U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 AM

83 posts, read 366,393 times

Advertisements

It's an interesting phenomenon but it's not unique to Baltimore. It's no different than when I grew up in Montgomery County, MD or lived in Northern VA as an adult.

Cross-race effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In-Group Out-Group Bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:42 AM

2,888 posts, read 3,397,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltomod View Post
Why is it not a priority for everyone here -- black and white -- to integrate this city more thoroughly? .
Baltomod -- I am not trying to single you out, but I so disagree with your thoughts that I would like to make another comment offering a different point of view:

In my opinion, the highest priority for the City of Baltimore should be to extirpate crime by whatever means necessary using everything from social workers and peer pressure, to jackboots, nightsticks, handcuffs, swat teams, and the National Guard. This will give decent people of all races a chance to have better lives. Once people who live in Homeland (just for example) stop hearing gunshots from across York Road they may be more receptive to people who live across York Road. Then work on education or training, next on jobs, then urban renewal, and finally on voluntary integration, if that's what people in fact want (People may not. Don't assume that people of other races necessarily want to socialize with you.)

Perhaps you would need to have known Baltimore 60 years ago and witnessed its fall as I did to understand what I am saying.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,587,340 times
all major cities have forms of segregation. whether it is social or racial. baltimore's is just more pronounced than most. why? i think it begins in the school system. jewish people have their schools, blacks mostly attend public schools, and non-jewish whites who have children and live in the city mostly send their kids to private school. i've noticed this a lot. even in most of the colleges in baltimore, it seems really segregated among the locally raised students. it's almost as if each group doesn't know how to interact with one another. weird.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,419,803 times
Baltimore is one of the oldest cities in America, and their are a lot neighborhoods that were created by specific ethnic groups. South east Baltimore has it's Italian, Greek, Ukranian, Jewish, and polish segments.

I find there not be a lot of anger so much associated with race but with social class. The working class in Baltimore is taxed like crazy, and that creates a lot of anger towards people on assistance, especially when you have to read about all the gun shots, education numbers and a crumbling family structure.

In federal hill, most people here are young professional or upper class, and no one seems to care what race, religion or ethnicity you are as long as you are a good neighbor. When fed hill was transitioning there was a lot of resentment between the lower class white people and the new crop, many of which are white.

Last edited by KLynch10; 05-16-2011 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 PM

558 posts, read 1,137,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Once people who live in Homeland (just for example) stop hearing gunshots from across York Road they may be more receptive to people who live across York Road.
To be fair, Homeland residents really don't have to contend with that much gunfire from Govans. On the other hand, move a bit south on York and Guilford residents hear the gunshots from Pen Lucy all the time. While there certainly exists a steep socioeconomic drop once you cross York from Homeland into Govans, it's nowhere near as extreme as going from Guilford to Pen Lucy.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:20 PM

4,180 posts, read 12,762,256 times
According to the 2010 census, Baltimore is not in the top 10 as the most segregated.

U.S. 2010 CENSUS: THE 10 MOST SEGREGATED CITIES IN AMERICA | BEAUTIFUL, ALSO, ARE THE SOULS OF MY BLACK SISTERS

On a personal note, I lived in Boston, Detroit, and Milwaukee: all of which seem more segregated than Baltimore. This is a national issue along with a local issue. But let's get our facts straight. Yes, there is segregation in Baltimore as there is throughout the entire country; if not the world for that matter. I won't even get into the class segregation that exists in Mexico where I also lived for three years.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:50 PM

5,733 posts, read 8,800,659 times
Philadelphia??? must be Philadelphia, Mississippi I recall that great line from 'In the heat of the night' with Sidney Poiter.

"Where are you from, boy?"- Chief Gillespie

"Philadelphia.."- Virgil Tibbs

"Mississippi?"- Chief Gillespie

"No.....Pennsylvania" Virgil Tibbs

Old 05-16-2011, 03:00 PM

4,180 posts, read 12,762,256 times
Another study on segregation in Baltimore ranks it 39th.

Racial Segregation Study of Baltimore Metro

Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM

97 posts, read 111,762 times
Why is the world so segregated?

I live in the deep south and it is the same way and when I visit NYC it is the same way. If anything, there are no truly integrated areas of the US. As a matter of fact, the upper class are more inclined to stay within their own group, intermingling happens more with the lower classes and even then it is not common. People have a tendency to stay with their own group, no reason to put one area in a corner about this, it is common everywhere.

Do not let anyone from a foreign country convince you the grass is greener on the other side. Western Europe is equally as segregated as the US and if not even more.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:46 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,036,042 times
As unfortunate as it may sound, it somewhat has to do with human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or