Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:08 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times

Advertisements

Its not just the Baltimore area. Cities that have experienced large amounts of white flight is more likely to be more racially segregated than cites that haven't had a long history of white flight. Cities that have experienced white flight tend to have a minority-majority city(usually a black majority) while the suburbs is a white majority. Philadelphia is a perfect example of that model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltomod View Post
This is an old question, but it ought to be irrelevant. It seems to me that there is an inherent distrust between the races here in Baltimore and a hostility that is based upon ignorance of each other. If you live in separate worlds, how do you expect to understand each other, even if you are just down the street from one another?

What bothers me is that no one ever talks about this here. Back where I come from in the middle of the country, we do talk about it quite a bit. Yes, it's segregated there too, but somehow it's not quite as obvious as it is here. And there's a real sense that people are trying to change it.

I know the reason for the ongoing segregation in Baltimore is partly economic and partly historic, but it feels like an anachronism. Baltimore ought to be on the cutting edge of racial integration, as it once was on the cutting edge of segregation, as I can see from Barante's post. Why is it not a priority for everyone here -- black and white -- to integrate this city more thoroughly?

And no, I don't mean forced integration, which we all know doesn't work. I mean make a conscious effort to enable groups of people who traditionally turned their backs on each other, to turn around and talk with each other. Get together and figure out how we all can get along and work to make this a better, maybe even a great city. I don't see this happening at all, at least not in the year since I moved here.

I just found this five year old article from Urbanite:

The Elephant in the City | History | Urbanite Baltimore Magazine (http://www.urbanitebaltimore.com/baltimore/the-elephant-in-the-city/Content?oid=1246619 - broken link)

The article explains a lot about the history of what I'm talking about. Sadly, it appears that nothing has changed in five years.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but when you moved to B-more, which neighborhood did you pick? Was it one that was majority your own race? Would you move over to the other side of that "invisible line" right now if you had the chance? I think you may understand the "group" dynamic better if you are able to analyse the rationelle behind your own decisions.

As for why nobody "talks about it." I think it is because most people are comfortable with who they associate with. I loved Hamish's post about social engineering in friend groups. Is that how we should live? Should I feel ashamed that my friends are white? Should I go make "a black friend" to invite to parties so we look like the Burger King Kids club in our snapshots? Should I feel guilty that segregation isn't at the top of my talking points list?

Did any of the "talk" about segregation where you were from in the Midwest actually lead to any personal action on your part, or group action in the community or was it just talk to make people feel the prescribed level of guilt that popular culture says we are supposed to feel about race?

Last edited by westsideboy; 05-16-2011 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltomod View Post
I drive past Poly almost every afternoon just as the kids are coming out of school. I see them walk past my car, and looking at their faces, they look smart. So how come almost all of them are black? If these are the smartest kids in the city, how come the smartest white kids aren't going to Poly?
Poly is 80% black. A white would be preyed upon going there. It's sad, but it's true. It is not a phenomenon particular to Baltimore. The situation is the same in Chicago.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:21 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Poly is 80% black. A white would be preyed upon going there. It's sad, but it's true. It is not a phenomenon particular to Baltimore. The situation is the same in Chicago.
Preyed upon? Jesus. Get a hold of yourself. I've got a number of white friends who went to city and poly. They were not preyed upon. Poly students often take my bus home. The white ones are not preyed upon, nor am I. I live near City College. I don't see white students preyed upon.

Not only did they survive they did so while receiving a good education. Would it be the same at Frederick Douglass or Edmondson? I don't know. But these are good schools you're talking about here.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
I think segregation is more a state a mind than where you live.

Case in point.. pick a gentrifying neighborhood in any city, usa. The neighborhood may have been predominately white, then became african american (following white flight) and is now becoming white again. You drive through the area and it represents the epitomy of diversity..BUT the white residents (possibly middle upper income and younger) may not interact with the african american (possibly middle age or older )residents some of which may have taken on their children/grandchildren as part of extended families and visa versa. In some cases there is resentment on both sides.. the middle income (often white) newcomers resent or do not understand some of the conditions that exist in the neighborhood or other nuances associated with the neighborhood that have been accepted by the longer term residents. The reverse may also be true where the longer term residents resent the higher taxes brought on by the gentrification... or may feel snubbed (intentionally or not) at community events in neighborhood leadership by the more active newcomers or even resent the new found attention on the neighborhood, by the city and politicos, that didnt exist prior to the newbies arrival. Also, if one group actively avoids contact of another group to include living socializing, walking on the same street, talking to etc.. that is more of an active form of segregation than just moving to a neighborhood that is full of people that look like you.

I dont think people should start and affirmative action program and try to make artificial friends or move into neighborhoods just so they live among a certain race or group. I do think that if you are concerned about this.. Good.. Try to interact with people from whatever group that you have a guinuine interest.. a festival, event, social function etc same as you would as if you were networking to get into your new career field. Find people that have a similiar interest to your own. Contrary to popular belief all of "x" race of people are not alike and you are likely to find people that *gasp* have similiar interest as you (disclaimer: as long as you are not a racist hell bent on the distruction of "x" group ) . If you like them and they are good folks.. keep in touch..most people can evaluate your character and determine if you are guinuine or simply trying to be patronizing..which can be offensive.

There are no easy answers. I do think we should spend less time on where someone lives and more time on how we interact and treat one another.. You can live in a suburb or a city and be in a segregated community.. but have a network or social circles of diverse people based on common interest and goals and be totally fine. Its not necessarily ideal.. but its a more realistic way to begin to "talk about" segregation and to begin to break down barriers. That is the side of the equation that we should spend most of our time and effort

Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,398 times
Quote:
please stop talking out of the side of your neck. it's like saying a black kid would be preyed on in an 80% white majority school. it's 2011, not 1911. i attended both majority black public and majority white private schools and i'd say my experiences at both schools were good. kids are kids regardless of color.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:26 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,589 times
The fact remains that Poly is predominately black. There must be a reason.

More white parents in Baltimore City send their kids to private schools than not.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
The fact remains that Poly is predominately black. There must be a reason.

More white parents in Baltimore City send their kids to private schools than not.
Baltimore is predominantly black. Could that be the reason?

Also, people with wealth everywhere send their kids to private schools.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 AM

6 posts, read 26,221 times
Quote:

Whom are you talking about? Those kids? At Poly? The ones I see walking home from school each day don't look like they are going to prey on anybody! They are going home to study!

And if 20% of Poly students are white, are those kids getting preyed upon? In what way?

I notice there are two semi-finalists in the Intel science competition from Poly this year -- one black and one white. The white guy was smiling in the photo, so I guess he's not getting preyed upon. And the black girl looks like preying is not on her agenda either (unless she's praying she wins the contest). She's too busy filling out her applications to Harvard and MIT!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:30 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,371 times
I don't know if this is the best site in the world, but according to this, Eastern Tech, Poly and Western are the 3 best performing Public High Schools in the state. Pretty sure everyone is just there to get a good education, not hate.

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/MD/sc...ool=0009000151
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore