U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 12:06 PM

23 posts, read 61,908 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm in the process of installing solar on my house. Since I'm very technically minded, I did all my research, designed the system myself, dropped by the permitting office multiple times to verify that my designs were OK with them and I had everything that I needed to get a permit, and got an electrician lined up to do the electrical side of things.

However, once all of that was done and the materials had been delivered (and a new roof installed), I went down to the permitting office to pull the mechanical permit, and for the first time they told me that I'd need a contractor's license to do the work. Thanks for letting me know ahead of time, guys.

So, now I need a contractor to pull the permit and help me out. Frankly, I'd rather have someone just pull the permit and let me do all the work, but I suspect that I'll have trouble finding someone willing to do that for me...and so I need someone who is, at least, flexible about letting me lend a hand. I don't want to pay some exorbitant amount to sit back sipping lemonade and watch someone else put everything up if I can help it.

Has anyone ever worked alongside a contractor in this way? Any references/recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 PM

26,873 posts, read 57,924,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagec View Post
So, now I need a contractor...
for the whole job?
or just the electrical portion of it?

Quote:
to pull the permit and help me out.
help you out
you can forget that whole line of thinking, bub.

If you really need a contractor for the WHOLE job including the electrical connection aspect (note that I keep coming back to that) then they're gonna charge what they charge to do the work.

So, what *type* of permit (and contractor) are they saying you need that your "electrician" isn't able to do for you?

Old 05-14-2011, 03:55 PM

1,759 posts, read 4,264,202 times
Yeah doubtful any contractor will pull a permit for you then let you do the work since they are liable unless you are BFF's.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 AM

23 posts, read 61,908 times
Basically, I already have an electrician who can pull the electrical permit and do the electrical portion of the job. But I need someone to pull the mechanical permit and install the physical panels, since the city feels that I am unable to.

Yeah, I know it's wishful thinking that I'd actually be able to do it myself. Pity, since I'm pretty much going to have to be there anyway to make sure that it's done right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or