U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:40 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,430,289 times

Advertisements

Baltimore lost population but saw many gains in young educated people and families, which are your future leaders, developers and business owners. Some of the lesser neighborhoods are definitely losing population, but the downtown area saw a big jump, and Population will always be steady in the nice northern Baltimore neighborhoods.

Downtown has been a pretty amazing revitalization, and more huge things are on the herizon like the Super Block, the new Arena, Harbor Pointe and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM

144 posts, read 323,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Not sure where you got this info. Last census showed Baltimore population decreased by over 30,000. Slowing-yes. Reversed-no.
Yes, but most of that loss occured in the earlier half of the decade. That is a TEN year period, alot happens in ten years.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 PM

144 posts, read 323,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Baltimore lost population but saw many gains in young educated people and families, which are your future leaders, developers and business owners. Some of the lesser neighborhoods are definitely losing population, but the downtown area saw a big jump, and Population will always be steady in the nice northern Baltimore neighborhoods.

Downtown has been a pretty amazing revitalization, and more huge things are on the herizon like the Super Block, the new Arena, Harbor Pointe and more.
Definately, and firms like Aegon, Under Armour, Walmart, and Lowes have put a vote of confidence in for Baltimore.
If there is abundant vacant office space downtown someone should consider converting it to condos and apartments, the prices are high enough that I know there is demand.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM

4,180 posts, read 12,802,105 times
Maryland Traditions

Folklife festival will be held in the park on June 18th. The link is above.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:12 PM

Patterson Park Fall Home Tour 2011 (http://pattersonparkneighbors.org/HomeTour/ - broken link)

Patterson Park is having a home tour on October 1.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 PM

773 posts, read 2,016,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Patterson Park is enormous and a great place. At this point it is surrounded by nice housing on all sides. Baltimore has great park space.
I thought Patterson was a great place when I lived there a long while ago, even though the "park police" would run us. (First base was the tree, second base was the bare spot, third place was "over there somewhere." No parents were to be seen on a midsummer's workday.) If the police caught us up in a tree, we were sure to be taken to the park police "office," about one block south of Milton & Luzerne. At first I thought they would report me to my parents or to the Sister Superior at St. Elizabeth's. Later I learned the value of an alias. It was the start of a slippery slope.

A great Victorian park:

Quote:
After the war, Baltimore architect George A. Frederick established the lovely Victorian character that has distinguished Patterson Park to this day. The 60-foot high Pagoda, designed by Baltimore architect Charles H. Latrobe, was built in 1891 (the Pagoda reflects Baltimoreans’ fascination with the Orient and William Patterson’s link to the silk trade in China) ... the Olmsted Brothers (famous for their creation of Central Park in New York City) developed a design for the eastern section of the park that was intended to accommodate and promote active recreation.
I always visit the northwest corner of the park near the "goldfish pond" whenever I visit fom Chicago. I can remember when the "goldfish pond" actually contained goldfish (big ones).

Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 AM

759 posts, read 1,042,613 times
Things I miss about the old Patterson Park:
1) Hookers and cruisers on every block of Baltimore St.
2) Hot Boyz slinging dope, coke and ready behind the maintenance building.
3) Free cars available in boat lake.
4) Terrified yuppies running from club-wielding horse cops.
5) Packs of wild pit bulls running the park.
6) All the used syringes you could ever need.
7) The "ladies" who did the two-girl shows in the house on Linwood.

Yes, I missed all of these things when I visited the Park last month. Fortunately, I found them when I returned last week.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:21 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,430,289 times
Is there another Patterson Park? Sure you weren't at Clifton Park?

Old 09-02-2011, 12:59 PM

759 posts, read 1,042,613 times
Actually, since the Baltimore Municipal Golf Corporation took over administration of most of Clifton Park from the city several years ago, it has become considerably safer than previously. I would still avoid the areas around the pool, the pump station and the bandstand; however, the fencing bounding the trails leading to the schools are now much higher and stouter than when the city ran the park.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Things I miss about the old Patterson Park:
1) Hookers and cruisers on every block of Baltimore St.
2) Hot Boyz slinging dope, coke and ready behind the maintenance building.
3) Free cars available in boat lake.
4) Terrified yuppies running from club-wielding horse cops.
5) Packs of wild pit bulls running the park.
6) All the used syringes you could ever need.
7) The "ladies" who did the two-girl shows in the house on Linwood.

Yes, I missed all of these things when I visited the Park last month. Fortunately, I found them when I returned last week.

Gigi - 22 "I Remember It Well" - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore