecting near there town. Any town or City that has a Highway or Major road running through it tends to have higher crime. Then say a town without it , thats a fact...

Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 AM

5,733 posts, read 8,800,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something. Can someone come-up with a legitimate reason why a stop should be shutdown prior to the entire line being shutdown -- other than to reduce cost or transit time? Otherwise, hearing this story is making me feel a bit upset -- if my instincts are correct.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Residents were complaining about muggings and vandalism are "up" because of the station. The MTA set themselves up for this one.. they should have just increase police patrols. The news report made it seem though that they were seriously considering limiting the hours... which I think will set a bad prescedence. If this happens.. community groups will come out of the wood work and use any incident to limit station hours. Evenutally the Light Rail would be limited to an express from BWI to downtown or to just along Howard Street in the evenings... if some communities have their way. MTA needs to tread softly with this one.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:44 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,108,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I looked at the Area , i guess they don't make the connection to the Various highways and Major roads intersecting near there town. Any town or City that has a Highway or Major road running through it tends to have higher crime. Then say a town without it , thats a fact...
honestly this area is pathetic ppl smoke inside of the subway stations these baltimore folk are disgusting beyond comprehension. even NYC doesnt have ppl smoking all over in subway stations and in the trains with no respect for others. So many ppl with deadly BO its really annoying heck I would recommend u get a car to avoid the BO moments its that bad.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 PM

4,180 posts, read 12,762,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
honestly this area is pathetic ppl smoke inside of the subway stations these baltimore folk are disgusting beyond comprehension. even NYC doesnt have ppl smoking all over in subway stations and in the trains with no respect for others. So many ppl with deadly BO its really annoying heck I would recommend u get a car to avoid the BO moments its that bad.
This is so odd. I have been riding the metro and light rail for years and have never seen a smoker in one. The bo? There's some stank but not any worse than the smells on subways in other towns (New Jersey for one).

Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,727,693 times
Never seen smoking on any MTA service or in any subway stations.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 AM

Shut Linthicum station, most tell MTA at hearing, while others say station is their transportation lifeline - baltimoresun.com

the saga continues.. part of the problem I think is that the MTA and the state need to step up the development around light rail stations. These stations that are isolated or sitting in an ocean of a parking lot are fitting targets for criminals and the like to prey on passengers. Coldspring is probably the WORST Light Rail Station in the system. I dont think even criminals hang out there because they are afraid of getting robbed and having their mangled bodies tossed into the Jones Falls River only to wash up at the inner harbor days later. The more people that live and work around these stations.. the less likely you are to have criminal activity.. the more "good folks" present the less "bad guys" want to be around and/or they feel less comfortable being bad when they can be identified by people (not just a camera). Case in point.. How many light rail muggings occur during morning or evening rush hour??? Even the most thuggiest thug doesnt want to put up with the scrutiny of morning commuters that are actually going to work for a living. The fitzgerald near Mt. Royal is another example.. the college students and professionals living there will not put up with a dangerous light rail station next to their homes.. they wouldnt close it. .they would just make sure that people hell bent on mugging and loitering wouldnt hang around there. In the Case of Linthicum. they need to explore how they can further "populate" the station rather than abandoning it or closing it. I dont know whats around the station but it may be worth getting urban planners involved and seeing what they can come up with to augment the obvious things of additional security fencing etc...

Old 05-20-2011, 08:15 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,727,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Shut Linthicum station, most tell MTA at hearing, while others say station is their transportation lifeline - baltimoresun.com

the saga continues.. part of the problem I think is that the MTA and the state need to step up the development around light rail stations. These stations that are isolated or sitting in an ocean of a parking lot are fitting targets for criminals and the like to prey on passengers. Coldspring is probably the WORST Light Rail Station in the system. I dont think even criminals hang out there because they are afraid of getting robbed and having their mangled bodies tossed into the Jones Falls River only to wash up at the inner harbor days later. The more people that live and work around these stations.. the less likely you are to have criminal activity.. the more "good folks" present the less "bad guys" want to be around and/or they feel less comfortable being bad when they can be identified by people (not just a camera). Case in point.. How many light rail muggings occur during morning or evening rush hour??? Even the most thuggiest thug doesnt want to put up with the scrutiny of morning commuters that are actually going to work for a living. The fitzgerald near Mt. Royal is another example.. the college students and professionals living there will not put up with a dangerous light rail station next to their homes.. they wouldnt close it. .they would just make sure that people hell bent on mugging and loitering wouldnt hang around there. In the Case of Linthicum. they need to explore how they can further "populate" the station rather than abandoning it or closing it. I dont know whats around the station but it may be worth getting urban planners involved and seeing what they can come up with to augment the obvious things of additional security fencing etc...
Linthicum has no parking lot. There's a walkway straight into the commerical district of Linthicum. It is a perfect example of non-car based transit.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Linthicum has no parking lot. There's a walkway straight into the commerical district of Linthicum. It is a perfect example of non-car based transit.

Yikes.. this is probably the second most poorly developed Light Rail Station in the system. I dont think the station should be closed.. IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER OPENED.....

This is a perfect example of how transit planners plan transit in this areas and city/urban planners not being at the table. This station screams poor planning. Since it IS there however; AA County should look at how that can redifine "downtown Linthincum especially from the Royal Farms northward to the School and on the side next to the tracks. Buy out those few homes and try to create some addtional housing, office, and retail to complement the station. maybe they should consider putting up a fence with a gate to separate the residential section west of the station from the station as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore